burnt or failed phases

EEG

100 µW
I'm looking at several 10-12kW controllers, all with the first phase having burnt. Never seen this before. Any ideas on how or why this might be? Initial thought is someone was "experimenting" with the power settings or did this intentionally. I have some vague recollection of the first phase blowing on a few controllers after the BMS shutdown and regen continued.

Same happend to my Sabvoton SVMC 72260 , Mosfets died with flux weakening activated while testing on the main stand. Got it running for a few days after changing the dead FETs, but now it doesn't turn the motor anymore.
My SVMC72150 died the same way, but the Mosfets are still ok, but it doesn't turn the motor anymore.
High supply voltage, flux weakening , no load and regen in combination are a real killer.

With the new SVMC72150 I have done now 4000km without flux weakening and without any issue.

IF the same phase blew on several controllers from the same person, the likelihood is that htey also had a bad motor or wiring harness that shorts that phase either to battery positive or battery negative (more likley, especially if they have a frame grounded battery (not recommended) since a phase wire shorted to the axle at the axle exit (common) would then short that phase to ground).

They may not know they have a problem (and may even be in denial about it; this has happened a number of times on this forum, for instance).

Not a frame grounded system. What would be a sign that its shorting to battery + or - ?

It's multiple controllers on a few vehicles over the past 3 months. Initial thought, settings are being adjusted or customer(s) is keying the bike on/off while under power. These customers seem aware that the warranty replacement controller has been upgraded. Some likelihood this is deliberate.

EEG said:
Not a frame grounded system. What would be a sign that its shorting to battery + or - ?

You'd have to measure the system itself under whatever conditions the controller failed under, to see if there is a phase wire short to anything else (including another phase).

Anything that causes enough uncontrolled current flow from the phase output of the FET bridge to anything else (including another FET bridge phase output) could blow the FETs, especially for controllers that do not monitor actual phase current on all phases all the time. (even those that do probably can't react fast enough to prevent the failure, by the time they've processed the overload info the FETs are already damaged, as this protection system isn't intended to protect against that kind of failure).

EEG said:
It's multiple controllers on a few vehicles over the past 3 months.
Are they all the same kind of vehicle? Meaning, like same model / brand / etc?

If so, there's a chance that they're all using a common component that happens to have a specific defect in the first phase.

Alternately, it could be the controllers are all running the same firmware that itself has a bug that causes something (such as the failure modes you've previously seen) to occur under specific circumstances without an actual hardware cause.

Back