Three Speed Overdrive Torque ripple?? [cyclone 3000]

I have been searching for the colors of the wires for the overdrive. I have a blue with white stripe and a black w/white stripe to choose from. They are not the same colors as on the diagram.

I don't want to rig up a three position switch to find out which wire are which. I do not even want to use the overdrive. I have a good single pole switch that fits on my handle bars and I could not find a SPDT switch for the handle bars. So I am hoping that some one can tell me which wire is which.

over%2Bdrive%2Bsettings.JPG

Does the 80% slow RPM drive help with torque ripple?

“Trapezoidal commutation is inadequate to provide smooth and precise motor control of brushless dc motors, particularly at low speeds. Sinusoidal commutation solves this problem. This is because of the torque produced in a three phase brushless motor (with a sine wave back-EMF).

Sinusoidally commutated brushless motor controllers attempt to drive the three motor windings with three currents that vary smoothly and sinusoidally as the motor turns. The relative phases of these currents are chosen so that they should result in a smoothly rotating current space vector that is always in the quadrature direction with respect to the rotor and has constant magnitude. This eliminates the torque ripple and commutation spikes associated with trapezoidal commutation.”

Does this mean that my cyclone3000 [that has a Trapezoidal controller] will run roughly at low rpm (how slow?) And is the best thing to do about it, would be to use a larger gear reduction to be sure that I have to run the motor faster when climbing hills?

What are the simptoms of “torque ripple”?

If its the basic 3 socket female plug on the controller end, you can use a piece of wire or a bent paperclip jammed into the plug for testing.
its usually the center and one of the two outside sockets... I've had mine paperclipped on high for years now.

I don't think it will change the feel much tho... mostly just the top speed it attains

You can just attach either the pink or blue wire to the black one and see what happens to the top speed unloaded. Once you figure out which one slows it down, you can attach your SPST switch.

The switch will act like not being able to turn the throttle all the way up.

Torque ripple won't change with the low speed setting. Torque ripple mainly affects how much noise the motor makes.

Back