Building a Fast Charging Motorcycle

Xoon

1 µW
Hey folks!
I am new around here, been lurking from time to time, but finally decided to join the forum.

I am starting my second year of my bachelor degree in Mechatronics and I have a trade certificate in automation. In general I have a burning passion of automotive engineering and I am a part of a formula student team.

I want to make a motorcycle that I can use to commute and practically travel 290 km. Obviously, getting 290 km range out of a DIY E-motorcycle is a bit ambitions, which is why I want to use supercharging to top off the battery. The bike will also serve as a experimental platform for future prototypes.

I have set down these hard requirements:
- Being able to travel practically from Ålesund to Trondheim ( 290 km, 60 km/h average )
- Working in cold weather ( -12 degrees C )
- 11-35 kw power
- 80-120 km/h top speed
- Not bankrupting
- Able to carry a 90kg person, plus 30kg backpack

Design:
I intend on using cylindrical cells capable of 2C charging rate to allow fast charging in 30 minutes, VTC6A seems to fit the bill. For BMS, the Orion BMS seems to fit the bill the best. It is capable of chademo fast charging, and can interface with chargers. As for chargers, it would either be a Elcon or Brusa charger at 6,6 kW. My controller of choice is the Cascadia Rinehart PM100. As for motors, the Emrax 188 seems to best currently, though a in-runner would be preferred.

Battery:
I intend to build my own battery pack. I want a 403,2V battery pack (355V Nominal), with roughly 12 kWh pack. This way when I charge the bike from 0-80%, I should have the necessary range.

I intend to use cylindrical cells ( 21700 / 18650 ), with nickel strips for ease of assembly. If I can track down affordable micro TIG laser, ultrasonic, welder or wire bonder, then I will use that. To allow fast charging, I want to use a cell like the Murata VTC6A, with a 2C charge rate. This way I can charge up in 30 minutes.

I want active cooling / heating, as I need to keep the battery cool during fast charging, water resistant, and a way to heat it during the winter, as it gets quite cold around here. It also allows me to toy around with thermal management solutions in the future. So far, oil cooling seems the best option, without making the battery pack too complex. Air cooling is also considered.

For BMS, the Orion seems the best suited, giving quite a good amount of features for a good price.

Charging:
For normal AC charging, I want to use a Elcon or Brusa Charger. The power is not very important, only that it can speak with a public charger.

For DC fast charging, I intend to use CHAdeMO. As it comes as a built in feature in the Orion BMS and is supported by enough charging stations. The low charging power ( 50 kW ) is not a concern for me. I would prefer CSS, but its extremely expensive to get a protocol box, which costs about 4200 British pounds.
I have considered just buying a 22 kW Brusa charger, but it seems more expensive and redundant than using a 6,6 kW charger and fast charging.

Powertrain:
My controller of choice is the Cascadia Rinehart PM100. As for motors, the Emrax 188 seems to best currently, though a in-runner would be preferred. With chain drive, not sure if I will be able to get ahold of reduction gears.

Low Voltage Systems:
I intend to build my own DC/DC converter, as most are very oversized. They come with ready modules who just need to be soldered to a board with some support components. The rest of the system would be carried over from a donor bike.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, scrutineer away!
Xoon.

Back