BBSHD and Sturmey Archer S2K 2 Speed Kick Shift Disc Brake Rear Hub

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Bullfrog   10 W

10 W

BBSHD and Sturmey Archer S2K 2 Speed Kick Shift Disc Brake Rear Hub

Post by Bullfrog » Apr 15 2018 11:07am

Does anybody have experience with the Sturmey Archer S2K 2 Speed Kick Shift Disc Brake Rear Hub?

Or more precisely, has anybody tried it with a BBSHD?

Any words of wisdom, advice, experiences, etc....would be greatly appreciated. I am considering doing a build with a BBSHD, a Bikes Direct bike with horizontal rear dropouts, and the SA 2 speed kick shift rear hub and a 1/8" single speed chain. About as clean as a bike can get because it won't have any shifter cables, a derailleur, or a chain tensioner.

Thanks for any info...positive and/or negative comments and advice are appreciated.

gogo   10 MW

10 MW

Re: BBSHD and Sturmey Archer S2K 2 Speed Kick Shift Disc Brake Rear Hub

Post by gogo » Apr 15 2018 2:30pm

Can the BBSHD freewheel to allow backwards chain travel for shifting? Do you have a plan for how you would make the chain 'kick' backwards to actuate the shift(s)?
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking." -Steven Wright

Bullfrog   10 W

10 W

Post by Bullfrog » Apr 15 2018 2:37pm

gogo...THANK YOU.

There is no easy way I can think of to move the chain backwards to activate the kick shift.

Just when I thought I had a good idea....oh well.

At least I have a back up plan...go with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub, the one that accepts a disc brake and has a 9 spline driver so I can use cassette gears. Plan is to use one cassette gear and use the internal gears for the shifting. Probably actually only use two of them....second gear 95% of the time since it is straight thru and third gear when I need to get from A to B.

Thanks again for catching my absent mindedness :D .

If anybody is interested, the Sturmey Archer hub I am talking about is a CS-RK3 found here:
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/produc ... rk3-silver

SRAM recently decided to quit making internally geared hubs so they aren't an option IMO...Luna currently offers a SRAM hub if you would like to try it.

Shimano offers the Nexus 3 but it only has a three spline driver option and the only disc option is a center lock.

Sturmey has the 170 OLD 3 speed hub that accepts a disc but it is a three spline.

So the only current production, three speed internal hub, that accepts a disc, and uses a 9 spline driver is the Sturmey Archer CS-RK3 and the widest version is 135mm OLD.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Apr 15 2018 3:18pm

Consider the SRAM Automatix centrifugal shifting two speed hub. I like mine very much.

I would not use a BBSHD with an internal gear hub if I could use a BBS02 or TSDZ2 instead. It's all good fun until you break something expensive at an inconvenient time.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Bullfrog   10 W

10 W

Post by Bullfrog » Apr 15 2018 4:54pm

Chalo...tell me a little about the TSDZ2, please. Is it about the same power level as the BBS02? I am going to consult Mr. Google as well.

EDIT...found this on the TSDZ2: https://www.biktrix.com/products/tongsh ... -mid-motor
Says that it is a pure pedal assist, no throttle. That would make it a real good match with the SRAM two speed IMO.

I considered the SRAM auto but I don't want it to shift except on rare occasions. I plan to run the 3 speed in 2nd/straight thru 95% of the time and only go to 3rd gear when I am on the road and under relatively light load without impacts. But I sure do appreciate the info and thoughts.

More Edit...considered the SRAM DD3 especially since Luna has a good price on them but the durability of the click box has me worried. I run into trees and hurt myself all the time, the click box probably wouldn't stand up to the tree impacts as good as I do :D .

Thank You