My Wife Sold My Bike

100volts+

10 kW
My lovely wife sold my 2016 zx10r with my consent (under duress). She made up for it by buying me an Indian Chief Dark Horse which she said was more appropriate for a man over 60.

gym bike 1small.jpg
chief small.jpg

100volts+ said:
skeetab5780 I agree but my knee's and hips are glad she got a bike with a less aggressive riding position.

That I wont argue with!

Good on ya making it to 60 riding that. Not so sure I would. Getting a wife to allow a motorcycle is not always easy. Not so bad for me, since she is a hot air balloon pilot too. She gets risky fun, though here risk comfort level is way below mine.

Since my illness makes me physically weak at times, I went the faggy scooter route. And because of my evil throttle hand, a fairly slow 400cc burgman. The big fairing and wind screen really helps me last longer, to take real rides.

Even on a lame scoot, Emory Pass in southern NM is a hell of a ride. 20 miles of non stop hairpin turns, and from home to the turn around and back, a 240 mile day.

I judge the ride by how much tire I used, If I don't scuff 100% of the tread, I rode a bit lame. If I don't scuff the last 3/4 inch on the edge of the tire, I really rode like a pussy. For me its not about speed, Its about leaning through the corners.

Dogman Dan, I agree. Concentration is needed, though, to keep from losing the road because of target fixation on the twisties. The zx10r was great at slanting the horizon. The Chief is ok, but my Indian Scout bobber sucks on turns as I'm always scraping the pegs.

The day my wife gets to "allow" me to do anything is the day I say "next" after she hits the curb. I do agree with "happy wife = happy life", but it takes happy me as well, and that means doing whatever I want. The key is finding one who's perfect happy with you doing whatever you want.

As far as giving up one smoke belcher for another, I've got no interest. My car has remained parked for over a year now. I do have something nearly the size of the Indian in the works, but a bit lower and aerodynamically sleeker, and powered by 2 or possibly 3 HubMonsters (whatever it takes to flat out embarrass any cruiser smoker) driven by a 100 mile+ battery pack. I figure a 100x100 ebike is 100% feasible with what I already have on hand...that's a 100mph+ and 100 mile+ combo.

John, you might be able to embarrass a cruiser, but even with 5 hub monsters, you couldn't touch a zx10r that does 189 mph out of the showroom. 200mph+ with some cheap mods. I loved it but it's impractical for long road trips.

Why didn't you get a dual sport or touring bike... it really seems like both bikes were wrong for your application. You like to lean and ride to fast for the cruiser, You ride to long for the super sport. Theres literally a bunch of proper bikes for your application. Even a super cruiser like the Harley Davidson nightrod woulda been better.

John in CR said:
As far as giving up one smoke belcher for another, I've got no interest. My car has remained parked for over a year now. I do have something nearly the size of the Indian in the works, but a bit lower and aerodynamically sleeker, and powered by 2 or possibly 3 HubMonsters (whatever it takes to flat out embarrass any cruiser smoker) driven by a 100 mile+ battery pack. I figure a 100x100 ebike is 100% feasible with what I already have on hand...that's a 100mph+ and 100 mile+ combo.

All good within city limits, I really do wish battery technology would improve enough to get 200 miles plus on a charge, until then I'd ride my clunker and couldn't give a hop about a quick duct taped commuter, rides out here could get through several countries elsewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_17042018_231907.jpg
    IMG_17042018_231907.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 3,235
Even a super cruiser like the Harley Davidson nightrod woulda been better.

Tried the Nightrod/vrod, nice bikes but I needed a heavy cruiser for week long trips like the one that will take me though the Ozarks.PS the bobber doesn't lean as far as I like but the Chief does...and it rides like a cloud.

100volts+ said:
John, you might be able to embarrass a cruiser, but even with 5 hub monsters, you couldn't touch a zx10r that does 189 mph out of the showroom. 200mph+ with some cheap mods. I loved it but it's impractical for long road trips.

0-100mph sure it will. I have no interest in going faster until we get airborne.

dingoEsride said:
John in CR said:

All good within city limits, I really do wish battery technology would improve enough to get 200 miles plus on a charge, until then I'd ride my clunker and couldn't give a hop about a quick duct taped commuter, rides out here could get through several countries elsewhere.

We all wish battery tech would make a big jump, but at less weight than your bike pictured 200 mile range is fairly simple already.

Yes true if you shake off the K's, but this gets used for long and heavy sometimes two up hauls for overnight camping with maybe a dozen beers on board, don't get me wrong I love the way Ev's are going and there have been some ebikes that crossed this country with camp gear (about 3500kilometers) and thanks to people like you among others here who push to help make total ev power happen

Don't get me wrong either. I rode an electric bike to work for 5 years, which didn't have much range but could keep up with traffic, before I retired, and still ride occasionally.

dingoEsride said:
Yes true if you shake off the K's, but this gets used for long and heavy sometimes two up hauls for overnight camping with maybe a dozen beers on board, don't get me wrong I love the way Ev's are going and there have been some ebikes that crossed this country with camp gear (about 3500kilometers) and thanks to people like you among others here who push to help make total ev power happen

a regular customer of mine is getting finances in order so i can make him a 300km range honda goldwing conversion. he already got a old goldwing that his being stripped to the bone and a welder is in progress making brackets to hold the battery and motor. once that is done i get the bike and have to cram the biggest battery i can humanly fit in the frame and orginal cowlings.
gonna be a fun project.

fun fact: he got the idea after he showed me a article about some stupid fuel cell based scooter and kinda destroyed his ideas on hydrogen being the future as i explaned to him you can make a better bike by just having batteries instead of a stupid fuel cell for the same weight.

a regular customer of mine is getting finances in order so i can make him a 300km range honda goldwing conversion. he already got a old goldwing that his being stripped to the bone and a welder is in progress making brackets to hold the battery and motor. once that is done i get the bike and have to cram the biggest battery i can humanly fit in the frame and orginal cowlings.
gonna be a fun project.

fun fact: he got the idea after he showed me a article about some stupid fuel cell based scooter and kinda destroyed his ideas on hydrogen being the future as i explaned to him you can make a better bike by just having batteries instead of a stupid fuel cell for the same weight.
[/quote]

Great stuff mate, 300 would be about the range of most gas bikes so that should be the goal, I would like to do a touring conversion myself but maybe on a tired japanese bike, will there be a build thread? funny that over here we nicknamed them as the "Leadwing" but now it could be a lithium wing.

dingoEsride said:
Great stuff mate, 300 would be about the range of most gas bikes so that should be the goal, I would like to do a touring conversion myself but maybe on a tired japanese bike, will there be a build thread? funny that over here we nicknamed them as the "Leadwing" but now it could be a lithium wing.
yes, i will make a thread about this conversion when the time comes.

Back