Rewinding 2 motors into a single motor case?

VietJr

10 mW
Hello Endless Sphere Community,

I'm a team captain of Zeus, an electric motorcycle racing team at the University of Calgary, and I wanted to know your thoughts on a potential project that my team might pursue in the future and any relevant experiences anyone might've had with a similar project.

The project would be taking two 75-7 Zero motors and consolidating them into a single 75-14 motor, so instead of running twin motors to double power output, we would try to avoid dealing with the position mapping and synchronization issues by turning them into 1 bigger motor.

I have nearly no experience regarding this particular subject, but from what I gathered, I would have to do something along the lines of:

1. Take the motors apart
2. Cut the stators out of the cases, remove the copper windings
3. Pull the rotors off the shafts
4. Build a new stator case to fit a 14cm long stator
5. Built a new shaft to fit a new 14cm long rotor
6. Put the rotors on to the new shaft
7. Put the stator laminations into the new stator case
8. Wind the stator with new coils
9. Reassemble motor

If anyone has done something similar, please share your experiences, what problems you encountered, solutions to said problems, how the motor performed afterwards etc. Or if you have any thoughts at all I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Thank you very much!

As for running dual motor setup in regards to synchronization issues I don't think I ever read any posts here indicating synchronization being an issue. Seems to work itself out just fine with all build threads I've followed on dual motor builds here.

But hey, if you the time and stamina to do a rebuild to 75-14 by all means that would be cool to see. You might also find that a single "long" motor is more appealing due to real estate restrictions.

Back