Emergency Disconnect Switch

artvk

100 mW
Hi guys,

I would like to know where to buy well-designed disconnect switch that handle my e-motorcycle 72V.
I only see the one in attached photo from Aliexpress. Most of them from China quite big and not good looking.
Thanks in advance !!
Screen Shot 2561-11-15 at 12.52.32 PM.png

They tend to be big and ugly because you needs a lot of switch to carry and, when needed, break the current of something like a motorcycle.

Many woud argue that, unlike a brushed motor, if you have a brushless system you don't need one, as long ss you have a keyswitch and brake cutouts in case the throttle becomes faulty. The controller itself should never fail in a manner that provides drive to the motor (i.e. Mosfet failure).

AFAIK though, commercial EVs use a contactor controlled by the keyswitch. Still big and ugly, but can be hidden away.

For a DIY solution you could use something like a big anderson powerpole connector with a handle. Place it where you can reach it and yank it to disconnect the battery.

That said, I am sceptical that on a runaway high powered motorcycle anyone would have the presence of mind and control to take one hand from the bars and fumble for a keyswitch or emergency disconnect. Brake cutouts would probably be most effective as you will naturally apply the brakes as a reflex.

Punx0r said:
They tend to be big and ugly because you needs a lot of switch to carry and, when needed, break the current of something like a motorcycle.

Many woud argue that, unlike a brushed motor, if you have a brushless system you don't need one, as long ss you have a keyswitch and brake cutouts in case the throttle becomes faulty. The controller itself should never fail in a manner that provides drive to the motor (i.e. Mosfet failure).

AFAIK though, commercial EVs use a contactor controlled by the keyswitch. Still big and ugly, but can be hidden away.

For a DIY solution you could use something like a big anderson powerpole connector with a handle. Place it where you can reach it and yank it to disconnect the battery.

That said, I am sceptical that on a runaway high powered motorcycle anyone would have the presence of mind and control to take one hand from the bars and fumble for a keyswitch or emergency disconnect. Brake cutouts would probably be most effective as you will naturally apply the brakes as a reflex.

Thanks

Back