USA Custom Import Duty Fee's

silviasol

10 kW
This is not a question that really relates to anything for this forum but thought maybe some would know about it.
I have ordered a product from Hong Kong about 3-5 times a year for the past 4 years. It is thousands of a tiny items made of silicone that I sell on ebay. Nothing that is trademark infringement just an accessory for electronics. Never once had them hold a package and a few times they had inspected the package and seal it back up with their inspection tape.
So this time customs held my package and I have to wait however long to get their letter about why it is held. It was valued at $2300 which from the research I have just done is considered an informal entry since it is under $2500. However I now see that not paying duty fee's is only for goods that are for personal consumption, and I guess thousands of silicone pieces is going to look like a resell item to them.
So a few questions I have are.
How will this end? Will I just pay the taxes due for the $2300 it was declared at?
Will they fine me? Or will they make their own guess at it's value and tax me for that amount. :shock: I can only assume they will be ignorant to the value of it.
From now on I want to just pay the import taxes. But I have no idea how to do this. What do I do to set up a shipment that I pick it up paying the import tax?
Last question is about the companies I buy from. If they are sending all these packages to go thru customs without the receiver paying import fee's would it not be possible for them to send packages out as something that would be intended for resale? Like that would make they pay different fee's in Hong Kong or would be a red flag for inspection then they would get in trouble or fined in their own country. This of course would mean I would have to take the chance they would seize more of my packages sending the way they and also take the loss of the seized package(no way they are going to sell to me again if I start a paypal dispute), or I would just have to quit selling the product all together and find a company that does it the legal way. IF there are any in Hong Kong that would do this the way USA intends them to.

I doubt the Hong Kong authorities are concerned with enforcing US Customs laws. They send the packages out that way because that's what most people want, something that looks like personal consumption items and likely won't incur any friction from the destination country upon arrival.

If you want them to play by the rules, they should be able to do that. They will likely charge you some fee for the extra paperwork.

AFAIK all they need to do is clearly mark on the package what it's contents are and their value. There's probably a declaration form they can download, fill out and attach that will have everything the US customs should need. I've seen the forms at our Canada Post offices, various courier outlets (FedEx, UPS, etc). They are probably common worldwide.

I don't think they're going to fine or otherwise punish you for a package that arrived with your name on it. You didn't misdeclare anything, if anyone did it was the exporter.

They'd have to prove that it was done on your behalf, which isn't impossible but I highly doubt you will be subject to the type of investigation they'd need to pin it on you personally.

In terms of declaring a value for them, I think what you paid for them in HK should do it. This is what the sender would normally declare on the package if they send it the proper way.

In lieu of this I guess the customs officer has assumed a value based on a guide, items for sale online or guesswork. Either way it's probably greater.

Back