Gas Gas Trials bike conversion

I'm not getting much time to work on it, but I've just about finished the battery box. My temporary motor mount needs replacing with something a little more sturdy as it moves a little.

I've turned off throttle smoothing and its move lively.
Short test video: https://www.facebook.com/groups/electricmotorcyclebuilds/permalink/1249247031879332/

Nice work so far. After all the work I’ve gone converting my son’s Oset 16 to lips with a new Kelly controller. I’m keeping an eye out for a cheap gasgas chassis for a similar project. It would be nice to have an electric bike. Even my quiet 4RT isn’t so quiet when riding in the yard.

Not a clue at the moment. Not changed anything since it worked, it's a shame really. I've finished my battery box and a proper motor mount, just went to test it before tidying up the wiring and the controller is throwing throttle error and hall sensor error. I'm going to test both this weekend.

Looks like I might have a hall sensor issue. I wasn't getting 5v on any of the outputs when rotated. I popped the back off the motor and one of the sensors was too hot to touch. Not sure why I didn't get a reading from the other 2. Hopefully when my replacements arrive and I've soldered them in place it should be good again.

Looks like one has failed to dead short and when connected there's a voltage drop that renders the others inoperable, should be a straight swap hopefully if there's 5v on the line with halls unplugged.

I've found what's killed my halls.
the loose bit of magnet.

Bad news is I don't get 5v on any 5v lines of the controller and one of the RTN connections isn't connected to the rest like the manual states.

Struggling with communication with Eastgem but Kelly have been responsive and have asked that I return it for testing/repair.

With the cost of posting back to China and I'm not sure what will happen with customs etc I'm tempted to take it to an electronics repair shop instead or try powering from external 5v.

Are they ferrite or neo they look like ferrite in the pic with the way it's chipped what a way to go must have shorted the halls and done the controller 5v surely it be a fused output or a resistor that takes the hit.
I'd be tamping fella that's a lot of cash to take you up and down the road a few times gutted for you.

I've no idea about the magnet nor what's dead inside. Properly gutted as I was thinking I'd be riding it now, I only had a few little bits to tidy up. Still not sorted with bulk charging, but I was itching to get it out and could live with splitting the pack for now.

I've read the Kelly controllers are full of some brown sticky stuff so it might be difficult getting someone in the UK to repair it. Eastgem are sending a new hall sensor and magnet though. I've not popped the lid of the controller, but unless it was obvious what had blown up, I wouldn't know what I was looking for :)

Eastgem should pay for the magnet to be fitted and the controller repaired, once those items are opened by a non trained person they don't have to honour anything so really they should give money on top for your time spent sorting their bad quality control that's cost you more than them but no manufacturer seems to give a toss these days about making something decent.

I'd pop the Controller open and have a look for any small burnt components it's got to be worth a punt your balls deep in it now anyway so what's the harm.

They had me pop the back off the motor while talking to them on Facebook. If they we're a UK company I'd be expecting more help, but my expectations are low dealing with them. I'm just itching to get out on with my lad on his Oset now it's the holidays.

I think I've found the offending component(s) not sure what they are, but maybe Kelly will just send me the daughter board or I can get an electronics repair place to replace them?

One of the little black things next to the capacitor.

Good news, I put new halls in the for the motor and applied an external 5v and the motor spins. Bad news is it's at a fixed speed so either I've also blown the halls in the throttle or I've buggered up some settings.

Test between ground and signal on the hall it should fluctuate around 0.9v to 4.1v when throttle is twisted.
I can not see the controller being stuck at a certain frequency so this should be easy fix fingers crossed for you.

Motors running again now, with an external 5v. Hopeful get it all back together tomorrow. Eastgem are apparently sending a new magnet, but I think it might be wise to try source some myself.

At least now it's not such a black box any more and I've learned a bit about linear and bipolar hall sensors.

Here's the current state. It's getting there.

It's running well and I'm pleased with it. I want to lower the motor a little, tidy up the wiring and I've yet to sort out anything in regards to bulk charging.

bigpie said:
It's running well and I'm pleased with it. I want to lower the motor a little, tidy up the wiring and I've yet to sort out anything in regards to bulk charging.

thanks for the update, im very curious because im in a process building an old scorpa,
i had to cut some of the frame to fit a larger battery and now im in the process welding for securing the motor and the battery to the frame

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 1,899
You got a build thread? I'd be interested in following your progress.

Please do. I'd be interested in what motor, controller and cells you're using. Along with reduction ratio.

why did you lower your motor , wasn't this aligned with the chain already ?

i will use 428chain , 11t front 64 t rear
motor is a chinese 1200w 60v 0.35mm 60rotor ( star widing - bad sinewave, more like square
controller kelly kbs7218e ( 110ah continuos / 200 peak - phase amps )
42ah 240 cells samsung 3450mah ( 10a)

Back