Enertrac MHM motor repair

Hi all

I recently pulled apart my EnerTrac motor to replace the bearings, which had developed a grumbling.
I had a symptom of vibrations that could be felt in the pegs after about 30mph to about 40 then from 55mph onwards. The vibration felt like a resonance.

[youtube]UelJ_UatCQk[/youtube]

After pulling apart, I managed to damage the winding with the puller tool (stupid I know)

it looked to be only superficial, having damaged the insulating paper, and the heat shrink around it, but not the windings underneath. I cut the old heatshrink etc off, re heatshrink it and glued it back down. The damage on the other side appeared to miss the hall sensor wire and only damage the heat insulation sleeving around the wires.

I have reassembled the motor, and whilst spinning the motor against the bearnings is now much smoother and quieter, I now have a much more severe vibration/resonance under power and the controller cuts out at moderate to high loads with "hall error".

Its a fardriver controller and my experience usually shows that hall error actually means "I have told the motor to do something and the feedback from the halls does not make sense"

I have tested the hall outputs at low speed and they are all switching correctly and doing what I expect. The motor runs up to full speed with the wheel off the ground without issue, but buzzes up through the rpm range.

I suspect that one of the phases IS actually damaged and is not contributing as much (potentially this was the case before and I have made it worse?). I have measured the resistance of phase to phase to phase and its 0.2 ohms across the board, but at very low resistance levels I am sure I need a more sensitive meter to get any meaningful results.

Enertrac have been helpful in the past, but as I bought this bike half completed from another person, they are unwilling to help (or super busy?) to my most recent requests. Any sugg3estions as to how to move forward would be much appreciated.

Hi,
I also have a MHM602 Enertrac motor in an active project (no road time yet but the 'system' works on the test bench).
Was wondering if you made any progress with this issue? In your video it looks like you are just spinning the loose motor cover???

EDIT: re-read original post and removed unrelated content.

Questions I have:
1. what torque did you use on the motor case bolts?
2. what torque did you use on the brake rotor disk mounting bolts?
3. did you try a different/new/other controller?

Back