govecs go 3.4 high current warning light

samv76

100 mW
Hi All,

I recently set my first steps into the EV-scooter world by purchasing a govecs go S2.4 moped. So far i am very pleased with it.
then I came across a bargain govecs S3.4 and i couldnt resist purchasing it.
But as often with bargains, there is a catch. And the catch is that during accelleration, the "high current" light goes on , on the display and I notice a bad vibration coming from the rear of the scooter. Its almost as if the Electric motor is shuddering.

Since i am relatively new to the world of electric vehicles , i have a very limited knowledge of how to go about and troubleshoot this kind of issues.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

regards,
sander

That type of problem could be a wrong phase/hall combo, if someone did a repair on the wiring or changed out the motor or controller, etc.

Could be an intermittent short inside the motor, like a winding with damaged insulation shorting to antoher or to the stator, etc., that only shows up during high voltage application (like full throttle), etc.

If it happens about the same even with the wheel offground, then the latter is more likely than the former.

Thx for the reply,

The problem does not occur when the wheel is of the ground. only when i am on it.

I bought the scooter used, and i have no knowledge of what has been modified in the controller settings.
I tried finding a data/spec sheet of the motor but i cant find it.
The same goes for the original DCF file for a govecs 3.4. They seem impossible to find. :oops:

If it requires a DCF file, then that means it's a Sevcon controller, which means it isn't just a simple phase/hall combination problem issue. It may not even use a 3-hall position sensor; there's other encoders more common with Sevcon systems.

But I'd still start there, because that general type of problem (position sensor reading vs actual motor position) is a common cause of too high a current for the actual load.

And I wasnt' talking about any kind of settings, I was talking about the actual physical wiring of the system, about halls vs phase.

I'd also recommend going over the entire thing to verify all connections, wiring, etc., especially stuff that is even partially exposed to the outside, visible to you just looking at the scooter, as those are more vulnerable to accidental damage or environmental issues.

Yes the Govecs 3.4 uses a sevcon gen4 size 4 controller.
I managed to get my hands on the original DCF file, so at least now i know that those settings are correct.
Next i will be focussing on the encoder allignment, but i need a scope for that. I'll have to mail the manufacturar of the motor (parker) to get the specs, as i am not sure what kind of encoder is used.

All wiring and connectors are inside the scooter. There is nothing exposed. I checked all leads and all seems fine.

encoder alighment is done with the software.

Yes, i have managed to find a thread here explaining how to setup the encoder.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88647

I have followed the steps, and the result is exactly the same as it was before. So im guessing it has been set right.
it just seems to me the offset angle is a strange number, it 0,421875 degrees.

lots of stuff still to figure out, and to expand my knowledge. Its fun stuff but pretty challenging.

samv76 said:
Its fun stuff but pretty challenging.

programming a sevcon is about as fun as juggeling razor blades.

samv76 said:
hahaha. are the Kelly controllers easier to understand and to program?

yes, all the difficult stuff has been done for you, just set basic parameters and you are done.

Hi.
I'm struggling with the excact same problem.
Govecs 1.2 with a parker engine.

I think I made it worse by fiddling with the encoder angle.

How is your progress?

Terje

just do a complete callibration.

Ok. Then I'll need the can to USB interface and connect to the controller and so on?..

Expensive cable.

Terje

Terber said:
Ok. Then I'll need the can to USB interface and connect to the controller and so on?..

Expensive cable.

Terje
yes, or ask help from a dealership or a forum member in your country that is willing to help that has the cable.

Back