Justin's Multimedia Presentation Trip - Pacific to Atlantic

knightmb

100 kW
A big thanks to retread for uploading the video segments. It was too long for youtube, so instead of having 20 segments, I combined it into the full length and uploaded it to google video since they don't have a length limitation.

For those on dial-up, I'm making some smaller modem friendly versions of this movie. It's mainly talk and presentation, so even at a reduced quality, it should still be very interesting to watch. I'll attach it to this forum when the encoding is complete. I'll be making a Windows Media and Quicktime version to make sure everyone has a way to watch it.

Enjoy!

Link to google video here (or click play below):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7678925878624577581
[googlevid]7678925878624577581[/googlevid]

Windows Media 48-Kbps Version Attached (should be able to play it streaming over a 56K connection, slower ones may need to pause it to let it buffer for a while or just direct download and finish it later offline)

Quicktime 48 Kbps version has been added to this post.

Someone has asked how to play it streaming directly from the forum, sorry I forgot to include those instructions.

Just open Windows Media Player or Quicktime. Copy the link for either the 48K Windows/Quicktime link. Use the programs and past that URL into the "Open URL" from the file menu, then you can watch them streaming instead of waiting for the files to download.

Attachments

• Justin - Ride Across Canada - Dial-Up.wmv
    45.2 MB · Views: 65
  • Justin - Ride Across Canada.mov
    37.9 MB
Another 5 star rating for Justin. Only halfway through it, but I had to stop and say YAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Of course, it will go to the epic threads section later.

Thank you, retread and Subcomanadante Tomato for pulling this all together for the rest of the community.
Even though I witnessed Justin's live presentation I'm going to go visit a friend with bandwidth and bring it home on a thumb drive.

I've added the quicktime version for dial-up users to the second post above (with the windows media version). So hopefully all of our dial-up friends will have a way to watch the video as well. Sorry it took so long to get the quicktime version, it seems to take quicktime a lot longer to encode the movies, but the quality does come out better though. :D

Someone has asked how to play it streaming directly from the forum, sorry I forgot to include those instructions.

Just open Windows Media Player or Quicktime. Copy the link above for either the 48K Windows/Quicktime link. Use the programs and past that URL into the "Open URL" instead of file, then you can watch them streaming instead of waiting for the files to download.

I got so stoked by the presentation, I decided to try someting similar but more my size. I'll try to ride across my state. At least 370 miles north to south, but mileage will surely be longer If I take the scenic routes. The goal is not to do it with no help, or even to do it in one go. Just connect enough one or two day rides to ride every inch of a route from the southern border at El Paso, to the northern border near Taos. Some may be rode north to south, and some south to north. So each time I travel north for whatever reason, I can get dropped off somewhere to ride another section. Most months I ride that far commuting anyway, so I shouldn't be so big of a gulp. With a second battery arriving soon for my wifes bike, I'll have 1 36v 20 ah ping and two 24v 8 ah nicads giving me close to 50 miles range per charge.

I just got back from 40 miles on the ping and one nicad pack, and it may be close to my one day limit, so the battery and the body are both up to it. I never have the patience to hypermile on my commute home, so I was amazind at the increase I got in range by slowing down to about 15-17 mph. The ping went 28 miles into 5 mph wind, gaining about 1200 feet of altitude. So it looks like even on the hilly areas, 40 miles of range can be done if I need to, and 35 miles full speed may be possible, though it might toast the motor to go that far that fast.

ACK!

I haven't even started to view the presentation yet, but was bowled over by the 'snapshot' in the opening video link above...

*gulp*

Now I'm a'skeered. :shock:

philf said:
ACK!

I haven't even started to view the presentation yet, but was bowled over by the 'snapshot' in the opening video link above...

*gulp*

Now I'm a'skeered. :shock:

Those video snapshots are the type of image that my User Control Panel settings permit to load.
I immediately recalled the segement.
As you've probably already seen, you're portrayed in the presentation as the brilliant prince that we already know you are.
707 (stand on your head)

Zoot Katz said:
As you've probably already seen, you're portrayed in the presentation as the brilliant prince that we already know you are.
707 (stand on your head)

The tinker Prince of "Burlingham", apparently . Got a good chuckle out of that... Oakville is right next door to us, too, and we have a lot of "Burloak" stuff around the boundary. Why NOT Burlingham when you go the opposite direction to Hamilton?. In seriousness, I can't imagine it would be possible to remember a fraction of names of towns he must have passed through. Of course, Milton is north of here... Miltonburl would be fun...

I liked the disparaging remarks about Canadian Tire he threw in while talking over the picture of wasp holding his pedal.

Thanks!

I am glad to have a chance to see this!

-JD

Yes, the final disposition of the expensive wheel and the deep dark secret about eleven dollars and change owing to the chargers inefficiency were revealed at the end.
The Taber and hurricane segments are my favourites for now.

I was thinking what the heck? Are canadian electric rates that low? We have some high rates here in southern New Mexico thanks to "cheap" nucear power. After the last rate hike, we are at about 12 cents per kwh. So my 20 ah 36v pack takes about 9 cents to charge according to my killawatt. The 2700 miles I rode on the pingbattery so far cost $12.15 in fuel cost. Still pretty cheap! I calculate the cost of a 30 mile round trip to work at $3.00 including everything. So riding 2700 miles cost $270. Just try and get out of an auto repair shop that cheap!

I ended up watching the whole thing and when I went to sleep I had some weird dreams, guess all the fast forwarding did it to me. But if Justin is around I'd like to ask him if any teens or redneck types messed with him on the long trip like yelling or throwing things at him, which would be typical in the US unfortunately. Upon reflection maybe the nightmares were caused by the guy in Toronto you stopped to meet, you know white beard, hair and wild eyes, initials jg or something.

Back