Motor for ebike

Pankaj

1 µW
Hi, I am new here and not a technical guy. I want to build ebike that have maximum speed upto 80 km/h , have loading capacity of 3 person and give atleast 60km per charge. Now , I want to know which motor best suit my requirement. Ac motor or dc motor of how much volt , with how much phase and pole , motor cooling technology. I have studied number of articles and find ac induction motor (oil cool) is good. Please give suggestions.

That's not a good first project. Start with something simpler and safer.

Already studied number of article, there is no point to point answer, that's why I have posted here. So pleass tell me from where to start, I think first step is too choose right component , that fitts my requitement.

Read more. ^^ Also, watt these folks are telling you. :wink:

Actually the first step is to realize that bicycles are not built to go 50mph. The frames and brakes are not designed for that kind of speed or weight. For a speed of 80 kph, you should consider a moped.

The second step to realize reading a couple of links isn't enough to build the project you want.

Some people build 80 kph bicycles but the components are not "off the shelf" items. Their bicycles have a lot for customization and are made for a large motor and a powerful battery.

For a fast bike that can hold 3 you will need a custom frame that can hold three people, rims that can fit moped tires, a big motor and a battery that can delver more then 72 volts. Your whole system my need to 100 volts. That means you controller will also have to handle 100 volts. You wiring will have to withstand 100 volts and large amps. You might even need to customize a motor side cover to have two rotors on one wheel for enough breaking power for all the weight you plan to carry at the speeds you require.

As Chalo stated, this project is not the kind of thing a new e-bike builder should build.

So for a start, learn how to build a long tailed custom heavy duty bicycle frame that can fit three people, with space in the triangle for your powerful battery, duel disk break caliper mounts in at least the forks and enough room in the rear dropouts to fit a cromotor or other large motor.

Do you know how to manufacture and weld bicycle frames?

:D

Honestly what you're asking for is motorcycle-level stuff, partly because of the speed, and partly because of the heavy load (3 passengers, presumably plus the driver/rider), and because the range you want, which at those speeds and loads even on level ground with no wind and open roads is going to take a very large and heavy battery. If there's hills or wind or stop/start traffic, it could take multiple times the size of battery.

With the right skills and parts, you could build it with bicycle stuff, but it will cost more and require more maintenance, and using bicycle motors and batteries you'll either need more of them or have to implement potentially complicated cooling systems.

If you go with motorcycle parts for the bike (trike?), and motorcycle-level batteries and motors, you'll have a lot less problems both in building it and in maintaining and using it, and it'll probably be cheaper. Heavier, but less likely to break without everyday maintenance.

You could look for an existing motorcycle-based trike or bike that does what you want, and then convert it to electric. That's the easiest way. Otherwise, you can look for one that does what you want, and then copy it, which is a little harder but lets you change anything you like while building it.

To convert it, you could look around for used electric motorcycles, and buy a few batteries from them, setting them up in parallel (as long as they're all the same voltage), and using the motor/controller/etc from one or more of them to drive the bike or trike.

Cboy on here has a trike that could probably be adapted to your needs, if lighter batteries were used (the lead batteries it has take up the weight of multiple people; using quality lithium batteries from EVs would allow it to carry more people instead).

There's no one answer to your project; it depends on the money you have to spend on it, the time you are willing to spend on it, and the skills you have (or are willing to learn) to complete it.

Unfortunately it may take a lot more research of your own to do it, especially if you want to do it with bicycle parts.

If you have to do it with all used stuff and build it completely yourself, you could look at Naeem's thread, under Numberonebikeslover, and see what resources he used to make his bike with. His won't do what you want, but it may show you how to use local resources to your advantage if you can't have the stuff you need shipped in.

Back