EVT-4000e/EVT-168 Brushed Throttle Adjustment

TheSiege

100 W
I have a 168 brushed. And for the life of me, I cannot adjust the throttle. Its a cable throttle and inside the controller a V shaped opening is pulled back to allow more light through the diode which determines the speed. But there is no spring or anything to put tension on the cable to put it back to "idle" when the twist throttle is not being turned. It seems like a spring should go there but there isnt one. And I might just add one. Has anyone else looked at this or worked on this before? Thanks

G'day Write.
There should be spring there at the alloy block the throttle shaft slides in. You have to remove the PCB to get at it. The mounting screws are under the sticker.
You could probably put a spring on the brass throttle shaft between the housing & the circlip on the shaft if the original is missing.

AussieRider

Ok, last question. I have basically both scooters that need some work. Which would be the better option to focus my time and resources to maximize speed and range? Thanks

rip out the controller and install a regular hall type trottle. these are cookcie cutter retro chinese scooters. parts galore.

personally i HATE the retro models with their stupid front suspention.

i would focus on the 4000.

TheSiege said:
Well its brushed, so I would need a new throttle controller and motor

seems very strange, i have never seen a brushed motor on a scooter. it must be the bottomest of the bottom barrel design then or REALLY old. brushless is considerably cheaper then brushed for 10+ years now....

if it is brushed you should toss it in the garbage anyway.

Lighten up Flippy & don't be so rude!
Not everyone can drop a load of cash to upgrade to the latest & greatest.
Brushed systems are not crap, just not as efficient as brushless. Same for SLA vs Li.
Perhaps TheSeige I've likes the style of the 168. No need to bag it.
TheSeige mate, you may want to change controllers. The EVT units are locked pretty tight software wise but you can probably mount a new controller inside the EVT case. It's pretty big & a great heat sink.
You could use a potentiometer mounted inside the EVT case for the throttle & use the standard cable twist grip.
Another way to get a bit more top speed is to add a 5th battery for 60v. No room in the 168 but plenty in the 4000 if you remove the underseat storage tray. You just need to make a lead to plug into the last battery Anderson to take 2 batts.
Most of us here are DYI tinkerers who like to fix stuff & learn on the way rather than throwing money at a problem.

AussieRider

how i am rude? if that scooter actually has a brushed motor its obviously extremely limiting. upgrading it to something like bldc wich you can get actually parts for is the first logical step. putting money into "fixing" a dead technology is litteraly a waste of money with no real gain. these scooters are baiscally all the same. so you can go onto your marketplace of choice and find a replacment bldc motor+controller for pennies in your area. prehaps if you search/ask around you can get a whole setup for a case of beer.

fixing a brushed setup will end up being more expensive then replacing it with a (used) bldc drivetrain and unlocks you to a world of potential upgrades not to mention a much higher quality of driving.

stating the obvious is not being rude, its just that: stating the obvious.

what would be rude IMHO is advising someone to sink money into a dead technology.
the front suspention is a different subject but getting it "tight" so it drives well mandates a complete overhaul of all the bushings and wheel bearings every couple thousand miles. just for that reason i wold just focus on the 4000e wich does not have all those parts.

Google "manners" & "diplomacy".
Flippy, I respect the knowledge you've shown on this forum.
It's just that some folks just want to improve what they've got a bit, not totally transform it.
Many people get a lot of joy from their old, inefficient rides that they've restored & maybe even improved a little bit along the way.
Could you "upgrade" a Shelby Mustang with a Tesla drivetrain & still have a classic muscle car?
Ok perhaps that's a bit extreme but hopefully it makes my point.
I agree though, the 168 front suspension is not as good as the telescopic of the 4000 ( I have both ).
A case of style over function. You've gotta admit though, the 168 is cute.

AussieRider

AussieRider said:
You've gotta admit though, the 168 is cute.

cute does not get you home. :wink:

Ok Flippy, we have different attitudes to maintainence. Let's agree to disagree.
TheSeige, my apologies for hijacking your thread.
Happy Easter folks.

AussieRider

I think I am going to do a combination of both suggestions. I am going to use the existing motors/controllers/throttles I have and get the 168 up and going to factory spec and use a Lithium pack instead of SLA. Since there is no real out of pocket costs of robbing the parts from the 4000 and throwing it on the 168. Then I will buy parts as time/money permits and upgrade the 4000 to a brushless system with a 2000w-3000w motor since, as you mentioned, it has the better suspension and brakes to handle the increased power. I have plenty of Lithium batteries, almost too many really. I have a 14s55ah Lithium pack. (6) 13s15ah lithium packs and (20) 50ah LiFePo4 cells.

seems like a solid plan.

but make it a 4kW motor. :roll: :wink:

Seige mate, we share a dream.
I've got a couple of 2004 4000's "new" as in never been on the road, never registered, 0 km & a stack of parts but missing rear swing arms.
content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/16179741498331585031300.jpg
If I can find a swing arm that fits, I'd love to build a 72v / 3 or 4 Kw sleeper.

AussieRider

Sorry,
I messed up inserting the image. Hopefully this time.
Scooters.jpg

AussieRider

Does the 168 share the same swing arm? I am still debating on wether or not I should rebuild this 168 and this 4000e I have. I am leaning toward just doing the 4000e. If the 168 and 4000e share the same swing arm, send me a DM and be happy to ship it to you. Ive gotten plenty of help and parts from people that I am about due to pay it forward. I only payed 150 for this 168 I got and I am taking the motor off for my 4000e until I buy the new drive system for it

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. The 4000e swingarm is much longer & has the cross brace further back to clear the bigger battery compartment. I intend to hotrod one of the 4000e's. It has the front disc brake, better front suspension, more room under the seat for a bigger battery or an board charger & a dual seat so I can scare the crap out of EV virgin passengers!

AussieRider

Brother, I have your swing arm. brand new, in the box. you were going to get paypal set up, right?
www.lucid-engineering.com check it out. I have a EVT 345 and its missing a motor, did they sell the trikes there?

Thank mate but I've had to put the project on hold. Australia didn't get the trike, only the 4000e in red & silver, and the 168 in purple & green.
Back to the original subject though, TheSeige, seems PtheDude can help you with the controller, since he's in the same country. If your controller has a silver grey main lead, PtheDude's black lead controller can give up to 10 km/hr more top speed.

AussieRider

Back