I broke rear axle of Motorino XPe scooter

chazacisa

1 µW
I broke the axle which resembles a threaded rod about half an inch in diameter.
I called Motorino in Vancouver and they said I cannot fix and that I will need the whole unit including the hub, motor, wheel.
I wonder if I can somehow weld this piece or drill it out and put in a new threaded rod on the broken side.
Unfortunately, this is also where the electric cord goes in to power the hub, so it's drilled out.

Any help is appreciated. I am new to this kind of forum.

Thanks,
Chaz :(

Attachments

• broken.axle.jpg
    broken.axle.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 501
Welcome to the Chinese alternative to engineering. The thing was foreseeably designed to fail, and it did.

Any attempt to repair that crappy axle will result in an even weaker axle that breaks much sooner. The thing barely works as it is. There's no structural margin to spend on improvised repairs.

The best alternative for you is either to do as your local shop advises, or else have a skilled machine shop make a duplicate of your old axle to better tolerances, from better material, and install it for you. I would not be surprised if the first option is substantially cheaper.

Unfortunately, I can say from experience that Chalo is right.

If it had been on the non-wire side, you'd have a decent chance of making it work by welding it back together. I did that successfully on my MXUS 4504 on the left wheel of SB Cruiser, and I think it ended up stronger than it started out. :lol:

But two attempts to repair the wire-side axle of the 4503 on the right side have failed, and I will have to do something more drastic to fix that one (see the last few posts in the SB Cruiser trike thread linked in my signature for pics and info on that).

If you have access to a press, you can press out the original axle and replace it with a new one. If you can't do it yourself, paying someone to do this might cost as much as a new motor (or at least a new stator for the motor you have, if the company will send you one).

Back