Switching my shifters

Norab

1 µW
So as a total ebike newb, I have started looking at what I have to change, over and above what was supplied with my conversion kit. One of the first things that is staring me in the face, is the brake levers. My current MTB has Shimano TZ30 combo brake lever and shifter. In order for me to have the cutout switches, I have to install the levers that came with my hub motor. My question is, where can I get plain shifters that will work with my TZ50 7speed derailleur. Does Shimano have an interchangeability guide somewhere on the web or is there some other brand that would work with my cheapy gear set? I thought about removing the brake levers from the existing setup but when I put the new levers on, the old shifters get pushed toward the centre and out of reach of my thumb, without moving my hands off the grip. This might have already been discussed but my search didn't reveal anything specific.
Thanks

simple solution retain integrated shifters add external brake switches

sometimes possible to scavenge components from supplied switching levers

glue/adapt parts to the stock integrated assembly

do search solutions for hydraulic brakes cut offs

often use external switch schemes same as integrated levers

external magnetic switches for bafang bbsxx commercially available

You really don't need them. Most here don't use them since they are not a good brake lever and doesn't work in some systems. Just remember to release the rhrottle before you brake. If you can't do that you might want to think twice about riding.

You Don't Need Them!

Dan

I used to think that too, until my throttle wire shorted out, jumping my bike to full power in the middle of traffic heading towards a busy intersection. Its a powerful bike, so even with full braking it was moving pretty good until after dodging the bus and the cross traffic I was able to reach down and yank the power wires.

BAR MOUNTED CUTOFFS OF SOME TYPE ARE A GOOD IDEA! It just doesn't seem important... until it is.

Voltron said:
I used to think that too, until my throttle wire shorted out, jumping my bike to full power in the middle of traffic heading towards a busy intersection. Its a powerful bike, so even with full braking it was moving pretty good until after dodging the bus and the cross traffic I was able to reach down and yank the power wires.

BAR MOUNTED CUTOFFS OF SOME TYPE ARE A GOOD IDEA! It just doesn't seem important... until it is.
I can't disagree with you and I do have a kill switch close by but the ones with the kits are crap compared to what is now available after market.

Dan

I like the Shimano Acera or Altus XL310 trigger shifters. They fit with my ebrakes, thumb throttle, and controller buttons, plus I think they work well. The right side have 8 indents for a 8 geas, but I use them on 7 gears w/o problems. Around $20-25per pair on ebay.

Acera.jpg

Norab said:
In order for me to have the cutout switches, I have to install the levers that came with my hub motor.
Nope. You can buy off the shelf solutions like:

HWBS (hidden wire brake switch; not directly compatible with existing wiring on all controllers, might require opening the controller to add wires)

Tripwire (which ebikes.ca carries)

that let you keep your existing levers (which are pretty much always going to be much better quality levers than what come with the kits).

There's also many DIY solutions here on ES and elsewhere.

Back