Canadian E-bike Law and Definition

axca

1 mW
Greetings and new user here.

I did a quick search of the forum regarding the general take on this subject. I could see a limited discussion pertaining to this from 2014.

As per the so-called federal definition of "power-assisted bicycle", it has been stipulated, among other things, that an ebike motor needs to have "a total continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of each motor, of 500 W or less".

Obviously there are practical difficulties for an average DIYer to ascertain this since not many have the means to spin a motor on a dynamometer at a given voltage to so as to titrate the current to satisfy this power requirement, and then program the controller to limit current draw to that amperage ...

But on practical terms, it does mean that one could rely on motor producer's recommendations to make a reasonable effort to ensure that the power output stays within legal envelope. For example, an average BBSXX mid-drive motor can be rated for a 500W power output with either 48V/18A and 36V/25A setups.

For those who use 600W - 1200W "nominal-rated" DD motors, which is practically everything apart from Bionx, do you affix a DIY "manufacturer's label" on the motor to at least show that you have adjusted the controller to make it "street-legal" or most just couldn't be "bothered"?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks for the link, Markz.

To take it to a logical extreme a 200 hp car parked is outputting little to no horse power, despite the engine still humming. So the speaker in the YouTube video is talking about power being dependent (linearly?) on RPM and torque, (passing peak power RPM goes up and torque goes down ... etc.)

Despite that and the practical unenforceability of the "500W" continuous power stipulation, would the mere "nominal rating" (at human cadence) not still be a useful defence to have on one's side should a crash or accident occur? After all, there are rules on boating HP and age limit, etc ... which can be consequential should an accident occur when a minor is steering a boat outside of the power envelope s/he is "entitled to".

Just wondering.

axca - To each their own, most of us, if not all of us, believe in responsible e-bike riding.
What province are you in axca?

On a side note, I am 6'5" tall and 380'ish lbs and perhaps I ride in a place with very steep and long hills and have an extra 200lbs of groceries I am hauling from say Costco. The next fella down could be a 5'6" 125lb fella riding with no cargo, in a place where their ain't no hill to be seen for 100 miles. So there is that. And this; If you go to your local bicycle store, they sell e-bicycles that do not go more then 32km/h.

"The next fella down could be a 5'6" 125lb fella riding with no cargo" ...

Telepathic? :D I am a "sub 10-stoner" (~139 lbs wet) and 174 cm (5'8"+).

I also happen to be in the reasonably e-bike friendly city of Ottawa.

http://archives.ncc-ccn.ca/places-to-visit/parks-paths/rules-electric-bikes-e-bikes (Every NCC pathway except Gatineau Park)

https://ottawa.ca/en/residents/transportation-and-parking/road-safety/cycling-safety ("E-bikes are allowed to travel anywhere bicycles are permitted to travel")

I am planning on building an E-MTB (through my LBS) for horsing around with little to no cargo. Having said that, I am toying with the idea of hauling my 6-yo on a trailercycle from time to time. Motor is mainly a range extender for me and a hauler at the odd times.

To tell the truth my first idea is to build a MTB with the components I want ... then I thought: why not throw on a motor in this day and age?

I did go into a larger ebike store here in town. Staff were quite friendly. But the gaudy color scheme of the e-mtb offerings turned me a bit off. And I am not ready for a hybrid. Well a MTB ridden on a bike path IS a hybrid ... For those of us who have the misfortunate (or the great fortune?) of not living on Vancouver island (where cheerful Justin and sunny Grin are apparently located), a commuter e-bike is just not feasible 7 months of the year ...

Back