Sweat "Wicking" to keep dry

markz

100 TW
I tend to sweat, most everything I have is 100% cotton and I've noticed I do sweat a lot so been reading up on the different fabrics.

No one really mentions a good cotton/polyester ratio to have because the cotton brings breathability to a garment, while polyester brings the sweat wicking capability. All my sweat is atop the shoulders, the top of the back and the top of the chest.

I have found T-shirts with
100% Polyester
60% Cotton and 40% Polyester
50% Cotton and 50% Polyester
100% Cotton

and sometimes they splash in a 5% of something else, Nylon for Durability and Spandex for Flexibility.

100% Polyester T-shirt to get the sweat wicked away from the skin, then a light cotton hoody to absorb and hold the sweat, then a thicker hoody for warmth and a coat for even more warmth. Would that area be able to breath with 100% poly right on the skin.

Today its my regular all Cotton shirt, with a 100% poly 2nd layer, 60cotton/40poly semi heavy hoody, winter coat..... still sweated. I noticed the 2nd layer 100% poly, long sleeve so it was touching my arms, they were wet and they dried quickly.

I should drench myself in antiperspirant spray, because nothing seems to be working.

Merino wool base layer? Warm when wet, but quick drying and resists odour.

I sweat heavily when it's hot (most of the time where I live). This year I'm going to try giving up alcohol and coffee when it turns hot, as a measure against hyperthermia and excessive sweating. Those two substances seem to have as much effect as the heat on how sweaty I become.

I wear normal 100% cotton t-shirts and bib overalls most of the year, but in the dog days I wear cotton shorts instead of overalls, and tank tops when it's particularly brutal. There's only so much you can do when the ambient temperature goes over 100F/40C.

One of my workplaces just moved to a building that has air conditioning, which is going to be awesome.

Back