NEWBIE: EBIKE BUILD ADVICE

godbody5

1 µW
HI EVERYONE!

I Am New to this world of E Vehicle Tech so forgive me if I sound ignorant.

In my short research I have discovered that this forum is the #1 source of knowledge on electric Bikes and I look forward to being guided by this community. Coming from mopeds, another small niche community i know the value or shared knowledge on these forums goes a long way

I Am using a Tomos Flexer as a base (120lbs) for my build and plan on using a mid drive motor. ( the mag wheels i have do not allow me to use the hub)

The specs I am hopping to achieve are:

30 mph (with a possible boost mode at 40mph but not necessary)
30-50 Mile range
5 hour charge time max

Based on my research I am looking into these component specs

MOTOR: 1500-2000 watt
BATTERY: 60v 35ah
CONTRLLER: 60V 30 ah
CHARGER?

My question is do the component specs add up to my desired performance expectations? (if not, what specs do u recommend)

It's important to note that I want to source my parts for as cheap(but quality) as possible preferably on a manufacture level. not a Kit like Bafang.

I intend to purchase just the raw motor and fabricating my own mounts and willing to sacrifice housing esthetics on the battery for a lower price . Any advice on manufactures would be a great help

Here is a link to the battery company I am looking into http://www.xcgdbattery.com/ they are going to charge me $416 for a 60v 35ah battery using there own cells. Does anyone know if this company is reputable or how this price compares to having a battery with name brand cells(samsung,Panasonic, etc)?

I know I've asked a lot but any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

you'll be totally fine with your spec if you get quality stuff.

I think QS motor 2000w mid drive motor and votol em100 controller kit will fit fine.
http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/

I am doubting the battery choice, it is cheap but internal resistance of the cells is high, 40-50% higher than the top cells. Choose another one or just try it out.. A first build is also about playing a little :D It won't be perfect anyway.

I would build the pack myself with panasonic18650pf cells but it is a large effort.

This could be a good deal depending on shipment cost and if you can fit the motor:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=97332

Overshoots the power goal by miles :D

I have the same motor, it's great but power hungry!

Thanks for the advice guys!!
Ive been looking at the luna battery equivalent to the 60v 35ah and it seems almost double the price $800 vs the other company $416

are the quality of the Panasonic really worth double? and what do i lose in from going from 60v 35ah(sincpower) to 60v 20ah?

I think the specs do not differ wildly. I found that the pf cells internal resistance are around 40mohm, with your pack this diff would mean 2% diff in system efficiency att 72V 100A 50mohm motor phase resistance.
PF cells are ~10-15% higher capacity
The main difference is that the PF specs can be trusted but the sincpower.. we don't know. Chinese cells are known to have inflated specs. Battery is a long term purchase, you'll use it for years - I'd buy from Luna myself. If you include shipping then the Luna battery might look more competitive?

If you can fit the extra batteries then the resistance can be made same.
Say 60v 30Ah is the goal. Thats 16s10p, 160 cells in PF cells at 2,9Ah 40mohm

To get same resistance you need 16s13p pack / 208 cells in the sincpower ones at 2,6Ah 50mohm

To get same capacity as PF you need 16s11p

..IF the specs are correct. Normally they're not correct from China.

What kind of BMS do you get with the batteries? That could also be very different, tipping your decision in either direction

(but i'd still guess Luna is the better choice)

I have a question

we are looking at battery an controller relationships. We want to know how much amp discharge a battery can handle in relation to the controller

for example we ordered a 60v 30ah battery

should it only match with a controller with same or less amp hour draw? OR can we(is it safe or efficient) to have a controller with a bigger ah draw than the battery?

High amp draw / c-rate lowers the life of the pack. PF cells can take 10A as the maximum current so at 11 parallell you'd get 110A out of your pack at close to 3c (10A/2.9Ah) but you'd get lower cycles out of it. It all depends on what you're after.

I'd spec the pack output larger than the max controller current. How much is not black or white, lower load is better and higher load is worse for lifetime but there's no defined threshold to stay under besides the max rating.

Back