Electric Motorcycle Parts Help!

General Discussion about large electric scooters and motorcycles and other things with no pedals.

Electric Motorcycle Parts Help!

Postby Sym » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi, I've been wanting to build an electric motorcycle for most of my life and I finally have the money to do it. I want to convert a cafe racer style bike to electric. I've decided to go in the range of 48-72v and a top speed of 50 or around there. I've decided to use SLA's for cost and ease of use, but I need to decide what motor type to use. I've heard that brushed motors need maintenance, brushless motors provide good torque and permanent magnet motors are very good all around. So which one? I only weight around 120 so weight shouldn't be much of an issue. https://www.homepower.com/articles/vehicles/project-profiles/electric-motorcycle-diy-primer/page/0/1?v=print I would like the battery setup to be similar to this to save space.

So far, I've decided on the Motenergy ME0709 PMDC Motor but if I were to chose that, what controller should I use? And once I figure out what my battery setup is, what charger should I use?

I've read so many guides and watched so many videos but every single one has a different setup, with different batteries and different types of motors. I just need help figuring out which setup is the best for the price and my uses.

I also need help figuring out what size of sla to use and how many to fit in to get around 15 miles of range minimum. Again, to see what my goal is, scroll through the pictures on that homepower link to see what I'm looking for.

Thank you!

The bike style I want to use
Sym
1 mW
1 mW

Re: Electric Motorcycle Parts Help!

Postby John in CR » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Don't waste time with the lead batts. Lead is dead.
John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Re: Electric Motorcycle Parts Help!

Postby marcexec » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 am

Check out some other builds on EV album: http://evalbum.com/type/MTCY.
And please, no lead. AESC / Nissan LEAF modules are plentiful, other OEM's might fit even better. 18650 if you have too much time on your hands ;).
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
My Suzuki RF400 build: now with Enertrac MHM602 and 6kWh AESC modules protected by a Zephyr BMS
Renault Equation modded to 10S6P recycled laptop 18650s & 1kW controller.
Master of Electric Motor Selection: "Adopt a motor" (PM me if you have trouble editing)
All the gear, all the time!
marcexec
1 kW
1 kW

Return to E-Scooter and Motorcycle General Discussion