Scooter Power Question

Hi all

2 things

Can you clear this up for me?
I have 48v 1600w brushless scooter motor in my scooter, stock 48v 12ah 20v LI batt and crap no name controller

What is the main component that powers this motor and can push it to the limit, is it the controller or the battery?

I was thinking to go with 48v 1500w controller and 48v 20ah 50v LI battery (1800w) max

What controller and battery combo will push this motor to the max? I was even thinking of going 60v overall

ALSO
same scooter

1600w brushless
48v 12ah 20a LI battery
the only markings on the controller is JPK01 jp-ch-38a201605122

I bought it cheap knowing there was an issue

battery tests 50v on MM
charger tests 50 on MM

scooter rides for 10min, then just turns off, if you take the key out, unplug the battery , plug back in and turn back on it runs another few mins and then does the same
I think it may be the controller, or even the battery, any ideas?

TY for the help

Attachments

• hyper 2017.jpg
    hyper 2017.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 436
thedaydreamer said:
scooter rides for 10min, then just turns off, if you take the key out, unplug the battery , plug back in and turn back on it runs another few mins and then does the same
I think it may be the controller, or even the battery, any ideas?

Your battery is sick, and you're stomping it to death when you do that. Most likely, the BMS is cutting off the pack when one cell group drops below minimum voltage.

Put it on the charger and leave it on there for a few days. If it behaves the same afterwards, it's probably time for a new battery. If it has improved, give it more time on the charger. Most cheap BMSes balance the pack only after it's fully charged, and they're slow.

TY

What battery would you recommend for the 48v 1600w brushless? whats in there now is 48v 12ah 20a

question
1. I was looking at 48v 20ah 50a from ebay,,any other ideas? how much faster would it be with this battery?

2. The controller in there has this label on it jpk01 jp-ch-38a201605122, I have no idea what it is, If I upgrade the controller to say 48v 1600w will that make a difference?

3. I was thinking of just going with overvolting the 48 with 60v batt and controller, will that work?

TY

You need to know what the amp ratings of your controller and battery are. It's best for your battery's health and longevity not to run it at or near its maximum rating.

A 48V "1500W" controller is usually 35A. Putting a 35A load on a 12Ah battery is running it at 3C (three times as many amps as its amp-hour rating), which is probably a much faster discharge that it was intended to do.

Even if you switch to a 20Ah battery, you'll be running it at close to 2C. That might work fine for a lithium polymer radio-control model battery, or a high power battery made from automotive cells, but in most cases a cheap battery made of 18650 cylindrical cells will be pretty stressed to do it. Even if the cells are good for that much power, the strips connecting them usually aren't.

Increasing your system voltage will give you more motor RPM (with lower motor efficiency most of the time), but it won't address the problems you have now at all. If you want to get the best out of your little deathtrap, you need to use a battery that can support the discharge rate you demand of it, without being damaged in the process.

thedaydreamer said:
TY

What battery would you recommend for the 48v 1600w brushless? whats in there now is 48v 12ah 20a

It mostly depends on your budget and on the available space.
As Chalo said, the main factor will be the C-rating (also called dischage rate) of your cells. The higher the better.
Some cells can safely deliver 25A continuous/35A peak, like the Sony VTC5A. Putting just two in parallel would give you 50A continuous, 70A peak, which is more current than your controller needs, translating into a much lower stress on the battery and less voltage sag. Meaning both slightly more power with the same motor and controller, longer lifespan and higher efficiency (meaning you'd need less capacity to travel the same distance, because energy wouldn't be wasted into heating the battery).

You'd probably need to parallel more than two to get the necessary capacity for the range you want, so that would be even better for both max current and durability. There is no problem in building a battery capable of delivering more current than the controller or motor needs, the more powerful your battery is, the better. Only the voltage needs to match the one of your controller, that's all. The only limits are size constraints and cost, because high performance cells are expensive.

Hope this helps

Back