Corroding or overheating wires? Advice needed.

twincher

1 µW
Hi all,
I've recently completed a conversion of an old Honda XL185. Unfortunately I've just found out that some of the battery wiring is beginning to degrade quite seriously.
I was worried from the start about the wire I was using, it feels very "flimsy": I thought maybe this was because it wasn't pure copper or maybe the strands were just very thin.

Anyway, this is what they look like now, after a bit of use. There is a whole lot of white dust stuff (looks to me like copper corrosion) and they break very easily. I'm aware that I was pulling slightly more current through them than I should have at times, so maybe they got a bit hot and thus corroded quickly, but surely the insulation tubing would show more signs of melting if it had gotten hot?

I'm probably going to just go buy thicker gauge wire and replace the bad connections, but I'd love to know for sure what's actually going on here?

Also, here is a video of how easily they break: https://youtu.be/vDtxo9B1xnQ

Thanks!

Attachments

• CorrodedWiresPics.pdf
    430.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my Sabvaton 7280 controller. It's showing Error 02H on the LCD, which (as far as I can tell) is an "over voltage" error. Perhaps it is linked with the fact that when I connect the MQCON app, it shows battery voltage as being 92V. However, this is not the correct reading (others also seem to be getting bad readings from the app/PC software). The voltage shown on the TFT display (and when I check directly using a multimeter) is 80V.

Something else which is confusing me further is that the app shows "lack voltage" error. ...Which is supposed to indicate that the battery voltage is too low (<60V).

Really not sure what is going on. Any help would be much appreciated!
View attachment error02H.pdf

Hi all,

I purchased a number of items from em3ev a while back. I have only recently finished my e-motorcycle build and taken it for a few test runs. It was my first taste of electric vehicle power! Very exciting! However, I have quickly run into a multitude of issues with the MQCON/Sabvoton SVMC7280 (M) controller. I am wondering if you might be able to help me out.

The first worrying sign what that the TFT display began displaying an error "02H" and stopped supplying power to the motor. As far as I could tell, this meant an "over voltage" fault. But the TFT display (and checking with a multimeter) showed the battery to be at 80V.

I then connected the Bluetooth app. This showed a "lack voltage" error (which is very confusing because this is opposite to "over voltage"?). Additionally, the app showed varying battery voltage readings each time I connected: always 10 to 15 Volts higher than what the TFT/multimeter was saying.

I used the Grin Technologies Cycle Statiator to charge the battery back up and (hopefully) make sure that all the cells were well balanced. Nevertheless, I still got the same error warnings, and power was still blocked from the motor (5kW QS V3 hub motor).

Then all of a sudden, after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, the controller stopped turning on at all. No red or green LEDs come on. I have double-checked the battery voltage and connections, all seems fine that side (84V). I am worried something is wrong with the internals of the controller, but after removing the outer shell, I cannot identify any blown/broken/shorted components.
You probably hear this a lot, but perhaps it is software related?

I would appreciate any help or advice you can give. Here is a collection of pictures I took during the process (same as attached doc): https://drive.google.com/file/d/18kbXpHkYc4eB8SS63aWsudqIWX51cQ04/view?usp=sharing

View attachment Sabvoton Controller Debugging Pictures.pdf

Is it under warranty? The Sabvoton/Votol/Kelly's have a high DOA or DOA within 100km rate and its really just luck of the draw. Some people get 100,000km out of them no problem.

After a short ride with my bike it stops working. It seams the BMS of the battery was burnt.
I replaced battery and BMS antried again.
2 errors came up:
lack voltage and error 02H.
In addition I found out that the motor temperature in the app showed 130.
Can someone please help me?
Reiner

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423_133438_com.mqcon.app.android.settingtool.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423_133438_com.mqcon.app.android.settingtool.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 597
twincher said:
Hi all,

I purchased a number of items from em3ev a while back. I have only recently finished my e-motorcycle build and taken it for a few test runs. It was my first taste of electric vehicle power! Very exciting! However, I have quickly run into a multitude of issues with the MQCON/Sabvoton SVMC7280 (M) controller. I am wondering if you might be able to help me out.

The first worrying sign what that the TFT display began displaying an error "02H" and stopped supplying power to the motor. As far as I could tell, this meant an "over voltage" fault. But the TFT display (and checking with a multimeter) showed the battery to be at 80V.

I then connected the Bluetooth app. This showed a "lack voltage" error (which is very confusing because this is opposite to "over voltage"?). Additionally, the app showed varying battery voltage readings each time I connected: always 10 to 15 Volts higher than what the TFT/multimeter was saying.

I used the Grin Technologies Cycle Statiator to charge the battery back up and (hopefully) make sure that all the cells were well balanced. Nevertheless, I still got the same error warnings, and power was still blocked from the motor (5kW QS V3 hub motor).

Then all of a sudden, after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, the controller stopped turning on at all. No red or green LEDs come on. I have double-checked the battery voltage and connections, all seems fine that side (84V). I am worried something is wrong with the internals of the controller, but after removing the outer shell, I cannot identify any blown/broken/shorted components.
You probably hear this a lot, but perhaps it is software related?

I would appreciate any help or advice you can give. Here is a collection of pictures I took during the process (same as attached doc): https://drive.google.com/file/d/18kbXpHkYc4eB8SS63aWsudqIWX51cQ04/view?usp=sharing

Sabvoton Controller Debugging Pictures.pdf

I have red your problem and faced the error 02h as well. Did yiu get any results to save this problem?
The error lack voltage comes up as well.
Can you help me please?
Reiner

Attachments

62.6 KB · Views: 569
Back