NEW QS 165 MOTOR

General Discussion about large electric scooters and motorcycles and other things with no pedals.
User avatar
owhite   100 W

100 W
Posts: 239
Joined: Aug 03 2020 11:22am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by owhite » May 31 2022 9:22am

Thank you for the video!

So it looks like the goal is to align triggering of the hall sensor with the peak of the current produced by the rotor magnet?

A screen capture of your video here:

Image

larsb   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2623
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by larsb » May 31 2022 11:47am

No, the hall switch shall be at the zero crossing point.

User avatar
owhite   100 W

100 W
Posts: 239
Joined: Aug 03 2020 11:22am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by owhite » May 31 2022 7:34pm

what do you mean by the term "zero crossing point", and is that what's shown in the image?

larsb   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2623
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by larsb » Jun 01 2022 8:10am

My understanding is that hall switch shall occur when the bemf crosses voltage zero axis

Like this pic:
0D14225D-B858-4744-8ABE-E1D11FAC8178.jpeg
0D14225D-B858-4744-8ABE-E1D11FAC8178.jpeg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 674 times
And this:
02B1E90D-65E4-4C69-9959-9CDF4414FEA0.jpeg
02B1E90D-65E4-4C69-9959-9CDF4414FEA0.jpeg (126.22 KiB) Viewed 671 times

User avatar
illegalbike   10 W

10 W
Posts: 93
Joined: Jan 28 2021 12:10pm
Contact:

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by illegalbike » Jun 01 2022 12:15pm

Indeed, an error was made at the time of recording the video, here and in the comments above the correct position of the sensor signals relative to the back-EMF
sensors.jpg
sensors.jpg (74.89 KiB) Viewed 653 times

Smita   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Jun 07 2022 3:50am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by Smita » Jun 07 2022 4:04am

Thank you for the videos and the details. Can you help me with the magnet size & back emf value of this modified QS motor?
Can you tell me the magnet length and thickness ?

User avatar
illegalbike   10 W

10 W
Posts: 93
Joined: Jan 28 2021 12:10pm
Contact:

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by illegalbike » Jun 07 2022 11:05am

Smita wrote:
Jun 07 2022 4:04am
Thank you for the videos and the details. Can you help me with the magnet size & back emf value of this modified QS motor?
Can you tell me the magnet length and thickness ?
there is a lot of information in this message:
...needed 14 5x3 mm magnets and three Honeywell SS41 sensors...

cka3o4nuk   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 23 2020 5:39am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by cka3o4nuk » Jun 22 2022 12:37am

Hi guys
building new project and thinking about 1 stage gear reduction with qs165 motor (to make it as quet as possible)
7 to 1 reduction
i see at least 3 ways


219 chain and composite sproket
35 chain and custom sprockets
htd 5m belt 25mm but cant find long belts reinforced standart only

any sugestions ?

larsb   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2623
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by larsb » Jun 22 2022 9:26am

With 7:1 i’d go with 219 chain if it’s for off road mainly or 8M belt for road use. 219 chain will make some noise so i’m not sure you reach your goal anyway but for off road there will be other noise to drown it in.

Reasoning behind is that i don’t think #35 chain will take the abuse (maybe there are higher quality ones..) and neither will 5M belt, especially if it will be off road. Gravel and rocks jamming will damage the belts so i don’t think belt drive has a place off road.

BigBlock   100 W

100 W
Posts: 107
Joined: Jun 03 2021 11:37am
Location: Italy

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by BigBlock » Jun 22 2022 11:40am

I would go with 8M belt. Is your bike for road or off-road ? Total weight ?
LIFE IS A DIY PROJECT - MAKE IT ELECTRIFIED !!
-----------
eXtremo - Dual Motor eScooter
xKillah
- Enduro eBike

cka3o4nuk   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 23 2020 5:39am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by cka3o4nuk » Jun 25 2022 8:56am

larsb wrote:
Jun 22 2022 9:26am
With 7:1 i’d go with 219 chain if it’s for off road mainly or 8M belt for road use. 219 chain will make some noise so i’m not sure you reach your goal anyway but for off road there will be other noise to drown it in.

Reasoning behind is that i don’t think #35 chain will take the abuse (maybe there are higher quality ones..) and neither will 5M belt, especially if it will be off road. Gravel and rocks jamming will damage the belts so i don’t think belt drive has a place off road.
35 chain must be stronger than 219
and of course it must be high quality one
thinking about connex another name or 35 size is 06b (same pitch and size 9.525mm)

cka3o4nuk   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 23 2020 5:39am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by cka3o4nuk » Jun 25 2022 8:56am

BigBlock wrote:
Jun 22 2022 11:40am
I would go with 8M belt. Is your bike for road or off-road ? Total weight ?
8mm belt is no has no chanse because of the size of rear pulley

larsb   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2623
Joined: Dec 10 2014 5:12am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by larsb » Jun 25 2022 3:25pm

Why? 219 chain pitch is very close to 8mm, in fact a pulley with same teeth count will only have 0.3% larger diameter than a 219 sprocket and compared to a 35 chain it will be 0.4% smaller.

cka3o4nuk   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 23 2020 5:39am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by cka3o4nuk » Jun 26 2022 1:19am

larsb wrote:
Jun 25 2022 3:25pm
Why? 219 chain pitch is very close to 8mm, in fact a pulley with same teeth count will only have 0.3% larger diameter than a 219 sprocket and compared to a 35 chain it will be 0.4% smaller.
35 chain is 9.5 not 8)

Legend_XC4   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Jun 26 2022 3:27am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by Legend_XC4 » Jun 26 2022 3:31am

Hello I have just installed a qs165 hall engine on a sur-ron. Performance is pretty bad at the moment, power and speed are limited. I use the nd72530 controller which is very powerful and very efficient with the original sur-ron motor. Have you tried the engine while driving? can you say if it is more efficient than the sur-ron engine? a friend with the encoder version also notices the same problems

User avatar
owhite   100 W

100 W
Posts: 239
Joined: Aug 03 2020 11:22am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by owhite » Jun 26 2022 1:33pm

Legend_XC4 wrote:
Jun 26 2022 3:31am
Hello I have just installed a qs165 hall engine on a sur-ron. Performance is pretty bad at the moment, power and speed are limited. I use the nd72530 controller which is very powerful and very efficient with the original sur-ron motor. Have you tried the engine while driving? can you say if it is more efficient than the sur-ron engine? a friend with the encoder version also notices the same problems
I may not have any suggestions for you. IllegalBike is probably the first person on this thread to start using the QS165. I have one, but am still building my bike. But I have a question. What do you mean by "hall engine"? Did you obtain a QS165 with hall sensors? Until now I thought they only have ABI encoders.

User avatar
owhite   100 W

100 W
Posts: 239
Joined: Aug 03 2020 11:22am

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by owhite » Jul 03 2022 8:08pm

Image

My current build. Steel frame. Expected weight: 40kgs. I'm using the surron style design, HTD 8M primary belt to 420 chain, so keeping the original sprocket on the QS165. Plan is to try for 18s, with three 16AH lipo packs.

If you look at the design, parts in purple are 6.35mm and were lasercut at sendcutsend. The rectangular tubing is 1x.5 inches. Bearing holders were CNC milled at PCBWay. I got a laser in my shop that cut all remaining 1.6mm thick parts.

A pic of the build table; TIG welded.


User avatar
eee291   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1180
Joined: Nov 05 2015 4:35pm
Location: Austria, Burgenland

Re: NEW QS 165 MOTOR

Post by eee291 » Jul 05 2022 3:40pm

Nope, if you look in the description and click on the recommended controller it links to here:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004336040974.html
ND72330B Encoder version

Post Reply