Greatest boxers of all time ?

rumme

100 kW
Ali will always be in my top 5 , but I actually think A boxer named AARON PRYOR deserves much more credit then he gets. He was a light welterweight and the guy was non stop offense and if you knocked em down to the canvas, he would jump right back up on his feet and knock you out. It was rumored that he was on cocaine for many of his fights and it certainly seems plausible because he had endless energy.

I actually think Marciano is 1 of the most over rated heavyweights { despite his perfect record} . I think if he was fighting during the late 60s-70s era of boxing, he would have not done well with opponents like Frazier, Ali or Foreman.

Balrog?

Boxing is old news, MMA is where its at. How can a boxer grapple, can't, only punch, cant knee or elbow, just punch. MMA is multi-faceted, if someone wants to rob a woman in Rio, and she is an MMA fighter, the mugger will be begging her to call the Fuzz!

However if I were to choose, would be between Tyson, Ali and Forman.

I prefer the saxx brand, I used to be fruit of the loom but they changed them a long while back and never was the same

mcfizzlestag said:
I prefer the saxx brand, I used to be fruit of the loom but they changed them a long while back and never was the same

Costco's Kirkland Boxer Briefs are great, along with their Kodiak Athletic socks.

markz said:
How can a boxer grapple, can't, only punch, cant knee or elbow, just punch. MMA is multi-faceted, if someone wants to rob a woman in Rio, and she is an MMA fighter, the mugger will be begging her to call the Fuzz!

Sorry to disappoint you. Grappling works in a controlled setting, such as the MMA arena. It is true a self-defense fighter should be at least ready for a possibility of a fight ending up on the ground, but from the real world perspective, it is the worst place you can be if somebody is attacking you. Reason is pretty simple - grappling is a one on one situation, with no additional sources of danger. Should the attacker bring a buddy, or have a knife, it doesn't matter what your belt in Jiu-Jitsu is.

I think if opponents are well matched in size and weight, each would do well in their trained category. In an MMA fight, the boxer is likely to lose. In a boxing match, the MMA fighter is likely to lose...just my opinion.

Boxing is scored differently than MMA, and MMA usually ends in a submission (to avoid a broken arm), or a knockout.

I was disappointed when Ali did the rope-a-dope. He got his opponent tired, and then used his famous speed to lightly tap his opponent dozens of times. The opponent wasn't hurt, but Ali scored high points in accordance with the rules at that time and place.

Take away the MMA fighters' kicking and grappling skills, and their boxing skills suddenly become second rate compared to a pure boxer.

Ask a high-ranking boxer to start kicking and grapple training for three months, and he will be at the mercy of a fighter who has honed that skill for the last ten years.

It's hard to say who was truly great, because boxing has had such a long and deep history of corruption.

I am talking real life situations and the only real life situation will be drunk people, or robbers. A controlled setting like a boxing ring or octogon aint real life but you sure can transfer those skills over to a street brawl.

markz said:
I am talking real life situations and the only real life situation will be drunk people, or robbers. A controlled setting like a boxing ring or octogon aint real life but you sure can transfer those skills over to a street brawl.

Most important thing to remember, both boxing and MMA are a sport, with rules. Thing is, we respond the way we train. If you train for a sport, you may have better reflexes, better agility and more strength than an average person, you still are limited in what you can do because all of your training comes from a restricted context. The street has no rules though.

markz said:
But the thread topic is greatest BOXERS of all time.....
Why even mention MMA ? !

But didnt Mayweather distroy MMA champ McGreggor, in Vegas. ?

I don't think Tyson is a good example of a nice person, but...in his prime he was devastating. It's all armchair quarterbacking to discuss Tyson vs Ali vs Joe Louis, etc...

Hillhater said:
But didnt Mayweather distroy MMA champ McGreggor, in Vegas. ?

Let's see mayweather give it to McGregor in the octagon without queensbury rules the fact he stood toe to toe with the best in weight class is no easy feat.

McGregor was picked for his style of fighting, a ground and pound expert would not stand a chance fist to fist, mayweather outside the rules will take a beasting even if he had stepped up the weight ranks he would have come undone fast so he stayed small like a baby, drop him in with Tyson in his prime only one way that's going.

Few love taps from mayweather to Tyson then he lines him up and drops one on him so hard it's like a clap of thunder and he drops like Apollo creed for his last few wriggles on the floor.

So you are sayinf Mayweather wasnt even the best boxer to pitch against McGreggor !
I suspect if you put a prime condition Tyson in with any MMA opponent ,..Tyson would have taken it...
....in any shaped ring, or back street, any rules !

FYI
Joe Rogan's podcast had two Canadians on, Russel Peters (a Canadian, east indian comedian whom speaks fluent english and was born in Toronto Canada) and Lennox Lewis, a soft spoken ex heavy weight boxer....champion of the woooooooooorld...... whom has long since retired, shaved his head and is a clean cut square now.

So my vote, simply because he's Canadian.... eh is Lennox Lewis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdKgBatTe_E

Hillhater said:
So you are sayinf Mayweather wasnt even the best boxer to pitch against McGreggor !
I suspect if you put a prime condition Tyson in with any MMA opponent ,..Tyson would have taken it...
....in any shaped ring, or back street, any rules !

Mayweather and McGregor was a good match up but if it was on the other foot in MMA with the same amount of time to prepare then it would have taken a different route no doubt.

Tyson was a monster in his prime the real deal but there's some real serious folk out there that would have stopped him easily in a no rules fight. Say he had bite mariuz pudzianowski ear I think he would have collapsed tysons face in, evander holyfield had his number and if that was no cameras he would have opened Tyson up bad as he was clearly in control.

Tyson just cheated in the clintch truly unprofessional and non sportsman like really he is a horrible rapest that is a product of his youth any change in that gangsta wannabe excuse of man is because he is a weak shadow of himself.

Ianhill said:
cheated unprofessional and non sportsman

Lots have cheated over the years in boxing, taking the matting out of their gloves, putting hard objects in their gloves. Some people have been permanently disabled. Do any of that jazz out of the ring, they'd be in jail.

The best boxer of all time is Rocky Marciano - the only heavyweight boxer with a title who has never been defeated in a professional ring in 49 fights. :thumb:

Back