Bmw looks at frameless e-motorcycle design

General Discussion about large electric scooters and motorcycles and other things with no pedals.
macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Bmw looks at frameless e-motorcycle design

Post by macribs » Nov 25 2019 4:14am

Finally. Why struggle with conventional frames when making electric motorcycles? Now the battery chasing is the frame.
I really liked this. Read story here; https://electrek.co/2019/11/25/bmw-elec ... port-bike/

jonescg   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Re: Bmw looks at frameless e-motorcycle design

Post by jonescg » Nov 25 2019 9:19am

Oh the things you can do when you have your own alloy casting plant!

macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by macribs » Nov 25 2019 9:43am

Well thanks to CNC we don't need casting anymore. At least not for smaller series or for one-offs. Do the CAD work and send it to a cnc shop and bolt it all together, all you need is your imagination, some mad CAD skillz and you can have your own frameless e-bike :wink:

But I get what you're saying, with casting, the price per unit will become low as the production ramps up.
Last edited by macribs on Nov 25 2019 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

technotony007   10 mW

10 mW

Post by technotony007 » Nov 25 2019 3:40pm

looks a good concept design , especially for the mass production. :thumb:

Hope there have done there stress calcs right !

Good robust German design , but it will be BMW costly unfortunately.

wonder what market its aim at ? , as look at there last concept I seen was the BMW NEXT concept bike.... it had me guessing weres the batteries in that ?

regards

tony

macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by macribs » Nov 25 2019 6:41pm

Well depending of the material used of course my guess is that when the "battery-box" is all bolted together it might even be stiffer then a conventional frame. Shouldn't be much twisting or warping not matter what you throw at it. And the best part is, the "frame" is now all usable storage for batteries. No more building a box into a regular frame that really was designed to house an ICE engine.

When they do the build like this they should be able to draw in the motor to be in the possible position in regards to chain growth, reduction if needed etc.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Nov 26 2019 12:56am

Didn't they already do this (at least the concept) some years back?

Guess it was a scooter I was thinking of; thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29544
with mroe discussion here
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=93127

macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by macribs » Nov 26 2019 3:56am

That is the BMW C Evolution. A big electric maxi scooter.

I guess that BMW C Evo was what sparked the idea of a frameless design. But the battery box had more of a frame to it then the latest drawing of the frameless.

Here is "nude-pic" of that maxi scooter.
Look at the headtube and the bracing in front of the motor. Lost space. Also that was a BMW electric maxi scooter. And that thing is huge. And because of the frame and bracing they lost some space that could be otherwise be used for better packaging of battery and possible also a space where the bracing is mounted. It was more like they did the batterybox as a stress member of the frame like how engines are used as a stress member. The new drawings goes all in and uses all possible space.