What if there was no gas/petrol?

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Sunder
10 MW
10 MW

What if there was no gas/petrol?

Post by Sunder » Apr 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Read this article last night:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Syria.html

TL:DR unlike most countries, Australia doesn't keep a strategic petrol reserve. It said within 2-3 weeks Australia would be out of petrol...

But I fill up around once per quarter in my car and never in my electric motorcycle, so it'd barely affect me.

However, once petrol runs out, we're talking end of civilisation type scenarios. Not just no driving, but no food to supermarkets, no police on the roads, and nobody driving to work, probably even not by public transport, as its unlikely to run with most public transport staff unable to get to work.

In such a situation, I feel driving an electric car would be suicide, as someone would just carjack you.

What are your thoughts on such a scenario? What would you do? I'd get out of town to our rural holiday home early - just when riots were starting, and try to ride it out.
eBike: Q100H on 16S with Phaserunner FOC Controller
eMotorscooter: Vectrix VX-1 on 36S
eCar: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV... Waiting for warranty to expire
eHouse: Still on grid, but with LTO batteries and 3kw LF inverter...

After 5 builds, the best advice I can give, is start with high quality products. I prefer http://www.ebikes.ca

Raisedeyebrows
1 kW
1 kW

Re: What if there was no gas/petrol?

Post by Raisedeyebrows » Apr 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Friend of mine wrote a Novel "The Whispering Whale", a post apocalyptic tale that explored how quickly humans turn into barbarians after environmental/societal collapse, Mad Max type bandits riding around hijacking anyone with any resources whatsoever. I had a hard time putting the book down once I started in, the tale told seemed pretty accurate as far as what would happen.
Yuba Mundo w/BBSHD
Specialized Hard Rock w/9c clone, statoraid, hubsink
Trek Fuel 90 w/BBSHD
Above all run on 14s4p 52v li-ion
Ecobike folder 36v
Currie Flyer scooter 24v on 24ah of SLA