Emax 110s charger

Hi everyone.
I was wondering if anyone has looked inside a Emax 110s intelligent charger. My one has blown a disc capacitor about two inches behind the power switch. It’s blown the side so I can’t see what is value should be. I’m hoping someone can tell me from looking at theirs.
Cheers Andy

It is probably not a capacitor. Most likely it is an ICL (inrush current limiter, usually a form of NTC resistor that lowers resistance as temperature goes up; meant to prevent high currents during plugin to the wall but still allow normal operation). These are wired in series with the Line (or sometimes the Neutral) AC input wire.

It could also be a high-voltage spike protection device; these are wired across the ground and line (and sometimes a second one across the neutral and ground).

What you'd need to replace it with depends on which one of these it is.

ICLs fail on their own over time just from the heat they create, sometimes, but often they blow up because the capacitors they feed via a rectifier diode pack are failing and becoming a partial short internally. If you replace an ICL and it fails again (instantly or soonish), there's other problems in the device that need to be fixed.

Hi guys
Sorry to put post in wrong place I’ve just join board so not to clever.
Amberwolf I think you’re spot on with it being a ICL. Looking at the board again it is marked NT1. Can I work out it’s value by size it’s about 14mm diameter.
Cheers Andy

Probably. Mouser and Digikey both have lookups for parts to filter them by various specs, and they also have "chats" with sometimes-helpful people that might be able to do that for you.

Mouser
https://www.mouser.com/c/circuit-protection/thermistors/inrush-current-limiters/?pg=21
If you only pick things out of the columns you know info for, it'll show you more options. If you don't know a spec just leave all of them unselected and it wont' filter by that.

For instance, you know this is a PCB Mount, and you know it's about 14mm diameter, so you can select all the sizes from 13-15mm and the 0.5" and 0.6" on either side, then you can measure the thickness and select a range of that. YOu can measure lead spacing (where the wires solder to the board), and then select that, too. Then click "apply filters". Without the thickness and lead spacing, it gives 135 results. Don't know what that will narrow down to with any other parameters you mgiht be able to determine.

Thanks ambwolf with all the dimensions I had it narrowed it down to just six possibles only leaving ohms and amps. Purchased one based on probable amps and it’s working fine at the moment. Sadly I won’t be needing it for a while as the programming usb touch the live terminal and blown my Kelly controller.

Back