110V AC e-bike

Stipan

1 µW
Good morning to everyone .
Anyone tried to build e-bike with 110V AC power drill motor ?
My idea is to use 12V batteries , solar power inverter 12V DC to 110V AC and 110V AC motor from dismantled power drill . Motor is 800w / 900 rpm . That will be mid-drive .
Anyone have experience or advise about that ?
Many thanks , kind regards ,
Stipan :)

If it's cheap or free, why not? You could even run your bike in circles on a really long extension cord.

Note that the duty cycle of even a professional grade drill is much less than that of a traction motor. So you might wear the gearmotor out quickly. No big deal if it's cheap or free, and you didn't spend too much blood/sweat/tears on the conversion.

Stipan said:
My idea is to use 12V batteries , solar power inverter 12V DC to 110V AC and 110V AC motor from dismantled power drill . Motor is 800w / 900 rpm . That will be mid-drive
A few notes:

Going from 12V to 120V back to some intermediate voltage is wasteful. Use a higher voltage battery. If you have access to a rechargeable battery drill they are much closer to the right voltage range and you can run them directly from battery. Also as noted they are low duty cycle and will likely not last more than ten hours or so.

There used to be a video on YT of a guy who made a E-bike with a 12v car battery a 2000w inverter and a Milwaukee hole hawg drill

all three of these components weigh a ton! So this will be heavy, but have insanely dangerous torque depending on gearing, this drill also has a high low speed no variable speed
s-l300.jpg

Some of the AC Drill motors could actually be universal motors which run on DC Equally well, and sometimes with higher torque.

Upload pictures of what you have got

A treadmill motor is probably easier to make into a bike motor. People have used them before. A dc-dc converter would be somewhat more efficient than using a 12v inverter. The closer the battery voltage is to the motor voltage the more efficient the converter can be.

All of the ones I've had from various designs of treadmill were actually permanent-magnet brushed motors.

I used one of them on powered by 36v of lead batteries on the first version of CrazyBike2, but due to the multiple-reduction-stages needed (pretty high speed motors) I swapped it out for a powerchair motor with built-in reduction gearbox before I got to the road-testing stage. I'm sure it would've worked fine...I just didn't want the extra complexity on there, as it was already too complex and large. :)

Most of the motors in AC powertools are universal brushed motors, so they'll work on DC of sufficient voltage, too.

THe catch is most of them are meant for short duty cycles, so just a few seconds to a minute or two at a time, then set aside while you do other work, then used again, etc., so they can overheat in continuous use and burn out.

Regarding drill powered bikes, there have been a few successful battery-powered-drill builds, usually going thru the bike's regular pedal drivetrain like other middrives.

But an extra reduction stage is needed, because the drills are high speed to get the power needed, and without the reduction they can easily overheat and burn up.

The reduction gears in the drill itself may burn out or fail, or the clutch in it (for those that are adjustable torque to not break screws off or strip their heads).

I often misuse tools because I don't have the right one for what I need, or I'm too lazy to go get the right one out of hte shed. :oops: I've found that for whatever reason that if you use a drill for things that don't thrust along it's axis (but instead put a side-load on it), the bearings fail in them much much faster than normal.

People have also used successfully used circular saws, both AC and battery powered units.

It is easier to just find an alternator or buy one from the junk yard, buy a sensorless controller (click on this for the link)
then buy yourself a throttle from the same website, and have fun!

Drills, Circular Saws, Treadmill motors, Alternators, Mobility chair scooter motors
https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/mobility/mobility-categories/mobilitymotor
cheesy motors like these, I dont really know the term for them, but its always the "MY" followed by some numbers.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=MY1016+&_sacat=0
RC Motors can be used

You could even use multiple drills on a single chain.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22914&p=333932&hilit=saw+motor#p333932

Cheap inverters that convert 12V DC into 110V AC lose about 30% of the watts in the conversion process. More expensive inverters are more efficient, but it sounds like you are trying to save money by using devices you already have.

markz said:
It is easier to just find an alternator or buy one from the junk yard, buy a sensorless controller (click on this for the link)
then buy yourself a throttle from the same website, and have fun!

markz, I have a few car alternators from the Denso company so if a Brushless Controller and throttle is all that's needed to turn them into motors, I am really interested.

How would that work though? The car alternators are hooked to rectifier bridges and an AVR circuit and I am expecting to remove them if we use them as motors.

Are there guides you like that talk more about this topic?

LadyN said:

It is posted all over the interweb and the youtube website, you are correct in that you take off the rectifier and bring it right down to the windings whether it be 4 or 3 of them, delta or wye wound. The key is to buy a SENSORLESS controller and to "excite" alternator with a second ~10V battery. Then you can use whatever battery you require for the SENSORLESS controller, and figure out how to mount the motor, mount the gear on the motor, mount the gear on the wheel, chain it up and get the power to the wheel. The gasser bicycles have the gear mount for the spoked wheel.

LadyN said:
Here on ES there are a number of threads about their use, not all apply to all uses / builds, so you might have to poke thru them and pick what you need.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=alternator&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

As noted above, there's also lots of other pages on the internet about conversions; "Convert Alternator to Motor" will probably bring up more than you can use. :) If it's not enough, just reducing to "Alternator Motor" will likely bring up more.

Back