Trouble With the Car You're Still driving?

Dauntless

100 TW
So reading Marty talking about still driving his Isuzu on the verge of disaster really brings back memories of cars I kept hanging on by finger nails because I had no choice. Or even when they're not bad, but not good either. As with everything I own at the moment.

So this morning I try to head out in the car I've been having all this trouble starting lately and I have to roll it down the driveway to bump start it. It was becoming less and less likely to crank but when it did it was fine. I've tried to see if there was a bad neutral switch, I have to hold the clutch in to start it and there's a relay there that allows it to crank. But dang it, I couldn't even FIND that neutral switch, even by going online I found every Mustang BUT mine. And this morning, with a new starter I ordered coming at 6pm, it started when I rolled it down the driveway but stalled as I tried to back up and out. Stuck.

I haven't been driving the truck, it throws the P0380 Heater Circuit A check engine light and there's this long list of things I have to try in tracking it down. Haven't found it yet, the car has been keeping me busy. So I can't get it through smog and the tags aren't current, but what else would I drive? Well, maybe if hadn't waited 7 weeks to start it again, but the batteries were dead and it's too big for my Mustang battery.

And my lone remaining gas moped after the theft of the other recently had its' revenge for my ignoring it the last two years by refusing to start. I guess I've got to clean the carburetor and. . . who knows what else. I thought cleaning the carburetor would get that Pagsta to start, but no luck. I think my YG5 would be even worse, what with being a 2 stroke that's sat as long as the moped.

Okay, you want to know about the electrics Well, between the wave of thefts the last few years, some seriously broken stuff, then just the age of the batteries, that too was a nonstarter. I wound up riding my first building project with the cheap Chinese parts from over 10 years ago that doesn't actually work anymore, I was just pedaling. Damn thing is too small for me. I need a new just plain bicycle after the theft of the one I'd been riding recently. I need a real lock, too. Dang, how many things do you have to keep around just to know you'll have transportation?

But my starter came, I just didn't get it home before dark so I'll wait until morning with it. I've heard that if the neutral switch is out you don't get your backup lights, but the only time I've had a neutral switch out it was on this truck and I had the backup lights while it was in reverse. Maybe they mean they come on when starting the car, I don't know. But I have backup lights now, so at least if I have to take it to the shop they can't try to gouge me for a new starter, eh?

So what do YOU have hanging on by its' fingernails?

Old Volvo. No start. Bought a new starter and put it on a table next to the car. New starter must have scared the old car because it started. Problem was neutral safety switch. Yea no reverse lights.

Test don't guess.

marty said:
Test don't guess.

Well, having no luck testing anything. Can't get to it or even find it. And literally, found plenty on the neutral switch for other Mustangs, nothing for mine. Oh for the old days when they knew how to assemble the parts together so you could reach things. I've been at it for over an hour, can't get the starter loose and my neck is killing me. Just reading here some guy said he took the catalytic converter off to change the starter. I think I'll ignore him.

Ah, but another guy says he could get through the wheel well. Might be easier than this crawling underneath. But he's talking about taking a bracket off; that's all I need, more tight space part removal.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
a president.

This from a snowflake who was chanting he didn't have one some 20 months ago. Awww, has the mystique been too hard to look away from?

maybe you'll have to find a quote cause i dont think you'll find me saying ...whatever it is youre saying I said. I guess you moved on from your thread. too many snow flakes for you over there i guess. be strong

Well, that didn't work. At this point I am suspicious of the keyswitch, as the chime doesn't ring when the door is opened with the key in, etc. And if it has to go to the shop, at least I save maybe $200 from then not getting to insist on replacing the starter.

If that truck will just charge I'll be able to pull the car to the top of the driveway and bump start it, there's $100 I'm spared for a tow truck.

. . . .I dont think you'll find me saying ...whatever it is youre saying I said.

If you don't know what I'm saying you're saying, why do you think I'm saying ANYTHING? Are you denying you posted in this thread? Wouldn't be the first time, eh?

Yeah, the goofballs were downright boring. I told them in so many words they had to improve the quality of their work or I'd be done with them. And they let me down. To be expected, of course.

Damg. what a kewl truck concept. Of course GM never actually built them. But I still want one.

1964_GM_Bison_01.jpg

1964_GM_Bison_Concept_Turbine_Truck_01.jpg

Q:
So what do YOU have hanging on by its' fingernails?
A:
a president

:lol:

I gave away my last gas-powered carriage ("car") to some poor bugger... One local ebike store owner discovered too... it just too much money to waste on. :mrgreen:

master of confusion lets see if we can figure you out

"This from a snowflake who was chanting he didn't have one some 20 months ago..."

Youre saying i didnt have a president "some 20 months ago" i guess. no i didnt say that but find me a quote you big game hunter.

" Are you denying you posted in this thread? Wouldn't be the first time, eh?"

denying i posted in your thread? no im not denying im posting in your thread. how would i argue that while posting? with allusion of another thread i supposedly have denied posting in too i guess.

part of me wants to know what your point is but part of me remembers there will be no point and you will go in circles and then come back and say "see I told you".
but no stop...think...check yourself...go back to talking about your car and that will be easier for all of us

I wouldn't say you're the master of confusion, more that it's mastered YOU.

But sorry, meant to write 'Denying WHAT you posted in the thread. . . .' Even after I linked it, etc.

But yeah, the damn cars. So the truck is finally charged and starting, but the almost new clutch isn't working. I pump it and pump it, dang, could I be closing in on 1,000 times? Not much better than when it first started. It was fine last time I drove it. . . .

I figured it out! Dauntless is Swbluto! How do I come to this conclusion? They both have gasoline powered motor vehicles that are broke. They both watch YouTube instead of buying a service manual. They both are filling the internet with endless text.
Dauntless said:
I've been at it for over an hour, can't get the starter loose and my neck is killing me.
Are you working outside in the hot sun? Suffering from heat stroke? Drink more water. Ya know a service manual would tell you exactly how to diagnose and repair a car that don't start. Tells ya step by step how to remove the starter. Test it first. Service manual will show you where every wire goes and where the connectors are.

Can ya spell ebay? Get over to eBay and search 1999 Ford Mustang Service Manual. Pay the 29.99 or so and you will have a CD or paper book. Might also find a torrent if ya look around?

Yes it was a hot day. But since I was underneath the car I wasn't in the Sun. Were YOU? Think I'm Bluto? By that same logic you must be Hummina Shadeeba. So confused.

marty said:
Can ya spell ebay? Get over to eBay and search 1999 Ford Mustang Service Manual. Pay the 29.99 or so and you will have a CD or paper book. Might also find a torrent if ya look around?

e-b-a-y. Spelling bee?

I've noticed there's not much similarity between the 1999 and the 2012. Such as I know where the neutral switch is on the 1999, ain't there on mine. The issue is not how to remove the starter, the issue is getting to it. A wrench right to the damn bolt on top. Not until I find the right angle to reach from, which didn't really exist but I got it. I remember when a new starter was a simple job. Going through the wheel well didn't work, went back underneath but discovered a whole new position to move from and it worked great. Damn, the thought of needing a service manual to swap out a starter. Do you use one for oil changes, too?

Too bad having a new starter didn't. I'm thinking maybe there's a bad keyswitch. It doesn't chime when the door opens with the key in it, things like that. Just a suspicion. But manuals the public wind up with don't tell enough. I had a real live Chilton manual for my truck but it was stolen, there's what I'd get for the car except Haynes bought them, I wonder if Chilton is as bad as Haynes now.

So assuming my truck developed some air in the lines issue from sitting a few months, is there some way to get it self bleeding quickly?

Hummina Shadeeba or Marty or whomever said:
please tell me what im denying even after you post it! sounds exciting. hope its not a letdown.

Plain English is always a letdown to you. One man's talking in circles is another man's trying to keep YOUR story straight, but the effort of remembering what you said seems to make you dizzy. Hey, you're doing ES a favor here, letting me set the example of what if someone really DID just get off topic and all crazy, what to do? So if someone else encountered it for real, they should know what to do after watching me.

So you're trying to say you ARE denying that you've denied posting things you've posted even after I've linked to where you posted it. If you're so excited about this then you have quite an adventure rereading your posts and finding it for yourself. You can even find where Chalo first called you 'Head Cheese.' Oh the good times that await you.

[youtube]DzX_K9pX3X0[/youtube]

Ah well, I sure could use that Silverado service manual back right now. I can only guess I need to adjust the clutch pedal to fully disengage the clutch. Dang, started off thinking that on the Mustang. Once again so much popped up on the subject, but not my actual truck. I already know the concept, I just need to know exactly where everything is, especially since I won't be able to actually see it.

"I just need to know exactly where everything is"... Oh oh... Why I started using electric motors. :lol:

Yeah. My electrics are letting me down as well. Days topping 100 with50% humidity I don't want to ride the regular bike. Its just a bad time. So the dealer for my car is maybe a mile away, but if I can't get a push start it'll be a $100 tow. . . .

Hey, I need to pull maybe an 8kw motor on a cheap Chinese four wheeler to use as a tractor and I could tow cars out of the driveway that way.

You just need to hot wire it. (pretend you want to steal it.)
Good guess on the ignition switch. Again, remove the connector and steal the damn car!
Could also be a shot fusible link. bypass it.
Run wire from + battery to starter solenoid. will crank unless soienoid or starter or battery problem. bypasses entire harness. Just did this on my 61, ignition switch bad.

Hehe... SO much fun to see this thread... I used to own (gas-powered) automobiles... useful for getting to work to earn income to afford the car loan payments... (does that make sense?) Was pretty much a "work-aholic"... working 6-8 daze a week... probably cost me a marriage... :) Anyway. Gave up full-time employment and went "on vacation"... working just one-two days a week. So, technically "crazy" to own (afford paying for) any "automobile". So your choice: Own a car? Or go on vacations? :mrgreen:

I had that portable garage, it was stolen. It replaced a similar portable gazebo that the abrupt SoCal winds suddenly came up and destroyed, (Actually happened twice) people don't understand over the course of the year those winds will come up several times when you least expect them.

Matt Gruber said:
You just need to hot wire it. (pretend you want to steal it.)
Good guess on the ignition switch. Again, remove the connector and steal the damn car!
Could also be a shot fusible link. bypass it.
Run wire from + battery to starter solenoid. will crank unless soienoid or starter or battery problem. bypasses entire harness. Just did this on my 61, ignition switch bad.

I don't think it's a fuse, it was erratically cranking/not cranking/cranking, sometimes if I waited a bit it would work, etc. For all I know if I hold the key long enough right now it would crank, but you know how you get frustrated after :45 seconds and all.

I remember as a teenager testing starters/solenoids with a screwdriver, but danged if I remember exactly what I was jumping. Wouldn't want my arm in that tight spot on today's cars, I'm talking about the $300 halfway to the junkyard cars my friends would buy. Dang, while I was at the hardware store this morning I could have bought a heavy wire. I wonder which terminal is positive. If you're used to wide open cars from 1961 or even 20years after that, you're in for a treat trying to reach into today's cars. I didn't used to fear getting under the dash. Today. . . ?

Ah well, I assume if I have the keyswitch on I don't want the wire on the starter once it starts, right?

LockH said:
Hehe... SO much fun to see this thread...

I used to be a car guy. Would in fact like to be again, but working on cars today is thankless. Was going to do my own electric conversion, or maybe do some ground up build of old 'Popular Mechanix' plans as an electric (Remember "Crazy Jerry?" He's the guy from Watkins Glen being touted.) https://www.rqriley.com/cent.html but I haven't made the progress understanding the high power traction drive requirements, we don't want a thermal incident, do we?

If you REALLY want fun with this thread. . . .

So last night I had this big idea. If I could get a winch I could lash it to a tree by the street and pull the car to the top of the driveway. Meaning I can roll it down and bump start it. First thing in the morning I walked 2 miles to the hardware store. (Already quite hot.) No luck I re I remember the good not even old days when you could find things in stores, not wait 3-4 weeks for it to be ordered. That's just a few years ago.

If I could get one right away, would I feel more comfortable with the hand crank that I have some control over https://www.amazon.com/3200lbs-Winch-Crank-Manual-Trailer/dp/B07719BWQR/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_zg_dy_0_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07719BWQR&pd_rd_r=GFFR879AW2VQ4SW32892&pd_rd_w=PowtO&pd_rd_wg=KHbNK&pf_rd_i=desktop-rhf&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=6235990919194992776&pf_rd_r=GFFR879AW2VQ4SW32892&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhf&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=GFFR879AW2VQ4SW32892

Or maybe an easy electric with the risk of torquing and twisting with just cables and not being bolted down. https://express.google.com/u/0/product/10297199317727091720_14655962721666815784_118724597?mall=WashingtonDC&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx&utm_content=control_90_MAX

You know how a power drill will twist in your hand? Hmmm.

Ah well, I should look for some old electric cord I cut off some broken device, done that plenty but where do I put them? They never prove necessary until now.

If I'm still stuck in a bit maybe I'll tell the dilemma of finding help pushing it up the driveway.

sounds scary winching it up a hill solo as if something does go wrong and somehow something breaks maybe the car would go to town by itself with no one inside to put on the brakes.

you could call the store looking for a winch before walking the two miles. phones been round a while

Hehe... After 60+ years, have concluded the human animal body actually NEEDS exercise. Outta high school, pedaled an old Mercier ten-speed (poor mans Poirier bike) from Halifax NS to Kingston ON... and didn't roll into Kingston `til the morning of Day Seven. Was pedaling my butt off (figuratively and literally), eating four restaurant meals a day and STILL losing weight.
Actually DID own and operate some cars... none of which had pedals... other than the brake and gas pedals... So. Is "obesity" much of a problem for many these daze? Hehe... During recent adventures through the Ontario "Health Care System" - various hospitals - I saw patients staggering around the waiting rooms... and had to ask one doctor... if the patients hadn't caused their own visits to the "hospital system"... and he just rolled his eyes... :roll:

So. ANOTHER "Trouble With the Car You're Still driving" is, it's maybe hard to pedal. :mrgreen:

Will assume battery is good? Battery terminals are clean? Just for fun. Measure voltage at battery with car off. Measure again when car is running. Report back with those 2 numbers.

After ya sure that battery and charging system is good.
it was erratically cranking/not cranking/cranking,
I would look at the starter. When car won't start, try banging on the starter with a hammer or long heavy 2x4 or something. If that fixes it replace the starter. If the bang on starter test don't work. BUY A SERVICE MANUAL. Old 1994 Ford van. Won't start when hot. Hot as in after you drive to a bad neighborhood. Van thought it was funny for me to get a ride home and leave it in places where I would not want to sleep. Problem was the starter.

Same old 1994 Ford van. Or it might have been the Ford van before that one? Forget what the problem was? Remember using the service manual to follow the wire all the way from the battery to the starter. Manual shows a wire diagram and where every connector is.

Dauntless said:
portable gazebo that the abrupt SoCal winds suddenly came up and destroyed,
I happen to be a expert on that subject. Wind ha! Check out my web site. sukkahs.com Been selling Sukkahs since the begining of the internet. Temporary tents for Jewish people. Yea and what goes wrong is wind. Not a problem if you selling them :lol:

Tie it down with rope. Tie rope to 55 gallon drums filled with water or circus tent stakes.

working in the night with lights is nice. no one can steal that from you.

why does marty get only one D battery by his name and i have two and his seems to have gone into thermal runaway?

Back