Hardware triggers

I've been studying hardware and shall use this thread to hash out some ideas. I would appreciate any guidance on a concept circuit that generates a clock signal from two inputs. This would be nice and easy to do in software, which is why it is bugging me that I can't conceptualize the hardware equivalent :lol:

Two inputs will be used, a clock signal and a comparator out. When both clock and comparator are high, the output signal will be high. Once high, it will latch until the comparator signal goes low. AND condition to latch high, single input falling edge triggers reset to low.

Today's thoughts- may be accomplished with a master-slave D Flip Flop... inputs driving an AND driving the data input and the comparator driving the clock. Time to simulate! Wait, nope, don't think this will output the clock correctly...

I think I understand what you want it to do; may I ask what its for? (in case there is a simpler way to accomplish what youre after as an end goal).

If I understand correctly, and if my brain is working right (its been a long day), it seems from the description as if you could just use an inverted-input NAND gate (if you cant get one just put an inverter on each input), assuming the clock rate output would be the same as the input (except when disabled (latched high) by the comparator going high).

So as long as the comparator is low, then every low pulse of the clock input would create an equivalent low pulse on the NAND output.

If the output clock has to be a different frequency or pulse width than the input clock, then you can use a 555 timer circuit (or set of them) to modify the output.

It’s just a conceptual circuit, but the idea is a closed loop voltage “regulator”. Instead of using a clock to control duty, the clock input is used only for frequency and the comparator for pulse width. End goal, trigger at a given voltage threshold once every clock cycle.

Once I hammer out the circuit, I’ll try building a basic voltage regulator. I’m sure there are plenty of off the shelf chips that would drive Nfets for me, but that’s skipping the learning I want to do.

Back