Storm Bee electric dirt bike

General Discussion about large electric scooters and motorcycles and other things with no pedals.
User avatar
motomoto   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 453
Joined: Jun 28 2010 8:22pm

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by motomoto » Sep 20 2019 11:13pm

Here is an updated EVnerd post on the Storm.

https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e ... -revealed/

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6973
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by Rix » Sep 20 2019 11:29pm

Very nice

xboxice   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 04 2019 1:25am

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by xboxice » Sep 22 2019 4:06am

Im super keen :)

dirkdiggler   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 624
Joined: Oct 18 2012 1:31am

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by dirkdiggler » Sep 22 2019 3:55pm

Another article with more pictures.
https://electrek.co/2019/09/22/first-lo ... otorcycle/

User avatar
bigbore   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 537
Joined: Sep 25 2009 7:43am
Location: Italy

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by bigbore » Sep 23 2019 12:41pm

I love some of the stuff I read because sounds like DIY oriented.
It sounds like a 26S16P 96V battery made with 416 Sony VTC6 that at 22Kw deliver around 230A and 14A/cell.

User avatar
efMX Trials Electric Freeride   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1742
Joined: Feb 15 2013 4:43pm

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Sep 30 2019 12:32pm

some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

wuhaichao443   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 27
Joined: Apr 22 2019 5:05am

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by wuhaichao443 » Oct 15 2019 5:56am

Some updates on Storm bee. http://bbs.sur-ron.com/#/t/192
Attachments
1571107276649_kfzHAMdRrmryHXg - 副本.jpg
1571107276649_kfzHAMdRrmryHXg - 副本.jpg (187.88 KiB) Viewed 3613 times

User avatar
bigbore   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 537
Joined: Sep 25 2009 7:43am
Location: Italy

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by bigbore » Nov 11 2019 3:20pm

Last week I saw this e-motorcycle in person at EICMA. It feels very good and ready for some off road abuse. The only thing I do not like is the fact that the street legal version will be equipped with smaller rims. We should let Sur Ron know that we want the same rims as the MX on the street legal version.
20191107_151720.jpg
20191107_151720.jpg (462.71 KiB) Viewed 3383 times

User avatar
efMX Trials Electric Freeride   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1742
Joined: Feb 15 2013 4:43pm

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Nov 11 2019 10:41pm

bigbore wrote:
Nov 11 2019 3:20pm
Last week I saw this e-motorcycle in person at EICMA. It feels very good and ready for some off road abuse. The only thing I do not like is the fact that the street legal version will be equipped with smaller rims. We should let Sur Ron know that we want the same rims as the MX on the street legal version.
20191107_151720.jpg
why would you want large diameter wheels for a street bike?? you can always change the wheels aftermarket..
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 680
Joined: Oct 22 2018 12:43pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by Grantmac » Nov 11 2019 10:51pm

Until they release prices and availability it's hard to be enthusiastic.

User avatar
efMX Trials Electric Freeride   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1742
Joined: Feb 15 2013 4:43pm

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Nov 11 2019 11:00pm

"Price is unknown but going by some dealer websites the bike is expected to cost around £8,000 on the UK market.."
stagmotorcycles.co.uk/pages/sur-ron-storm
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

User avatar
DanGT86   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 884
Joined: Sep 06 2012 9:18pm
Location: Saint Louis MO

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by DanGT86 » Nov 11 2019 11:14pm

I think most riders prefer smaller wheels on the road.

I rode a 21" and 19" setup on a my friends dirtbike with street tires and the 21" front tire felt pretty bad at most road speeds. It really resisted turning like a giant gyroscope.

The trick is being able to afford both sets of wheels and tires so you can ride anywhere. :D

boars   100 W

100 W
Posts: 151
Joined: Oct 02 2014 12:06am
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by boars » Nov 12 2019 2:37am

£8,000 seems a bit higher than I'd hoped.

Could be a cool stop-gap commuter if it does hit Australian shores - next year might actually produce some options for me to actually consider. Good stuff.

User avatar
bigbore   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 537
Joined: Sep 25 2009 7:43am
Location: Italy

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by bigbore » Nov 12 2019 3:52pm

efMX Trials Electric Freeride wrote:
Nov 11 2019 10:41pm
bigbore wrote:
Nov 11 2019 3:20pm
Last week I saw this e-motorcycle in person at EICMA. It feels very good and ready for some off road abuse. The only thing I do not like is the fact that the street legal version will be equipped with smaller rims. We should let Sur Ron know that we want the same rims as the MX on the street legal version.
20191107_151720.jpg
why would you want large diameter wheels for a street bike?? you can always change the wheels aftermarket..
For me it would be an enduro motorbike and the license plate would only be necessary to go from my home to the off road trails. In the past I owned a Suzuki DR350 and used it in off-road, now I have a Honda VTR 1000F and on the paved road is the best bike I've ever had.
Last edited by bigbore on Nov 12 2019 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bigbore   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 537
Joined: Sep 25 2009 7:43am
Location: Italy

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by bigbore » Nov 12 2019 3:55pm

Grantmac wrote:
Nov 11 2019 10:51pm
Until they release prices and availability it's hard to be enthusiastic.
The guy in the orange shirt in my picture said the MX will be sold for $ 7k

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 680
Joined: Oct 22 2018 12:43pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by Grantmac » Nov 12 2019 5:56pm

bigbore wrote:
Nov 12 2019 3:55pm
Grantmac wrote:
Nov 11 2019 10:51pm
Until they release prices and availability it's hard to be enthusiastic.
The guy in the orange shirt in my picture said the MX will be sold for $ 7k
In my opinion thats too expensive for the specs, maybe 5.5-6k would be closer to correct. I think this will be a very competitive market segment and anything coming out of China will need to be priced significantly lower than a Japanese or European bike.

User avatar
sn0wchyld   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1794
Joined: Mar 18 2011 8:27pm
Location: South Aus.

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by sn0wchyld » Nov 12 2019 9:52pm

Grantmac wrote:
Nov 12 2019 5:56pm
bigbore wrote:
Nov 12 2019 3:55pm
Grantmac wrote:
Nov 11 2019 10:51pm
Until they release prices and availability it's hard to be enthusiastic.
The guy in the orange shirt in my picture said the MX will be sold for $ 7k
In my opinion thats too expensive for the specs, maybe 5.5-6k would be closer to correct. I think this will be a very competitive market segment and anything coming out of China will need to be priced significantly lower than a Japanese or European bike.
agreed - the lightbee exists in a niche market - unique, small, light/agile, cheap. the strom is entering a market that is relatively mature, with several other more established players already providing good options - ie not a niche market. The stormbee is no longer unique, small, light... and possibly not even that cheap.

note, im not saying it is/will be crap by any means, just that the lightbee has several particular and very unique advantages in the market, that the stormbee will not. If / when I step up to a 'full size' bike from my lightbee, then I'll have several very promising competitors to choose form (Zero, KTM, Alta (should it ever come back as another brand), etc just to name a few), vs none (afaik) that compete directly with the lightbee, as well as the relative ease with which an ICE MX can be converted to electric.

dirkdiggler   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 624
Joined: Oct 18 2012 1:31am

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by dirkdiggler » Nov 13 2019 12:11am

I was hoping/wishing for $5-6k USD. Probably not going to happen. Can get used Alta for $7.5 which is still going for a premium for a defunct manufacturer. Wish I could have picked up a bankruptcy edition where I heard the Alta was selling for $5k. If the light bee is $3.5k at a third of the cost, I would rather just buy two of those instead of the Storm.
I really just want a more powerful light bee, with wider rear/front tires and a bit more cush suspension and seat. Added seat height so it doesn't feel like a kid's bike. The weight of the Storm bee seem to heavy. Maybe someday.

User avatar
sn0wchyld   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1794
Joined: Mar 18 2011 8:27pm
Location: South Aus.

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by sn0wchyld » Nov 13 2019 1:57am

dirkdiggler wrote:
Nov 13 2019 12:11am
I was hoping/wishing for $5-6k USD. Probably not going to happen. Can get used Alta for $7.5 which is still going for a premium for a defunct manufacturer. Wish I could have picked up a bankruptcy edition where I heard the Alta was selling for $5k. If the light bee is $3.5k at a third of the cost, I would rather just buy two of those instead of the Storm.
I really just want a more powerful light bee, with wider rear/front tires and a bit more cush suspension and seat. Added seat height so it doesn't feel like a kid's bike. The weight of the Storm bee seem to heavy. Maybe someday.
damn I'd have got one at 5k too had i known they were that cheap! only issue I have with 'em is they're high voltage so its harder to BYO battery when the stock one goes out.

and yea i hear ya - for about 2k you can get 2-3x the power out of the surron... I hear you RE the bikeness of the lightbee but i love the nimbleness - I ride it around my back yard over small jumps etc - great fun after work. full size bike would be too cumbersome in what is essentially a 12x10m space, dotted with a few trees and plants.

Elektryczne Motocykle   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Feb 27 2012 4:59am
Location: Poland

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by Elektryczne Motocykle » Nov 15 2019 3:26am

Hello
There is a detailed video on Eco-koleso.ru Youtube channel.

Eco-Koleso seems to be a dealer and price for MX is 450 000 Rubel (7020 US Dollars)
http://eco-koleso.ru/magazin/product/el ... bee_enduro

SlowCo   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1497
Joined: Jan 05 2015 5:43pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by SlowCo » Nov 15 2019 5:18am

That seems to be the non road legal version (no lights, mirror, etc.). So the price for the street edition will likely be higher and differ for other countries due to import taxes. Hopefully it will be around €7500,- in the EU but maybe as high as €7995,-. If it's even higher then that they will suffer selling many of them.
Get a set of 17" wheels on it and it's an electric SuperMoto :twisted:

Elektryczne Motocykle   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Feb 27 2012 4:59am
Location: Poland

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by Elektryczne Motocykle » Nov 15 2019 2:52pm

StormBee battery change video.

ENNOID   100 W

100 W
Posts: 166
Joined: Dec 01 2017 3:26pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by ENNOID » Nov 15 2019 4:30pm

Looks like a very nice bike. Battery swap is a nice feature.

I will probably buy one if becomes available in Canada.
https://www.ennoid.me/

You can use my referral link to get 1,500 free Supercharger km on a new Tesla: https://ts.la/kevin88384

Open source R&D isn't free, you can help me out building next stuff by contributing:
https://www.paypal.me/kevindionne

dirkdiggler   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 624
Joined: Oct 18 2012 1:31am

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by dirkdiggler » Nov 17 2019 1:04am

:bigthumb:
Thanks for the post! $7k will be a decent price for this bike, $5k would still be better. This will be hard to ship, are they going to set up a dealer network or how they doing this?
Found this from the above post. Why do people still video in portrait, c'mon?!???

User avatar
bigbore   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 537
Joined: Sep 25 2009 7:43am
Location: Italy

Re: Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Post by bigbore » Nov 18 2019 3:36pm

Elektryczne Motocykle wrote:
Nov 15 2019 3:26am
Hello
There is a detailed video on Eco-koleso.ru Youtube channel.

Eco-Koleso seems to be a dealer and price for MX is 450 000 Rubel (7020 US Dollars)
http://eco-koleso.ru/magazin/product/el ... bee_enduro
Do you know who is that bald guy in the video?

Post Reply