Sur Ron plus mobipus controller

thoroughbred

100 W
Bike does everything I want except climb big hills. Needs more horsepower.

All the popular controllers are impossible to get so I'm going to try my luck with the 200 amp mobipus controller. Bird in hand sort of situation.

I'm waiting for some connectors to be delivered but am able to start mounting the box. It is not lending itself to easy fitment on the lightbee. It has a weird connector that forces the wires to come out the wide side of the chunky cube. It also requires a bulky contactor installation. Is this absolutely necessary? I don't think nucular or asi require this.

One thing I discovered when removing the stock controller was this odd nameplate.20200725_175859.jpg

I would like mine to be a litebee Sherpa!

Controller is finally mounted after fiddling around for hours trying to make it fit. So far I can ride it around but it has less power than the stock x controller. There are about 200 parameters that can be edited to fit each application. I obviously don't have the optimum parameters set up yet.

It doesn't auto detect the motor so I'm working on getting the parameters under "motor structure" set first. Not much info out there on the Sur ron motor configuration. I see pictures of ten magnets inside the motor so I think I have that one parameter figured out, 5 poles :p

At least I'm learning a lot from the process :wink:20200806_214315.jpg

I made a bunch of terminal lugs to make cable extensions but ended up using solid copper busbars to cut down on bulk behind the controller

If my bike wasn't already ugly, I would be more worried with how this thing looks. :shock: 20200811_080728.jpg

I have the controller set up much better now and it does indeed have more power than the stock X controller. I had the hall sensor orientation set up wrong. :x 20200811_080715.jpg

If the numbers can be believed, its putting out twice as many watts (11500) as the stock setup? The battery is going over 200 amps? ( i thought the stock battery supposedly cuts out at 90-120 amps)

Here's the only info i have seen regarding the Sur Ron "motor structure". There is no Auto Detect Motor ability in the Mobipus software so you have to input the parameters yourself.

https://vesc-project.com/node/922

Nice work getting it going. Wish more of these controllers would have made it into the wild.

What kind of fork is that?

DanGT86 said:
Nice work getting it going. Wish more of these controllers would have made it into the wild.

What kind of fork is that?

Hey thanks, i too wonder if these controllers actually made it into any OEM offerings and what they are.

The forks are off a Honda youth mx bike. I got some healthy ribbing when I did it but have since seen others sing their praises. They are fantastic for how I use the bike :p
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96292&start=175#p1499635

I am trying to learn more about FOC and field weakening since the mobipus supports such features and there are parameters which need to be optimized

95 percent done now. Its gross, a real dog's breakfast situation :shock:

The stock surron battery shuts down if you push it too hard so you have to tweak the battery amps to keep the bms happy. One reason for changing controllers was the potential of using other battery configurations. 12s BMW cells is the same size as the stock surron so when i find a 12s charger, ill try that setup. As for now, I have to run 16s so my new diy battery has a huge 4s tumor sitting on top of it

The motorcycle weighs 155 with the big battery as it is 10 pounds heavier than the oem...but, BMW battery at 12s is 2.2kwh, 16s is 2.9kwh vs oem 1.8kwh. Plus bmw battery should be able to push up to 250 amps. So I have that going for me

Attachments

• 20200820_071257.jpg
    20200820_071257.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 20200820_071310.jpg
    20200820_071310.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 20200820_071230.jpg
    20200820_071230.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,121
Back