Anyone into air guns/ air rifles ?

rumme

100 kW
Just bought a new style PCP air rifle, that has built in air pump. The 1st batch of these had some issues, so I waited for the new updated ones to come out. Very unique air gun and in .22 version , you can get up to 40FPE per shot . It has a knob for lo/hi power setting . Looks to be a great tool for dispatching small/medium game or target practice. No kickback issues either, like a normal break barrel spring rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2FC9xACZM&t=880s

I used to practice shooting indoors at 30 ft with my 22 air rifle. Saves lots of money on ammunition, and when going to the range with some hunting buddies you’re probably able to outshoot most of them. I used to tape air gun targets to the cover of big phone books inside of a cardboard box to keep ricochets to a minimum. Change phone books as needed, they turn into confetti after a while. :wink:

I get raccoons and possums in my back yard. I am a live-and-let-live guy, but I do know that sometimes they carry serious diseases, and I may sometimes need to dispose of a violent visitor. I live just close enough to a town that it would cause me serious issues with the police if I used a gun, and especially if I used a gun with a noise suppressor without the proper permits.

Oddly, I am completely allowed to legally use an air-rifle, so I researched them. Accuracy at ten yards (32 ft, 10 meters) is easily achieved across my back yard with the most affordable types, but I couldn't help but to be curious.

The most popular beginner style is a top break rifle (or pistol). The stock and barrel fold across a central hinge, and doing this single motion will set a spring-loaded piston.

RifleAir1.png

Crosman popularized the style where the forestock is the handle for an air-pump. This also means that you can choose how much pressure is stored in the reservoir by how many pumps you put into it (the lower "barrel" is a gas cylinder).

PistolAir1.png

The next step up is PCP / "pre-charged pneumatic". This style has an on-board tank that can hold pressurised air. The compressor is separate. Since the tank on the rifle is small, shooters can sometimes carry a larger tank to replenish the rifle. A popular "belt-tank" is a used carbon fiber unit that has been decommissioned from a firefighter air-mask. They are replaced on a regular basis, and the old ones sold.

There are three major divisions. First is unregulated (less expensive), then Mechanical regulator, and last the electronically-controlled regulator. My preference is a mechanical regulator, as I don't like batteries and electronics in a rifle.

Unregulated means there is a single pressure cylinder, and as the pressure goes down from one shot to the next, the bullets shoot slower. Incidentally, the highest pressures to not yield the fastest or most accurate shots. The striker that opens the spring-loaded air-valve can't open it all of the way when the pressure is at the tanks highest setting (since the tank pressure is pushing back against the valve). High pressure in an unregulated PCP just means you can get a lot of shots before needing to refill.

The next two types have two reservoirs in the rifle. The large storage reservoir is charged up as high as possible, and the adjustable regulator then sends some of the pressure that you desire into the shooting reservoir. The trigger mechanism opens the shooting reservoir pressure into the breech to propel the pellet. Since the small shooting reservoir is always at the same pressure, the accuracy and range of each shot will be more consistent.

The air-pressure regulator can be mechanical or electronically controlled, but either one provides the best possible accuracy in an air rifle. These are more expensive, so the rest of the component set is usually made to a higher level of quality than the average air rifle. The most expensive ones can use 3,000-PSI from a SCUBA compressor, and they use calibers that can be found as cast lead bullets. This allows you to melt and cast your own bullets, if you wish. 177 and 22 are by far the most popular calibers. Due to the blunt shape of the pellets, their velocity drops off fast near the end of their range.

.177 caliber, good for birds, rats, and mice, up to 30 yards
.22, squirrels, rabbits, etc...up to 40 yards
.25, raccoons, possums, etc...up to 50 yards
.30, (at 3,000-PSI)
.357, (at 3,000-PSI) coyotes, wild pigs at 100 yards
.44, .45, .50 (at 3,000-PSI) deer at 100 yards.

If your main interest is in the rifle being quiet, many models have a noise suppressor that is integrated (not removable), and the speed of the pellet should be kept below 900 feet per second (FPS) to avoid breaking the sound barrier.

The general problem with break barrel spring rifles is the recoil that you get in both directions when you pull the trigger . It can make it very difficult to be consistently accurate , even shooting from a bench.

The newest technology will most likely be many manufacturers going into the PCP rifles with onboard pumps. This is what I just purchased . They are powerful, and accurate because they do not have any springs to cause recoil. The one I bought is .22 caliber and comes with 2 magazines that holds 10 pellets. Check out the video I posted above. Depending on how heavy pellets you use and how you set the rifle to shoot power wise, this rifle is reportedly able to get 40+ FPE..which is more then enough for even mid sized game, with proper shot placement.

Gotta bunch of air up at the cabin, buddy bought a paintball gun and could not sell it on Kijiji or Craigslist, new rules.

Bought two TAU 7 co2 pistols in 1996. Both were .17 cal but I took a 22 barrel off a rifle and machined it down to replace the .17 cal barrel on one of the pistols. 23 years of use...other than minor problems that I could fix myself, they have been great!!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/928496354/BRNO-Tau-7-Match-Pistol-CO2-177-No-Reserv.htm

Back