My scooter wont run during or after rain

Maybe someone can help me with this if they have had similar problems.

If i am riding the scooter in dry weather and it starts to rain a lot then after some time it feels like the power to the motor is turn off and on quickly like a loose connection (seems like the motor brake is activated) and it gets worse and worse.
It can help a bit if i lift up the scooter back end and drop it hard but the problem comes back.
Then after riding like this for a while the motor will not run at all.
And if i try to push the scooter while the scooter is turned on it it will active the motor brake if i push it faster then 7 km/h.
It seems like it might be something to do with motor brake like when you brake or the side stand is out which activate motor brake.

If i have not been riding the scooter and it have been standing still during rain it might also refuse to run the motor if i try to ride it just after a lot of rain.

If the scooter wont run i just have to wait some time in dry weather and then it will run again without doing anything.

The controller is LBMC048122HK2-M6. Pictures: https://scootergrisen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3607
I think the controller blinks 9 times when this happens but the manual i have found does not have information on this number of blinks.

Pictures of the scooter: https://scootergrisen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3587

I am guessing it might be water or moisture that enters the motor or controller.

Connection issue for halls and or phases most likely. Take apart connectors, clean, prepare for future rain with waterproofing and / or dielectric grease.

Do your brake levers have a small switch on them that cut power to the motor when you squeeze the brake levers? My scooter's brake switches would let water get inside them thus creating a short, and it would cut power to the motor as if the brakes were applied.

If i activate the brake switches or sidestand switch the brake light will come on.
But the brake light does not come on when this problem with rain happens.
So i dont think it can be the brake switches or sidestand switch.

Fill every connector and open space inside brake levers and throttle with dielectric grease. This will prevent water from getting to the contacts and shorting anything.

If it still happens, then the problem is either water leaking into the motor itself or the controller or some other electronics unit, or the wire cables somewhere along their length has a defect in insulation allowing water inside to short things.

There's a number of threads and posts about waterproofing, rainproofing, and weatherproofing, if you look around the forum, with more details.

Maybe this is what is needed.
Seems like they only disassembled/assembled the motor to put that liquid sealeant on whatever it is.
Do anyone know what is used to seal the motor?
The stuff he is scrabing off seems like it might be silicone.
Are they not damaging the bearing during disassembly?
Maybe its not possible to dissemble the motor without damaging the bearings?
Maybe i could just try and seal it from the outside and see if it helps so i dont have to take the motor off.
[youtube]xsan8qyb3b8[/youtube]

scootergrisen said:
Do anyone know what is used to seal the motor?
Silicone is common, but you can't completley seal a hubmotor. Water gets in thru the wires, axle bearings, etc. If it's sealed up, then this water *stays* in there, and corrodes things.

Go to http://ebikes.ca and look thru the blog for the water vs motors video, to see all the testing about this.

You're much better off adding a small vent hole to the motor at the outer circumference of the side cover, right where it meets up with the magnets, so that any water that does get in can get back out.

Either way, it's unlikely to be your motor. It's almost always water in connectors.

Instead of making guesses about what you think it is, or is not, let's get some absolutely definitive information.

First, the motor braking function certainly seems to be activated. That eliminates several possibilities, and points to a couple that should be first on the list.

You have two switches that activate the motor braking function. Remove them from the equation, not with guesswork about secondary functions, but with absolute certainty. Disconnect them, best if you first determine how to do this, then wait till the problem occurs again and eliminate them absolutely positively as a possible source of the problem. Take a bit of plastic wrap with you to enclose the connectors which lead back to the controller in order to prevent re-creating the problem at a different location.

You will need to operate a bit more carefully during this test. But, it will provide answers with certainty and not guesswork. Answers will happen in seconds.

Also, a note on waterproofing I read here some time ago. " Remember, that everything you do, to keep water OUT, will also act to keep water IN. Therefore, unless your waterproofing efforts are ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, and they will not be, you may actually be making the problem worse, rather than better." I was also astonished to learn that a small amount of water inside the motor is not actually a major problem, electrically speaking, mainly in terms of corrosion and water-borne grit over the long-term.

scootergrisen said:
I cant find any water vs motor video.
https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/videos.html
down in the "old presentations"

The same problem with 9 blinks happened on my other identical components that have been stored inside.
So its not just rain/water.
I did rain at night but its so hot now so could that amount of moisture really do something.
I guess its a loose connection.
And that rain might help the problem appear.
I turned the axel on the motor when the problem was there and it went like:
motor brake/loose/motor brake/loose/motor brake/loose maybe it would total about 16 times motor brake/loose cycle for a full turn of the axel.
Then i try to move the components/harness around and the problem goes away. Controller stops blinking.

The connection for the blue wire in the hall sensor connector is deeper inside the connect then the others.
So that might be part of the problem.
If i insert the connector on the controller but not all the way in the motor only wants to run if the axel is turned at certain angles.
Buts its not exactly the same problem and the motor does not brake and the controller does not blink 9 times.
vga_vax_2019_motor_61.jpg

For what it's worth.

Unrelated, but the link to the Danish forum the OP posted to is full of information about all brands and makes of scooters. In particular, lots of documentation here: https://scootergrisen.org/scooterhjemmeside/download.php. Someone has done a lot of work. Bravo.

Michael

Back