Grin CA3-DP problem with PAS

PaulStock

100 µW
Hi,
Bought a CA3-DP from ebikes.ca. While installing a false connecting from the PAS killed the CA3-DP. Some support was given by Grin suggesting I could fix it if I changed a diode but it could be micro chip fault too which would mean they would accept a return for repair.

All communication from Grin has ceased which leaves me with little hope they are concerned to fix the problem in a serious way.

Haven't taken one cm with their computer Display.

Be warned a major weakness of shorting the Grin CA3-DP through the PAS device.

Too bad fore me too, my CA3 died few weeks ago.
Emailed CA,but no replies after few mails...., in the past their communication was better....

O well......

Hi Boomer,
Got the same "ah well" feeling too. For me I hadn't a chance to use the display once. :( What I am really trying to inform the public to the
inherent problem in Grins system that a short from the PAS 10v wire can kill the system.

I agree that it is sad that Grin are not communicating , seemingly ignoring the issue that in all seriousness is a real weak point to the CA3.

I am sure they may not have got to my case as they are a very reputable seemingly.

And to think the cost in import duties plus the unit cost was a real sum of money.

Just to add I did have some communication regarding repairing the Display. They suggested changing the diode at D3 on the schematic but also warned that microprocessor could be fried.

After I changed the diode with a sod 123 100v it still was dead.

So I requested a RMA and still waiting.

Maybe they will deal with issue. Hopefully.

Just an idea would it be possible to protect the circuit board of the CA3 to shorts from connecting external devices ?

Aha maybe that is the reason I have no replies yet.
Yes I hope we have solution for shorting ca3, I am now at third ca3 (not counting ca2) :oops: :oops: so I hope this the last one....

Wow! Boomer that is alot of CAs shorting.

After I requested a RMA I received a email from Grin asking me what the problem was. Little surprising as I was communicating to their support about the issue multiple times. Maybe there is not much internal communication being done.

Status so far is awaiting a RMA number to return the CA3.
I will update.

Unfortunately Grin or ebikes.ca have not answered my emails since 7th August.

I have to recommend to look for an alternative computer display supplier.

The cost plus the length of time to get support of which still waiting is too much to take a risk with a device that can short out too easily.

This probably doesnt' help, but:

If all you want is a wattmeter, you can get those cheaply. Most don't remember any of the ride data once power is lost, but you can often add an auxiliary battery to fix that. Similarly, bike speedos are cheap. Don't know anything except the CA that has both in the same display.

But if you want the control functions the CA has, there isn't anything else out there that does that.

The only way I know to be able to control the things the CA does, without a CA, is to get a controller that has the functions you want already built in. Some of those have displays, too, though I don't know of any off the top of my head that also do wattmeter functionality, so might require a separate meter for that, if you needed it.

Thanks for the suggestions amberwolf.
I've got the system working with out the CA3

Still waiting for support from Grin though. It looks like, considering the lack of support, that they have no longterm intention on fixing
the CA3 .

We will see.

Yeah current controllers has many features now.
I have still old controller so lack of features, that is why I have to use a watt meter e.g. CA or....

Otherwise no more CA for me......
Too expensive for small pcb with a microchip....

My situation....yeah most burned CA's, due of high voltage and water problem.....

No response from Grin known as ebikes.ca for atleast a month.

They are completely not interested on dealing with their failed CA3 that went gaga after a misconnection on the PAS.

Sorry to say but they are not trustworthy and overly try to sell this idea that we are experiemental but in essence sell overpriced Atari electronics.

Everyone is welcome to virtue their credentials but in all seriousness what kind of userface is on the CA3 to merit serious consideration for purchasing a control center?

Update.

Still broken. I've given up :cry: the hassle and cost of sending back the CA3 to Grin is just too much.
Watch out on installing connectors for the PAS.

Back