What Do We Call Them???

Mithion

10 W
So we have bicycle based electric bikes and motorcycle based electric bikes.

If a bicycle based electric bike has no pedals, i.e. something like the Sur-Ron MX or the Stealth Hurricane and the many other similar bikes, do we call it an electric motorcycle, an electric moped, something else?

I don’t like calling it a motorcycle because it is based on bicycle components etc.

Just a random thought....

So many arguments on that don't mean anything. A bike without pedals is a push bike, a moped without pedals is a scooter. So what? Nothing to worry about. Recent California laws on this describe, no definitions necessary.

In legal terms or moral terms or personal terms or Chalo terms.

And you should term a bicycle a bicycle not a bike, a motorcycle a motorcycle not a bike.

Here is what you wrote
- bicycle based electric [strike]bikes[/strike] BICYCLE and motorcycle based electric [strike]bikes[/strike] MOTORCYCLE
- bicycle based electric [strike]bike[/strike] BICYCLE has no pedals....do we call it an electric motorcycle, an electric moped, something else?

Wikipedia
A moped (/ˈmoʊpɛd/ MOH-ped) is a small motorcycle, generally having a less stringent licensing requirement than motorcycles or automobiles because mopeds typically travel about the same speed as bicycles on public roads. Mopeds by definition are driven by both an engine and bicycle pedals; the term is unequivocally not appropriate for the very specific design classic known as the scooter. Scooters are regulated similarly and travel at about the same speed as motorcycles[1].

I purposely wrote “bike” with the intent of keeping with the spirit of my what do we call them question...

I do however agree with you 😁

Bike means anything with two wheels to me. But it is very vaugh terminology

Since i got into this hobby 10 years ago and bought my first 48v ebay golden motor hub kit and put in on my GT mountain bike, ive called my projects E-bikes

Obviously E meaning electric and bike meaning bicycle

Now i also have Voloci electric scooters that i call a “bike” because it has two wheels and resembles a bike to me. And i dont like to word scooter :)

But to get technical in my state MA my Voloci electric scooter (which has no pedals) is registered with a 2 year sticker that says “moped” right on the sticker.

No one will ever know!

Back