18650 battery pack repair needed

TrikeBirder

100 µW
I have an 18650 Luna Shark 13.6 ah battery pack that went swimming a year ago, and hasn't worked since. I live in mid-Michigan, and would like to find someone who would be willing to tackle trying to fix it. Luna Cycle say's frequently the problem is just the BMS. I have since replaced the battery pack, but I'd like to get the bad one repaired. If I can find no one in Michigan, I could possibly drop it off next time i travel. Please help me out if you can.

If it was literally submerged in water, you should probably open it up and take a look to see if there's corrosion on the cells themselves. If so, it's possible (even likely) that the whole pack would have to be rebuilt from new cells.

SImilarly, if the cells have discharged to dead from the BMS being connected for so long but without charging the pack to compensate, they should be replaced.

There doesn't appear to be corrosion, and when I hook it up to a charger, it starts to count up before just stopping. It might still have some charge. But it sounds like if I can't get it fixed soon, it will be toast. Not really what I want to hear, but I do appreciate your honesty.

Mike

There doesn't appear to be corrosion, and when I hook it up to a charger, it starts to count up before just stopping. It might still have some charge. But it sounds like if I can't get it fixed soon, it will be toast. Not really what I want to hear, but I do appreciate your honesty.

Mike

properly cleaned dried 18650 can cells may survive brief clean fresh water submersion

long term soak depends mineral content and resulting discharge

diy person with meter and basic skills can pinpoint trouble

determine best way to go

for hire service people wisely avoid due to liability risks

TrikeBirder said:
There doesn't appear to be corrosion, and when I hook it up to a charger, it starts to count up before just stopping.
That sounds like it's unbalanced, which can be normal for a pack left sitting, especially if it was partially discharged to start with.

If it charges for a while before stopping, then you could just leave the pack on teh charger whenever you are there to watch it. It could take days, or weeks, to rebalance it and fully charge it.

If it only charges for a few seconds or less before stopping, the BMS may not be allowing any charge, either because one or more cell groups are too far discharged, or because something is wrong with the BMS.

You'd have to measure the voltages of each cell group to find out which is happening, or if it is something else entirely. If you can't get local help and want to fix it, you can look up other battery repair threads for details on how to troubleshoot it.

Back