AE966600 Throttle error

jeffriechers

1 µW
Hello everyone, long time follower first time poster.

So I decided it was time for a mid-life crisis and I picked up a junked 80s Kitana and decided to convert it to electric. I stripped it down, and got my QSMotor 8KW into it, all wired up with an AE96600. Hall motor tests and all look great. But as soon as I plug in the throttle, or boot it with the throttle plugged in I get throttle error messages. Also any attempt to program the controller with the throttle plugged in will give a check throttle, motion error.

I have tried adjusting the throttle settings in the app so 0-3 instead of 1-4, same problems. I did pick up a new throttle, but am waiting for deliver on it. Has anyone seen something similar? Any troubleshooting steps I should test out before I wire up the new throttle in case it can be returned?

I'll share pics on my absolutely ghetto build, as I am trying to build this without a majority of tooling that intelligent people would use.

So I got this controller with my QS motor. Trying to wire it up and all I get are throttle errors flashing on it.

If I disconnect the throttle and do hall tests from drive manager I get wheel movement.

I tried another throttle, same issue.

I stripped it down so that I have just the hall motor connection hooked up, the E-lock to power the controller, and the throttle hooked up. Still just flashing throttle flashing. Is there some other wiring I need to hook up for bare minimum testing? Is my controller pooched out of the box?

I have an 96800 and haven't had this issue. Does the controller not work at all with the throttle plugged in? Does it show a voltage input value for the throttle?

There are two kinds of throttle; hall and pot. Which type do you have?

Hall give around 1-4v signal.

Pot give full range of whatever input is (like 0-5v).

If controller expects one and you have the other, then it'll see a problem with the starting voltage of the throttle when powered on, and may error and lock itself out to prevent a runaway motor system (which could happen from this).

Well, I found the issue with the throttle. The ground wire was crimped on the insulation instead of on the wire. So once I fixed that it was good.

Now what I am looking at doing is changing the acceleration a bit. I turn the throttle a tiny bit and it just JUMPS. Would like to calm that down a little bit so it can ramp up a little easier.

Is that while wheel is offground? Or while riding? If riding, under what specific conditions?

Is it using torque (current) throttle control mode? Or speed (voltage) mode?

If it's the first in both cases, then that's normal, and wouldn't do that while riding.

Back