Controller with two seperate speeds?

Is there controller that I can use with this motor [I have a Cyclone3000 and 52v battery. the controller is teh cheap non programable one] that makes it possible to have three seperate speed ranges at the flip of a switch? I think this three speed mechanism does nothing more than eleminate the high rpms at the low setting and produce hard accelleration on the over drive. Making it possible to pop the bike up and through me off. I don't even want to try that setting. I already have arthritic knees that keep me from walking and pedaling my bicycle up-hill.

My experience of an "Infineon" controller from EM3EV with the three-speed switch is that it limited both top speed and torque (including from a standing start). Compared to the low speed setting, the high speed setting was much more twitchy on the throttle pulling away and at low speeds and required more care to avoid an accident when manoeuvring at low speed.

You might be able to achieve something similar on your existing non-programmable controller by using a two or three-position switch to insert a resistor into the throttle circuit to limit the throttle signal going to the controller.

I can never remember the Xie Chang name, only that they're wrongly known as Infineons, so I just halfass it by putting that in quotes :D

markz said:
Xie Chang using Infineon parts ;)

They're not (AFAIK).

I don't think actual Infineon MCUs have been used on anything ebike in a long time (years or more). But the Infineon MCUs in many of the first widespread digital (vs analog) controlled brushless controllers are why they were called Infineon controllers; the name just stuck on all the generic controlers after that.

The Xie Chang controllers are called that becuse they use Xie Chang MCUs (look at the p/ns on the MCU, they start with XC). And like the others before that, there's other generics out there that don't use the XC MCUs that get called Xie Chang, too.

I am thinking about using a Cycle Analyst to controll the controller with throttle output. But I still do not know which one to use. The CA3 will controll the motor controller through the throttle signal. But I daon't know what the difference would be from the Cyclone's controller 3 speed swiching system.

And I discovered that the battery pack I bought does nto have anywhere near as much mileage as I thought it would. So I need to buy the CycleAnalyst that would be most healpfull to give me more mileage.

I think I may need to know how many pole pairs there are in the Cyclone3000. And or I may need one of their Grinfineon or Phaserunner controllers....?

Just keep in mind that a cycle analyst is a piggy back controller.
The controller takes action first, then the cycle analyst reacts on it.

This may end up feeling jerky on a high power setup unless you finely tune it.
I could never figure out how to tune it to not be jerky on a MAC motor with an infineon clone controller, and i suspect the high RPM cyclone motor might have the same result.

It is better to have this limiting feature happen at the controller.

Hugh-Jassman said:
And I discovered that the battery pack I bought does nto have anywhere near as much mileage as I thought it would. So I need to buy the CycleAnalyst that would be most healpfull to give me more mileage.

You'd need a bigger battery to get more mileage, unless you simply slow down or use less motor power.

If you use enough less motor power to make a significant difference in mileage, you'll go a lot slower, or be unable to climb steeper hills, etc., unless you compensate by pedalling the difference in power (usually not possible for a significant difference in power levels, for enough to make a difference in mileage, under high load conditions).

A CA or other limiting device won't give you any more mileage under the same usage conditions.

So you think I will use the same amount of energy to cruise down a 3% grade hill in a high gear than I would use in a low gear? I will need to test that out when I get my CycleAnalyst.

I did discover that a high gear is needed to pedal at the same rate as the motor is propelling me most of the time. But I still need a low gear for serious hill climbing. So I am working on building a two speed crankset. It is not easy with this racheting cyclone crankset.

amberwolf said:
Hugh-Jassman said:

You'd need a bigger battery to get more mileage, unless you simply slow down or use less motor power.

If you use enough less motor power to make a significant difference in mileage, you'll go a lot slower, or be unable to climb steeper hills, etc., unless you compensate by pedalling the difference in power (usually not possible for a significant difference in power levels, for enough to make a difference in mileage, under high load conditions).

A CA or other limiting device won't give you any more mileage under the same usage conditions.

Back