Removing covers from MP5? Bunch of resistance/no click.

dibbitts

1 µW
I can't quite determine where the seam is. It is a Luna black plain sided one, and I'm thinking they painted after the assembly. Just guess and go around it with a razor knife like an old painted in window? Pry it with a flathead screwdriver? (Seems like I'll bend it).

It has a bunch of resistance, but I can still forcefully turn it by twisting the spindle/axle by hand. If it sounds like I don't need to remove the cover before removing the controller please stop me. Disconnect the controller first, and see if there's a difference in resistance first?

What a great bunch of guys and a great forum. Thanks ahead of time!

What happened prior to the problem? How did it behave on the bike?

Is the controller external? If so, disconnect it's three thick phase wires.

If it's internal you have to open the motor to do that.

I don't know the MP5, but you can search the forum for MP5 or Magic Pie and see what comes up; someone has surely posted pics of one taken apart, which should help you find the seams.

Some motors have to be unlaced from their rim on at least one side in order to open them, because the seam is between the spoke flanges. The ones I've personally seen are BionX and UltraMotor, but there's probably others.

Here is a video of Gary taking apart a MP3 which is very similar. The reason it sticks is that they use silicon caulk during assemby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXCj_Dd10U

Regards,
T.C.

On a magic pie v you can remove and replace the controller without removing the covers, it comes off from the brake side

Thanks so far. I have the controller off; had to use small flathead screwdriver to loosen, and it is unplugged.
I can turn the wheel w/o controller attached a little better, by no means spins freely. I know that there should be a little resistance with a DD, but it seems much, and it makes a noise like fingernails dragging across corduroy fabric.
I still would like to take a "look under the hood", to see if anything is burnt, melted, etc.
So then, provided all is well under the cover, what would you do? Replace with stock controller or move to a Phaserunner or another tidy external controller? Or should I wait on that until I obtain a different DD motor before bothering with a PR?
I'm not looking for highway speeds, just 25-30 up hills with a bunch of weight (me, kid, groceries) and that's why I have two Pie's. It was fine when both worked as far as speed/torque, and never seemed to slow much, let alone slow-stall. I ride mostly streets, and it sure was nice getting up to in-town speed to be able to merge lanes. It feels safer, and with 2wd if one motor dies you still don't get hit by a car.
Thanks so much and I hope you guys are enjoying your Labor Day weekend!

Back