Dr. Greger explains the cause of insulin resistance, p 17 and explains how to reverse heart failure pg 17

Oct 2019- skip to last page if you are new to this topic. :bigthumb:

May 2019 update:
Here is a great summary of what is bad about the ketogenic diet, by Dr Lim with his brother who was on it.
Skip to 30:00 and get the facts that can prevent your early death. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8I4AkdN7Rs
September UPDATE:
Warning! I was duped into the WRONG food plan, and at first i got the placebo effect, thinking it worked, but graves came back 2 weeks later. By July I switched, so if you want to save time, skip the 1st page, go to page 2 july 25th post. But if you want to read about my mistakes, read this page :lol:
'
Last Dec., i got graves disease, hyperthyroidism where my heart was zooming 113 pulse at rest. Went to ER, they wanted to radiate my thyroid and kill it :roll: But did try Methimozole which worked decent for 4 months and STOPS thyroid hormone. Saw info that said it might go away in 18-24 months. Or might not ever go away. Not wanting to take a liver killing drug for 2+ years, i kept looking, and stumbled upon a Dr. that claimed that 6 eggs a day would stop tremors in MS patients. Well, i don't have ms, but i looked at the nutrition in egg yolks, and was impressed. Since my Dad lived to 96 eating 2 eggs a day, and never got heart disease, going from 3 or 4 eggs a week, to 28 eggs a week was a no brainer. After a week on my new diet, including beef liver and magnesium and more iodine free salt, my graves is gone! So gone that my pulse dipped to 61 and i had to go back to salt with iodine to BOOST thyroid hormone. and eat fish which naturally contains iodine.
Just wanted to share my story. Thanks for reading; post any Q's you might have.

Interesting what different diets can do. The paleo approach saved my life when I was suffering fermenting gut.

4 eggs a day is a lot, but no problem to eat that much fat if you cut the same amount of carbs out of your diet. I firmly believe that fat like eggs is not the real culprit, but eating that fat along with too much carbs is. So a pound of potato with those eggs is the no no, unless you work that physically.

Starve your liver for carbs a little, and it will not pump that fat back into your blood. It will be forced to make sugar out of that fat.

Like all life, its a balance thing, and the typical diet once you can afford tastier food, is too much of both fat and carbs.

Very smart Dan! As a matter of fact i cut out potatoes, and eat half as much home made bread. After i use up the 6 bags of flour i have, i may cut out bread too! Not sure about oatmeal. have two 42oz, no longer add sugar, but add salt and butter.

I'm recently feeling better. A couple years ago, my wife was diagnosed as "pre-diabetic", and the thought of eventually needing insulin and all of the "downward spiral" afflictions that seem to come along with it, really scared her, so...she became very diligent in changing her diet and exercise regimen. She still wants to cook most of the meals, so I end up eating what she cooks for her health, which means...I am now forced to eat healthy food.

Cut back on sugar and carbs. Your body converts carbs to sugar, in order to use the sugar for energy. Any sugar that is not burned-off is stored as fat, which your body thinks is a good thing so you can survive through the winter. She lost a significant amount of weight, and it seemed to be very easy, rather than a lot of effort. All diabetic symptoms disappeared, also...several auto-immune symptoms are in recession. Recently found this short video I found to be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHpfRFnvuf4

spin
my glucose was 115, so that spooked me too. i figure it was caused by my "healthy eating" :(
I'd have several "healthy" snacks between meals. (mango, pineapple, banana, ice cream).
They all had lots of sugar and caused my glucose to spike, and insulin would spike, and i was developing insulin resistance. :eek:
So now i still snack, but on foods that don't have sugar: peanuts, cashews, cheese, sour cream, even cream cheese. I am very happy with these snacks, i just did not have a clue before. :roll:
:mrgreen:

Dauntless said:
https://ketodash.com/keto-diet

Haven't tried it myself but people I know have been and they're all swearing by it.
I'm close to the Keto diet, but still eat some bread. Not trying to lose weight, too skinny already.

For a few years now, I was back on a "normal" ( will kill you) diet. It took two years of extreme low carb diet to lick the fermenting gut, and after that, it was a huge relief to eat what I wanted again. I would not wish that diet on anybody not dying, trying to cut carbs to 10 grams or less a day to starve the bad yeast out of my body was very harsh. Normal RDA for carbs is 250 g.

I've been prediabetic since about 35 btw, but never quite crossed the line. Now I'm old and prediabetic, and still have the chronic fatigue syndrome from the west nile. Inability to work off the pizza and enchiladas jacked up my lipids enough to even scare me.

So here I go again with the diet starting about two weeks ago, knew it was coming. What I'm trying to do now is just keep the carbs way below the 250 gram RDA. I'm just trying to eat carb free most of the day, then when I can't stand it later in the afternoon, I let myself finally have some carbs. That way the dinner menu is not so restricted. This tricks my liver into releasing some of its hoarded sugar every day, and even change some liver fat into sugar to be burned. Then at night, instead of pumping out fat into my blood, it will store it in my liver. The first weeks suck, your liver says f u, and you low sugar bonk. The liver is stubborn, and has to get trained you are serious. At first its sure you will break down and have that donut. But once it gets trained, the liver will give. Then you stop bonking every morning.

I'm aiming for about 50g a day for long enough to shed at least 5 pounds, then try to stabilize at somewhere around 100 average. So like 50 a day most days, then pizza night I have a few hundred grams of carb credit. Its hard. :| But doable compared to the 10 grams of carbs a day I was on for years. FWIW, I'm not counting complex carbs into that 50, like the cottage cheese, the nuts, the carbs in a carrot, etc. I'm just counting the high glycemic stuff. The slices of bread, the tortilla, potato chips or fries, stuff like that. One sandwich, including the miracle whip on it, 30 grams. After that, any chocolate, or dollop of ice cream, I'm at 60 grams. So I will have to skip the sandwich a day or two to have a Mexican plate with enchiladas, beans and rice. My staple meal is veggie hash. Some kind of meat and mixed vegetables, fried in olive oil. Tasty, but it does need potatoes to taste better. :roll: Breakfast I skip, but alternative to hash is omlette, which is 90% same as a stir fry, but with and egg instead of the rice. I like tons of spinach in those omlettes.

With any luck, and some statins, I can get my lipid numbers down to where I can eat a normal but healthier diet. I'm guessing this would be more like 150 grams a day average, allowing a lot less budgeting to eat some carbs every day. But still crossing potatoes in any form off the list for the most part. Rice instead is the idea. Bear in mind, without the CFS, I would be able to just go pedal off a bag of potato chips, like I did for 50 years. I have to diet better, since I cant do hard exercise without severe reactions to it.

Dan
i don't thinks carbs are as bad as you say.
I've got a Holley carb on my vette, and it works great :)

Got a lot of ideas from this Dr. Wrote a whole book with thank you letters from healed patients 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHsog5lKg6Y&t=52s

Interesting. Eating potatoes and a starch diet devoid of meat, dairy, and NO added fat or processed sugars, turned my health and weight around. Forks Over Knives and the McDougall Diet.

Back on methimizole :oops: Cutting way back on eggs, as they did not do the trick, after all. This is about a dozen natural things that i have tried, that did not work.
I'm not having any side effects from the pills, so that is good. My dose is very low 8 mg, most are in the 10-60 range.
The only OTC cure that ever worked for me was taking 1 tablespoon of alcohol/day. This cured my chronic pain, has been 3+ years, that saved my life. So while this thyroid is annoying, nothing beats eliminating pain. :p

Everyone has an opinion, just like @$$holes, and...they all stink.

If you have any health issues, definitely do some research, and don't trust any anonymous poster on the internet. If something looks like it might be relevant...try it out and judge for yourself. There is no single program that is perfect for everyone.

Our carb-based diet in the modern western civilization is based on the fact that...Wheat/barley are easy and cheap to grow, and they can be stored in clay jars away from mice, so...we can have bread to eat in the winter. Humans are omnivores, and we have clawed our way to the top of the food chain because...if we finally achieve adult status, we can survive and reproduce by living off of just about any food that we can find [adult humans have the luxury of surviving as a vegan if they choose, human children will be severely disabled if they are raised on a vegan diet].

That being said, between 16 and 46, we can eat just about anything that we can survive off of, but...what diet will provide the BEST performance? My opinion is just as worthless as the next anonymous poster. That being said...I read a lot, and my age is near 60. The more I read, the more I cut back on sugar and carbs...

spinningmagnets said:
Everyone has an opinion.... The more I read, the more I cut back on sugar and carbs...

Complex sugars and carbs stripped of nutrition suck, but Esselstien, MacDougall, and Ornish have shown there are healthy carbs. Until my kidneys failed, eating a high starch diet reversed several health problems. But never highly processed nutritional stripped carbs.

good carb: fresh strawberries
bad carb: strawberry preserves
right tom? is this what you mean?

So I got a dozen eggs and two dozen sausage to try it for 6 days. Two a day wasn't so rough but my intestines felt it. Ketogenic says no fruit, that would take some getting used to. Some full diet sounds like a challenge.

I remember the college biology teacher talking about the successful diet is enough of a change to "Switch into a different mode." A little more this a little less of that wasn't important to him. Eating 100% different was what mattered. Yikes.

I eat lots of cheese and drink lots of 1% milk.
But I do try to drink club soda with lemon.
At night I like to toast bread and slather on peanut butter.
I am starting to eat eggs at night, and try to lay off the breads.

Matt Gruber said:
Got a lot of ideas from this Dr. Wrote a whole book with thank you letters from healed patients 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHsog5lKg6Y&t=52s
Ive been playing with the keto diet [ im not overweight at all ] But after seeing that utube seminar im convinced to give it a more serious go.
Ive had a shoulder injury that is taking its time to heal and i bet its my low saturated fat/ cholesterol diet thats the culprit .

Looking forward to buying some juicy steaks / chops :)

Just started a new plan :D
Based on lots of clinical research. Here is an example of Lunch:
3-4 oz of beef, chicken or pork.
6-7 oz fresh broccoli, spinach, or brussles sprouts, even zucchini. w/salt and a little cheese.
Old lunch was
meat on a roll, and 6 oz potato.
Dinner has no meat! anyone want details?
New plan has lots of fiber, more plant food. Studies show long term health benefits.
Dr Natasha plan does not seem to have long term benefits, but only short term improvements.

I always felt that to heal muscles and tendons, eat them. Better tasting that glucosamine pills.

Lunch sounds a lot like the way I'm eating again now. nothing complicated, just cut my carbs to less than the 250 grams a day rda. So its just pretty much as simple as not eating breads or potatoes, rice, etc at all one meal a day. Typical American diet, more or less 100-150 grams of carbs each meal. Then 100 grams snacks, like twice a day. So there you are at 600-700 grams by bedtime. That will do the trick to kill you once you reach 60. In my youth though, hard work had me so revved up I used to joke I could burn 1000 calories a day watching tv on the weekend. now, I just blimp up getting the rest I need.

4 weeks ago 200 pounds and could feel it that my liver had gotten huge. Today I hit the lost 10 pounds mark, and feel like my guts have room to function again. Goal is to be 185 again, but good luck with that. That was my pre sick weight. I just can't do that much exercise now, and boredom leads to snacks as I rest all afternoon.

Not too much suffering to do this, just eating less carbs. Pretty much eliminated potatoes, keeping breads down to one meal a day. Did not quit ice cream or chocolate, but did cut way back on them. One binge day a week I eat all I want. This means a meal of Mexican food, pizza, pasta, whatever I am craving.

Low fat diets do work, you can live on them, but they taste like dung. I'd just prefer to deny myself some of the bread, than the fatty flavor in meats and oils. Favorite low carb meal I call paleo hash. Mixed veggies and whatever leftover meat is around from dinner. Fry in olive oil. Very tasty, even without the potato that usually is in hash. Does have some carbs in it, since there is corn in the mixed veggies.

Hi Dan!
Yes, very much alike!
Have you ever tried canned black olives as a snack? I eat 10 small olives and they kill any hunger. 10 = 50 calories. 50 in a can on sale for $1. only 20 cents for a snack from Spain.
i avoid the oils, eat the real food. :D

Never dieted in my life, but I try to cut fast food out if I can and limit soda consumption. Drink beer on hot days and wine with meals that contain some fresh vegetables if possible. I have tried cutting back on carbs at times and noticed some changes. My parents eat very little processed foods they like nuts, vegetables grilled meats and canned foods from home grown fruits and veggies. They are pretty healthy for their age.

Once again, i had it all wrong! :oops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZduVxlP_U
the (saturated) fat in the blood, if too high, it causes insulin resistance. i believe the olives are ok, i hope. :D

Hey Matt, I see your on the ES since 2007.

Are you the one who came up with the Grubber Assist/Vivax system ?

Just got back from Aldi
got 8 ears of corn .25/each
blueberries pint 1,89
almond butter 4.89 12oz
peanut b 3.19 40oz
zucchini 2lb 1.69
broc crowns 1.49/lb
42oz quick oats 2.39
5 mangoes .59
white beans 2lb 2.09
I guess this is the real food, high fiber diet
i don't count carbs, just saturated fat as it is the evil monster to watch for.
avoid processed food. and no more eggs. very little cheese. this is my new plan to eat healthy, not to lose weight (only weigh 122) - any comments?
Matador- No, I'm just the uber mini-central AC guy. :D
so i could not wait and had an early 11:15 lunch. 1 ear of corn, broccoli and 2oz chicken. was delicious. figure i'll be hungry soon, - mango and blueberries/w 1oz ice cream later.

Back