Fewer Americans bike to work despite new trails, lanes and bicycle share programs

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ericans-new-trails-share-programs/2319972002/

Nationally, the percentage of people who say they use a bike to get to work fell by 3.2 percent from 2016 to 2017, to an average of 836,569 commuters, according to the bureau's latest American Community Survey, which regularly asks a group of Americans about their habits. That's down from a high of 904,463 in 2014, when it peaked after four straight years of increases.

In some cities, the decline was far more drastic. In Tampa, Florida, and Cleveland, cycling to work dropped by at least 50 percent, although in some cities, cycling to work was up just as dramatically.

Pretty sad! kinda explains the dips that the bike industry has been taking lately.

Moral weakness is contagious. The more people indulge in it, the more acceptable it seems to be.

If we don't snuff out our lineage, our descendants not long from now will wonder how we could possibly have been so stupid, selfish, and short-sighted.

Around here, most of the people that bike anywhere only do it because they don't have (or can't drive) a car for one reason or another. If they have any access to cars they'll use them (whether it's driving themselves, or riding with someone else).

Except for those that frequently ride bikes recreationally (but those *only* do it for recreation, and do not ride them to commute, or anything else, and frequently drive to get them and their bike to the place they start the ride at, even if it is within a mile of their house).

There are a very few exceptions, but I can't even put a name to any of them. I used to know several that used to ride by choice, but none of them do anymore (don't know why).

Even my coworkers that live in the apartments directly behind my workplace drive, if they have a car or access to one (or ride with someone else if they have that option).

I'm the only one I know around this area (Metro Phoenix) that uses a bike (trike now) exclusively, on purpose, by choice, for commuting, shopping, recreation, etc. Wturber somewhat farther east of here does, but he's the closest one I know of.

Over the years, I've talked to lots of people (up to several a month, most months) about changing the lifestyle, even going ebike, but none have actually taken action and done it so far that I'm aware of.

I did convert a couple of friends that live far southeast of here, several years ago, to ride to things that were within a few miles, like grocery shopping, etc. Wasn't practical for their jobs (too far away) though. I don't know if they still do it or not (I suspect not--almost no one keeps doing it very long for one reason or another).

FWIW, there are places that won't let employees bike to work (or rather, won't hire you if you ride a bike vs drive a car, even if that makes zero difference to your arrival time, condition, or any other job performance). It's ok if you ride the bus, but not if you ride your bike.

The last time I was looking for a job, there were even work-from-home jobs that wouldn't hire you if you didn't have a car, even though you always would be working from home! I ran into a number of places I wasn't allowed to work at simply because I chose bicycling over driving.

I expect that makes a significant impact in whether people choose to bike to work or not, and once they already have a car, why shouldn't they just use it for everything? :/ :roll:

neptronix said:
Nationally, the percentage of people who say they use a bike to get to work fell by 3.2 percent from 2016 to 2017, to an average of 836,569 commuters, according to the bureau's latest American Community Survey, which regularly asks a group of Americans about their habits. That's down from a high of 904,463 in 2014, when it peaked after four straight years of increases.
Cheap gas.

cheap gas

weather

safety

theft

kcuf said:
cheap gas

weather

safety

theft
and cost of car ownership is so high, if you have one, you better use it, if you want to get your moneys worth.

Amberwolf, you're right on the money.
I've lived here in Salt Lake City, Utah for 6 years and only met two people who bicycled exclusively. One no longer does it.
Most bike riders are homeless people, a few young liberal idealists downtown, and people training for professional racing.

I stick out like a sore thumb.

The elements are pretty harsh in your area. I understand why you'd want something with air conditioning or heating. A little sedan would do the trick. But you see people going back and forth to something many times larger than that today.

It's a bummer but i'm going to keep on riding and building my dream machines. I have a brand new car, but driving it feels like a copout, and it's not enjoyable whatsoever. Nothing compares to the wind rushing through your hair and the sound of an electric motor whizzing, to me..

Whatever is going on in other areas, I've stopped commuting/errand activities in my burg since road riding is frightening. Lots of recreational riders in outlying areas, but the only ones in my urban environment seem to be homeless. I built a 2WD commuter with 500w front PAS/rear 1500w throttle but it's relegated to the bike path, and soon to be dismantled.

Well, a lot of us are retiring right now. I don't commute anymore, ever. :D

Same numbers might be seen in bike sales, as older bike riders simply die off, or just don't need a tenth bike at age 70.

And, two buck gas does make driving appealing.

Road riding is frightening. When I switched from e bike to 90 mph scooter for grocery getting, I cut the close calls by at least 80%. No more right crosses from riding in a bike lane. I actually worry more in a car, than I do on that gas scooter.

The few I still get are more dangerous, happening now at 65 mph, but a grab of gas leaves that fu--er behind. I just get on the freeway, and grab gas till I have space around me.

DD, that's what I used to do on ICE motorcycles; either get behind someone and let them run interference or juice it and locate an area where I could ride alone.

If i was limited to the bike lane, i would not ride a bike at all. I'd also have built something on a scooter or motorcycle chassis.

My riding is a mixture of bike lane ( when it exists so that i can go slower speeds to preserve range ), and the car lane at 30-45mph.

I am far more defensive when i ride in the bike lane because people do not expect a bike to be there, therefore they don't even glance at it to see if they can turn or not. You have to be very defensive and assume nobody is seeing you, out in the suburbs. In downtown Salt Lake, people are used to seeing bikes and scooters, so it's a totally different affair.

dogman dan said:
Road riding is frightening. When I switched from e bike to 90 mph scooter for grocery getting, I cut the close calls by at least 80%. No more right crosses from riding in a bike lane. I actually worry more in a car, than I do on that gas scooter.

The few I still get are more dangerous, happening now at 65 mph, but a grab of gas leaves that fu--er behind. I just get on the freeway, and grab gas till I have space around me.
I know several drivers that use similar logic - but they use that logic with respect to vehicle size. As long as they are in one of the largest vehicles on the road, they feel safer and are more willing to drive.

I E- biked to work today as here in Florida it is not so cold. We have nice trails. But really alot of people see lower gas priices and just drive today. Back around 2008 there was an e-bike bonanza. And there were perhaps more regular bikes on the road as well.
Bikes do give some freedom and flexibility as secondary transportation.

billvon said:
neptronix said:
Cheap gas.
Exaclty. Gas prices peaked in 2014. So people on the margin might change their behavior. Prices drop, and they change back.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gasoline-prices

Gas is going up again, so now is the time to ebike even more. That's what I started doing. Gas was dirt cheap for a few years and it made people a bit lazy. Bad weather is makes a valid excuse. Low gas prices? not really

Theres a bike lane a few miles from my house. Its one of a very few in the whole county. It actually splits the right turn lane from the 2 lanes going straight thru a light and its bi-directional. Meaning if I were to use it I would be not only in the middle of 3 lanes but possibly going against traffic.

Whoever gave those painted lines the green light should be fired. Or at least smacked around a bit.

As a bonus the very next light on that same road used to be the worst intersection in the entire town if not the whole county for vehicle accidents.

Increased workload by employers.
-Demands by employers that we respond quickly at all hours.
-The need to lug a big laptop.
-A few big holding companies own formerly independent companies. Its similar to a cartel.
I have worked for companies that support bicycle commuting, but not in the last decade.

- I agree with the previous posts, but employers share the blame.

TrotterBob said:
As a bonus the very next light on that same road used to be the worst intersection in the entire town if not the whole county for vehicle accidents.
That's probably why they put the bike lane there: more likely to get rid of the cyclists so they dont' have to make more bike lanes. ;)

amberwolf said:
TrotterBob said:
That's probably why they put the bike lane there: more likely to get rid of the cyclists so they dont' have to make more bike lanes. ;)
I had the same thought AW. :wink:

Back