Riding in the Rain

Tfisher309

10 mW
It will be spring before I can ride the electric motorcycle I am building, but I got thinking of something. Here in the mid-west it is not possible to ride a motorcycle without occasionally getting caught in the rain. Does anyone have experience with this or ideas on how to prepare the bike? Is sealing the connecters good enough?

If it's useful, there have been a number of threads in various subforums about waterproofing, weatherproofing, rainproofing, winterizing, etc., that have a fair bit of info on the topic.

My experience is at slower speeds (20mph or less) and mostly short distances in Phoenix, AZ, where we get either nothing, or floods / pouring rain, most of the time, so others' experience may be better suited to your situation.

I gotcha. Where in the midwest are you riding? I'm in mid Michigan. I finished my 72v nominal conversion in about August i think. Rode it through mid november. During those few months, I got caught in the rain a dozen times, at least 1 of those times was basically downpour. Clothes completely soaked through. 2-4 times when I parked at work in the morning, I noticed it was raining some time after it had started, so I went to cover up the motorcycle way too late, after a good soaking. So take my advice with a grain of salt, because I only have a few months worth of hands-on experience with this nature, but I do have a few pointers.

Waterproofing your individual connections is important for sure. But focus your attention not on whether wet environment will cause electrical shorts, but rather, whether water will collect in and on electrical components and not dry. If and when that happens, the connection fails. I believe both Great Scott and Electroboom on Youtube have run similar tests on basically dunking electronics in water. The danger isn't shorts, its eventual corrosion from water sitting on and corroding individual connections.

To that end, keep as many of your wirings and connections under some sort of shield. Use the interior of your headlight bucket for a lot of your connections, as is traditionally done with motorcycles anyway. Obviously for good reason. I hollowed out the original fuel tank, cut off the bottom, and stored my controller under it, so any water getting on the controller and all of it's connections would have to fight gravity from underneath, so I don't really worry about those. For connections that have to occur outside of an umbrella, try to use a loop or two, to force rainwater to the bottom of a loop and keep it from wicking upwards. For high current connections, I used solid copper lugs, and I put a healthy amount of dielectric great sandwiched between the lug and its connection terminal. My ammeter, voltmeter, and handlebar switches needed to be up and on the handlebars. To mitigate their demise, I basically gathered all of it and put it in a nice-ish box, mounted to the handlebars, and did a pretty good job of waterproofing that: screwed down onto a rubber seal, and all wires going in and out go through a hole at the bottom, to prevent sideways wicking. Are you using a hub motor? Pay attention to how the wires enter the axle, and seal it up better if necessary. Try to install it so that the wire port is facing downwards.

I dont have a pic of the handlebar box right now, cuz the bike is all packed up and disassembled for the winter. Which is my last advice. Chances are, your battery will either not be able to be used in the winter, or at least you wont want to ride a motorcycle exposed to the cold at those temps. So again I take a page out of the motorcyclist handbook, and plan to disassemble the bike quite a bit every year. Unplug everything once a year, inspect every electrical connection, check for rust and corrosion, replace what's necessary. Store important expensive components indoors for the winter. I keep the motorcycle under covered storage when parked at home, and I wouldn't be riding in rain anyway, but like you, I'm in the midwest, and getting rained on was going to be inevitable. So I spent quite some time planning and trying methods and revising, keeping my new bike alive in the rain was way at the top of my list of priorities. Let me know if you need any more specific advice.

Usually rain is fine for most of the powertrain as long as it is not directly exposed to a lot of water. Most controllers and motors are waterproof.

The only real danger is the throttle, which is why I always recommend to use a cable actuated throttle, this way you can hide in a dry spot conveniently. There is nothing more dangerous and more scary than a bike suddently starting to run at full power by istelf because the throttle ingested water and got shorted.... ask me how I know!

Also you need to protect the battery if it is made of lithium cells, for this the easiest method is to purchase some heat shrink tube.
If your battery is lead acid then no special protection is required.

The wiring harness also needs some attention, I recommend you to use waterproof connectors everywhere you can, but at the very least for the followings:
-throttle
-brake switches
-hall sensors
-ignition

These are the only really necessary things to run the bike so make sure they are bulletproof if you want maximum reliability

It will take you a few very boring hours to redo all the connectors, but believe me, that is some very well spent time! Personnally I've done that on all my vehicles years ago and never had any issue with rain ever since. :wink:

It is also a good idea to route the wiring harness in such a way that it won't see too much water in the first place, if possible try to re-route it so it won't get too soaked.

Last thing: make sure you have some waterproof brake switches. On most ebikes, pressing the brake activates a little switch, which is often used to cut the controller's output power. So sometimes if water gets in the switch it can mess up with the signal and then your bike stops.
Good luck!

I ride in the rain whenever it rains and I do not care. My bike will live, mostly wet, all winter long.

I crashed in the rain teh other day. Very high speed.

Teh crash is what you should worry about, not the bike, in the rain.

Attachments

• 317300178_6138441596186118_6051038744939581919_n.jpg
    317300178_6138441596186118_6051038744939581919_n.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 198
Dui said:
Last thing: make sure you have some waterproof brake switches. On most ebikes, pressing the brake activates a little switch, which is often used to cut the controller's output power. So sometimes if water gets in the switch it can mess up with the signal and then your bike stops.
Electronic/regen brakes are great, I love them. But if OP is building a motorcycle, and going motorcycle speeds, hopefully he already has planned on keeping mechanical brakes on both wheels as well. Rain or not. Best not to rely on an electronic circuit to stop you when you're going 50mph.

Edit: I just realized as I typed this that regen braking may offer a benefit in wet conditions. Rain decreases traditional braking power by reducing friction between the disc and brake pads (or drum and pads, or ect), as well as decreased friction between the rubber and the road. With regen, rain doesn't affect the braking action, because it's back emf and doesn't even use friction. Cool. I'm sure that's already known by some, but I only just now realized it.

Good stuff. I'm West-Central Illinois and the rain can come out of nowhere. Especially if it is warm out. I hadn't thought about the throttle and good idea not to let water get trapped where it won't drain or dry.

harrisonpatm said:
Best not to rely on an electronic circuit to stop you when you're going 50mph.

Try telling that to EUC riders :confused:

harrisonpatm said:
Dui said:
Electronic/regen brakes are great, I love them. But if OP is building a motorcycle, and going motorcycle speeds, hopefully he already has planned on keeping mechanical brakes on both wheels as well. Rain or not. Best not to rely on an electronic circuit to stop you when you're going 50mph.

Edit: I just realized as I typed this that regen braking may offer a benefit in wet conditions. Rain decreases traditional braking power by reducing friction between the disc and brake pads (or drum and pads, or ect), as well as decreased friction between the rubber and the road. With regen, rain doesn't affect the braking action, because it's back emf and doesn't even use friction. Cool. I'm sure that's already known by some, but I only just now realized it.

None of what you are talking about is the point.
The point is if your switches (or connectors) is not properly sheilded you can get water in there making a connection.
Then your brakes (or just throttle cut off) is activated even when you are not using the brakes, or pushing the button or whathever.

harrisonpatm said:

I was not talking about regen, but simply the brake signal that goes to the controller. :wink:
It can indeed trigger the regen if your controller has this option enabled, but no matter if you have regen or not it will cut the controller power output. So if you get water in the switches and they mess up the signal, the controller will cut the power to the motor and you'll have to wait for the switch to be dry to be able to ride again.
The motor simply won't spin even if you twist the throttle, it's a safety measure most if not every controller has (but it can be desactivated in most programmable controllers if need be).

This doesn't affect the way mechanical brakes work, no worries there.

Back