Storm Bee electric dirt bike

motomoto

1 kW
I just think it is time to start a Storm Bee thread. It could be a hit.

[youtube]5KLEG_FScro[/youtube]

https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/storm-bee-electric-mx-motorcycle-is-sur-ron-milestone-product/

I can't wait to test ride one. It may be very difficult to get it licensed for the street.

Storm Bee.jpg

fechter said:
I can't wait to test ride one. It may be very difficult to get it licensed for the street.

Storm Bee.jpg
I'm curious why that could be? Seems like a great around town hooligan bike.

20kw should be good if they can keep the weight under 230#. Otherwise it's going to be a heavy play bike at best.

What I like about it is that it looks good. It's pretty, like the light bee.

The light bee could be awesome, but a $1800 72 volt battery pack and a $700 plus ASI controller doesn't fit
into many peoples' plan of action when you might hit 15 Hp with that max.

The light bee is not very licensable with it's weird VIN numbers.

The Storm Bee could be the ticket to a lot of fun on and off road, with unknown hop up potential.

I think it's too big to pass off as a moped and doesn't have a proper VIN to be registered as a motorcycle. There is probably some difficult way to register it as a home built motorcycle.

But I see several people riding Light Bees around cities with no plates or anything, so it depends on where you are and how picky the cops are.

For off road, I think it will be real hard to beat. We'll have to wait until somebody tests a real one to find out.

if you look at the super soco tc max it may not be difficult to register this sur-ron as a motorcycle

I am sometimes surprised when you see what is driving around in Europe with EU type approval / license and insurance, considering the sur-ron company really goes a step further as the average Chinese manufacturer, this should not be an issue

I've been hoping a bike like this would come to market. I find myself questioning what I would consider a reasonable price. Assuming its in the 20kw range and has 3-5kwh of battery on it would you guys pay the same price as the zero fx? I think the light be was a great value because I know the fun that can be had off-road with a light weight motorcycle/heavy ebike. At the same time It wasn't full size motorcycle money and there isn't a direct competitor.

As for the Storm Bee, I'm just not sure I have enough faith in Chinese made bikes to pay the same price as and American made Zero with Japanese made brakes and forks. Am I being unfair to Sur-Ron? Am I over crediting the quality of Zero?

So what's everyone reasonably hoping for with this bike as for Power / battery capacity / Price? Basically, whats it have to be and how much will we all be willing to pay?

If you have ever owned a Light Bee you would be thinking that this full size bike would have the same kind of value.

From the pictures it looks like they are engineering more quality stuff and probably at a great 'bang for the buck' price.

If anyone finds any new info on the bike be sure to post it here.

Just stole this off this picture off the Light Bee thread. It belongs here too. Looks sweet !!Storm.jpg

Here's a picture of the other side from the Alta forum. Says they got it from surron Facebook page.

Attachments

• 1568930002932.jpg
    1568930002932.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 6,591
motomoto said:
Just stole this off this picture off the Light Bee thread. It belongs here too. Looks sweet !!Storm.jpg

This machine looks like it will be lighter than my Alta Redshift.

It might be 20 lbs. lighter. They don't know the exact production bike weight numbers yet.

It will probably be half the power of the Alta.

Storm Bee was on display at 2019 Chongqing International Motorcycle Expo in China..
Homologated and MX versions posted but prices not yet confirmed..

118KG MX version
126KG SM version

https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/sur-ron-storm-bee-mx-and-homologated-version-revealed/

dirkdiggler said:
Here's a picture of the other side from the Alta forum. Says they got it from surron Facebook page.
Is that a gear box? Multiple speeds or gear reduction in oil bath? I would like either more than a jack shaft reduction.

Well, it's a start.

You could double the power on the Light Bee and probably this one too.

I will say this: the road legal version compares really well against a lot of 250s. They didn't have to swap the steel tank, quieter muffler, bigger battery or emissions control which usually adds a lot on the road legal version of offroad bikes.
If the components are Chinese spec then lighter bars etc should be able to drop some off.
The mass should also be very centralized due to no muffler or rads.

Definitely a bike to watch.

Grantmac said:
260# and 20kw isn't going to change any minds among serious riders, pity.

Don't underestimate the bike. I run my Alta in Map 2 about 99% of the time and it weighs 270. In Map 2, its rocking about 24-25kw and will flip you over backwards if you wack the throttle at any speed below 30MPH. Map 4 is good for about 39kw and I can't control it off road in Map 4, except on sand dunes.

Back