Daniels Crimping Tools for JST-SM?

RschDev

1 mW
Howdy - I'm Davie, and new to the electric vehicle world. I recently acquired an EZee i-Omega cargo bike and am getting ready to replace the LED control with a Cycle Analyst. I'm reading blogs, watching YouTubes and collecting my tools and supplies. I was about to pop for some new crimpers for JST terminals when I remembered a couple of cool crimpers I purchased a few years ago from a surplus sale.

One of them, a Daniels M22520/1-02, seems like it might work for the JST SM connectors that Grin uses? This is a pricy tool used in aircraft wiring. Does anyone know this tool, and whether or not it will work for the JST-SM connectors?

I also have a Daniels HX4 crimper with a 12-10 and 26-14 head on it. I'm assuming that this is for powerpole connectors?

Thanks for any insight and wisdom.

Davie

You could check with the crimper manufacturer and see what those specific models and heads are designed for.

Otherwise, testing them on the contacts you want to use, with the wire gauge you will use, then cutting thru the crimp and examining it under magnification to see how well it did the job, is the only good way I know of to find out using just typical home tools.

Theres a number of different contacts Ive seen used in aircraft stuff, but none of htem are by Anderson or JST, so if those specific models and heads were for aircraft contacts, they probably arent designed for what you want to use them for. It doesnt mean they wont work, if the contacts they *were* designed for are similar or identical in the crimp area to the ones you want to use them for.

I use some ancient Molex and no-name crimpers for JST and Anderson contacts, because they happen to work well enough for my purposes, but neither was designed for them. One was designed for a totally different type of contact by Molex, and the other appears to have been designed for some type of automotive contacts, IIRC, but they work ok. Not perfectly, but ok. If I could afford a ratcheting w/leverage or hydraulic crimper with heads specifically for the various contacts I use, Id get one. :)

As a side note, I generally end up using connectors only to work out a system for a particular build, then when its all setup and working, I remove the connectors and directly solder or crimp the connections, as Ive had too many intermittent / odd problems with corroded or oxidized (or loose) connector contacts/etc, and that generally doesnt happen with the direct connections. ;)

Back