BRD RedShift electric motorcycles

Toshi

10 kW
mTgFS.jpg

BRD RedShift. Supermoto and MX versions tipping the scales at 250 and 240 lbs, respectively. 40 hp water-cooled AC motor. 5.2 kWh of battery. $15k. Built in San Francisco.

“We just want to make faster motorcycles,” said CEO Marc Fenigstein in the company’s press statement. “We’re a team of riders and racers with high-performance gas machines in the garage. We’re building the bikes we’d rather be riding.”

Coverage on asphaltandrubber.com: http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/brd-redshift-sm/

(I know the CEO, Marc, and met him when we both lived in Boston years ago.)

Very nice.

Beautiful looking bike.

IC, yeah, your are probably right, I can see now that the diameters are different.

My guess then is that it's a fairly high RPM brushless. Probably a good choice for high power/weight-ratio.

EDIT: Found a pic of the naked frame
http://faster-faster.com/community/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/BRD-Monocoque-Frame.jpg

Hi Guys,

Nice motocross very good design, competitive with CR250R no way and 2 X times de price of CR250R :shock: 50 Miles of ranges estimated at 50 Mph, not really. 50 miles of range in motocross path mean that you can ride 25 miles before going back home to recharge this electric motocross not fun at all.

Good day!
Black Arrow

Very pretty.
If their specs are true then it may well give a CR a good run I think. 5kw/h should give you 15 mins of good hard thrashing, 30 mins of more careful offroading I'd have thought. True, it's expensive, but then they arn't selling many yet, I bet the CR would cost more than double if they only sold a couple of hundred a year..

Jozz

+1 BlackArrow.. You maybe right about sales numbers Jozzer, unfortunately for the seller, buyers dont give a toss how many are sold only what the price is they will have to pay...and i'm sorry Jozz ma MaN, 15minutes of hard riding isnt even remotely close to satisfactory for a bike with such a hefty price tag, IMO.

It is though, a neat looking bike, and i totally get they are likely doing the best they can with current battery tech, but for the price, I would by Zero if I was forced to buy any e-motorcyle.

KiM

15minutes of hard riding isnt even remotely close to satisfactory for a bike with such a hefty price tag

Have you guys even experienced how exhausting 15 min of hard riding on a motocross or supermotard is?

With a fast charger it should be possible to run 15 min every hour, which is plenty imo. A few hours of that is a good workout.
And if that isn't enough you could always shift between two batteries.

Yes I have... All well and good switching out batteries now, do those spare packs get "thrown in" for free or do you have to pay another 2-3k for them... I would be seveeerely disappointed towing the bike miles to ride it for 15 minutes out of the entire day oops, sorry 30 minutes with spare battery :-S sorry, makes absolutely no sense to me...

KiM

EDIT: Above post was abit out of line maybe? sorry if it offended, i do think this electric motorcycle is absolutel killer looking and understand its not the manufacturers fault that the current battery tech is what it is and as $$$ as it is... again soz guys... :wink:

Most TTXGP bikes struggle to kill 5kwhr in 15minutes, and we're talking way more power and way higher speeds etc.

3kw-hrs on dirt lasts me ~45mins of hard off-road, which is long enough to thoroughly wear me out.

I think it's great, and I think it's a next big step in the evolution of electric bikes. I can't wait to test-ride one. :)

Yeah, Luke has a point. I was burning about 3.5 kWh per 20 km race, so I still had plenty to spare. With stickier tyres I reckon I would have got on the throttle harder, earlier, and at worst pushed it to 4 kWh, leaving ~2 kWh in the pack.

Still, a whole day of ~6 laps times 5 practice sessions, plus two days of qualifying and racing meant at worst 25 kWh of electricity - $5.50 worth of energy :twisted:

Very Nice!

AussieJester said:
Yes I have... All well and good switching out batteries now, do those spare packs get "thrown in" for free or do you have to pay another 2-3k for them... I would be seveeerely disappointed towing the bike miles to ride it for 15 minutes out of the entire day oops, sorry 30 minutes with spare battery :-S sorry, makes absolutely no sense to me...

KiM

EDIT: Above post was abit out of line maybe? sorry if it offended, i do think this electric motorcycle is absolutel killer looking and understand its not the manufacturers fault that the current battery tech is what it is and as $$$ as it is... again soz guys... :wink:

+ 1 Same thing for me, i dont' want to offend any one here this motorcycle is really cool the desing is very good, but usefull for enduro riding like I did not really. Any 5 KW/h needs about a 7 Kw charger if you want to recharge it in less then 45 minutes.

Good day, guys!
Black Arrow

Hey folks, Marc from BRD here. Just ran across this. Toshi, thanks for posting it up back in September.

The discussion here, though brief, is unusually well informed compared to what I'm used to (e.g. "ur bike is ghey") so I thought it worth hopping in.

Some quick answers:
- The chassis tech actually allows us to match strength, weight and stiffness to the CRF at a very reasonable cost. With no welds, we have much less potential for QA issues (weld contamination) and much better alignment (heat treat occurs before machining). Also, as a two piece frame, it's actually MORE repairable than a CRF. The bike would cost more with a traditional welded frame. And it wouldn't look as cool.
- It will absolutely keep up with a CRF250R. We've been conducting our testing against my KTM 250 XCF-W as a benchmark, and it leaves the KTM behind in both handling and outright power. Actually just posted some videos of the KTM being dropped in a drag race on our facebook. It's faster and easier to ride fast.
- We expect about 2 hours of aggressive trail time, or about 40 minutes of true race pace, or about 50 miles of aggressive surface street use. We've gotten about 90 minutes of hard supermoto riding in per charge (to reserve), including back-to-back-to-back drag runs and swapping riders to make sure we stay fresh and aggressive. Our spec was based on what it would take to make sure a top 5 open class (450cc) pro could complete a moto finals on it. If you can put as much power to the ground as Ryan Dungee, you could probably burn through the battery in about 30-35 minutes at full bore.
- Battery is fixed. Swappable battery doesn't make sense considering the cost and weight of this unit. No one is going to be able to swap an 85lbs box off of a muddy bike. It saves significant weight, packaging size, and cost to go fixed. We're working on fast charge options instead.

Anyway, thanks all for the interest. We'll be slowly putting out some videos of this guy in action in the near future and I think you're going to be impressed.

edit: whoops, skipped the shameless self-promotion. Facebook page (best source for updates) is at facebook.com/brdmoto

fasterfaster said:
- We expect about 2 hours of aggressive trail time, or about 40 minutes of true race pace, or about 50 miles of aggressive surface street use. We've gotten about 90 minutes of hard supermoto riding in per charge (to reserve), including back-to-back-to-back drag runs and swapping riders to make sure we stay fresh and aggressive. Our spec was based on what it would take to make sure a top 5 open class (450cc) pro could complete a moto finals on it. If you can put as much power to the ground as Ryan Dungee, you could probably burn through the battery in about 30-35 minutes at full bore.

Great to have you stop by our forum!

Your numbers sound very believable, and right inline with what I've personally seen in riding/racing electric bikes on and off-road.

I'm just a bit south of you guys, Santa Cruz, and would love to stop by and check out the bike sometime in person if you don't mind.

liveforphysics said:

Your numbers sound very believable, and right inline with what I've personally seen in riding/racing electric bikes on and off-road.

I'm just a bit south of you guys, Santa Cruz, and would love to stop by and check out the bike sometime in person if you don't mind.
LFP, we're still a bit too small of a team that's elbows deep in testing right now to take visitors. As we ramp up production and customer support next year it'll be easier to bring folks in and show them around. Also SC will be among the first spots to have access to the demo fleet when that's rolling, so def stay tuned.

fasterfaster said:
liveforphysics said:

LFP, we're still a bit too small of a team that's elbows deep in testing right now to take visitors. As we ramp up production and customer support next year it'll be easier to bring folks in and show them around. Also SC will be among the first spots to have access to the demo fleet when that's rolling, so def stay tuned.

Will do. If you want to come down and try out our new 2012 bikes sometime, you should as well. Maybe meet at Hollister hills park and we could do a little electric vs electric fun. :)

What the hell is in this thing for a motor. I think I found pictures here. http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=236eed3c5ff1131b547bd2ee8&id=10e972716d&e=71ecdca4c6 and it looks like a brushless innerrunner. What controller as well? Keep seeing numbers >40hp as well. Hmmmmm.

For those who think that this spiral around the motor are some air fins, I can say it's not, it's more for liquid cooling conducting pipes that are attached to them.

We used the same simple machining technique for our high power UV laser beam expander lens barrel at my work for cooling it

Proto_Motor_0001_Darth_Vader.JPG

This redshift is really nice and simple desing.

I wonder if one day a cop using this E-moto will pursuite me on my giant DH... a la Duke of hazzard !! 8)

Doc

Hillhater said:
Doctorbass said:
This redshift is really nice and simple desing.
:?: :?: That frame is definitely NOT a simple design !
Its one of the most complex, intricate frames i have seen.
BRD-Monocoque-Frame.jpg

Yeah.. I know what you think... but i'm talking about the hole desing not only the frame

Doc

Back