What type of plastic XT60 and EC5?

markz said:
Most likely Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene

Reading your answer I was like wow that is some fancy stuff, then I realized ABS is a short for what you just wrote :D
Doesn't it have to be something that can withstand heat better?

As far as I know they're made of heat resistant nylon.
If your soldering temperature is too high and you leave the iron on it too long it'll still melt though (a tiny bit usually so the contacts aren't held in place tightly anymore and can rotate)

Just tested an XT90 I had lying around. It's definitely nylon. (My day job is Plastics Engineering) Melting point is around 475°F. ABS melts around 360°F. But you can still melt nylon with a soldering iron, which normally runs around 700.

If you are soldering onto an XT60 and the pins start to sag out of alignment, here are some tips.

Use a big enough soldering iron so the entire soldering job can be done quickly. I use a 100W soldering iron with a fat chisel tip, which provides lots of thermal mass, so the iron doesn't cool down as soon as it touches the subject.

Insert the male and female connectors together, and don't separate them until the soldering is done and the plastic has cooled down.

spinningmagnets said:
If you are soldering onto an XT60 and the pins start to sag out of alignment, here are some tips.

Use a big enough soldering iron so the entire soldering job can be done quickly. I use a 100W soldering iron with a fat chisel tip, which provides lots of thermal mass, so the iron doesn't cool down as soon as it touches the subject.

Insert the male and female connectors together, and don't separate them until the soldering is done and the plastic has cooled down.

+1

You're talking about the quality units. I got a bag of cheapo's off ebay that were off color, didn't fit my others very well, and caused me to use a better soldering method to reduce heat, as they would melt easy.

Back