VICMAX A8 8X CREE XM-L2 LED Max input voltage?

fabieville

100 W
I have a VICMAX A8 Led bike light. It comes with a 8.4V 1A Li-ion smart charger to charge the battery pack.

Here is a web link for the light:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VICMAX-A8-13000-lumen-8x-CREE-XM-L2-LED-Front-Head-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Lamp-light/32543657145.html

I abandon the battery pack and bought a dc-dc 24v-7.5v dc buck converter which I connect to my ebike 24v battery to power the Led light.

What I want to know is if its safe to power the light from 9V? as I was planning to buy a 24v-9v dc buck converter to use which would make the light much brighter.

Seeing that 9v is not far from the 8.4v output of the charger as when the battery pack is fully charge it reads 8.4v would the 9v cause any issues with the circuit or the led bulbs causing them to degrade faster or burn them out immediately or any other issues?

if not would it be safe to run it on the 9v constantly like with the 7.5v?

Sorry, not even I know LEDs well enough to answer that, though I don't suggest it. Maybe you could link a way to get one of those and I could destroy it for my own edification.

I work with light in Film/TV. I can tell you things like an incandescent will hold up pretty well on double voltage and doesn't have the scariest explosive potential, while quartz turns scary at less than double.

I think the LED probably melts without exploding, but I don't have the experience. I'll also wonder about the light itself coming from it. If you want an eerie haunted house look, over clocked inkies give weird light. Over clocked quartz can hurt without looking at them, people don't like the light.

LEDs? I'm so behind on those, I still don't understand changes in color temperature, an inkie at 1 volt is 10 degrees, etc. But it effects vision, such as those yellow sodium or some green fluorescents are hard to see in and wear your eyes out.

Just a little something to help you understand. While I can't say for a fact, I have the feeling that if you run a lot of extra volts into an LED, you'll regret it.

I'll bet there's a light out there at the voltage you need. But there's so much out there it can be hard to search for. If I was on a computer instead of my phone at lunch I might take a crack at it.

fabieville said:
What I want to know is if its safe to power the light from 9V? as I was planning to buy a 24v-9v dc buck converter to use which would make the light much brighter.
First off, all LED's need a ballast. A ballast regulates current, because that's what LED's care about. The simplest ballast is a resistor to limit current. Most LED's use something more sophisticated, like a current mode buck converter.

If your bike light has an electronic ballast it will likely be OK with 9 volts, because the ballast will do its job and regulate the current. If it's just a resistor then you might overcurrent it.

To test this, hook it up to a power supply with a current readout. As you increase the voltage from 7.2 to 8.4 volts, the current should drop. If it does then you can probably operate it at 9 volts. If the current goes UP you probably cannot operate it at 9 volts.

As an aside, many buck converters allow you to trim the voltage down a bit.

I agree with Bill. It should be fine at 9V but it won’t be any brighter because the driver ballast will keep it constant.

Back