Need help figuring out a controller

MrMike

10 µW
Hi All,

I have a new E-Scooter, which runs at 25km/h, it should also be able to run at higher speeds, it's a 1500W motor and a 48V 50A controller. However i cannot find anything anywere to alter the max speed.
It has to be in the controller but i cannot find any switch or setting.

Could you guys help me out?

This is whats on the outside of the controller:

BLDC Motor Controller
Brand: JH (?)
Model: A48150P3-ZM13
Voltage: 48V
Current Limit: 50A
Phase Angle: 120
Brake: High Level

Here are some pictures of the inside of the controller and the connectors:

The Red/grey/black wires on the top left corner is the throttle, below those are the Hall sensors. The 2 white/blue ones are connected on the outside. Possibly the regen brake? It didn't seem to have an effect on speed.
The only ones unaccounted are the black/blue/brown ones. The black one next too white/blue and the blue and brown somewhat in the middle. Those 3 are on 1 connector that isn't hooked up to anything.

I hope you guys could tell me what this is for, and how i can increase the speed(if at all)

Thanks in advance,
Mike

DSC_0703_zps297df42e.jpg

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/heugtenm/DSC_0703_zps297df42e.jpg

DSC_0702_zps3346eb6c.jpg

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/heugtenm/DSC_0702_zps3346eb6c.jpg

DSC_0701_zps20173443.jpg

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/heugtenm/DSC_0701_zps20173443.jpg

DSC_0699_zps130b6d69.jpg

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/heugtenm/DSC_0699_zps130b6d69.jpg

Your motor may simply be wound so that it's max loaded speed is what you get. You can test this by putting it up on a stand so the wheel is off the ground, and then run it up to full throttle and measure it's speed (assuming the speedo is not on the driven wheel; it probably isn't). Then compare using hte same speedo on level ground at full throttle. If they are identical then it is the controller limiting the speed. If the unloaded speed is 20-25% higher, then you probably just need to increase the voltage supplied to the motor, which may mean replacing the controller and other scooter electronics (as they may only be able to handle the present voltage range, because of design or component limitations).

If it's the controller, there may be a jumper or wire you can connect or disconnect to override the limit, or it may simply be programmed to limit the speed to some max value and you may not be able to override it. Most likley you will have to experiment with the various wires to see what they do, as there are at least tens of thousands of different kinds of controllers, and very very few have ever been tinkered with enough to find out what the PCB pads all do.

FWIW, this controller reminds me a bit of the Hua Tong that is dealt with in a few threads from the past few months, you might want ot look them up.

The motor on it, is (from what ive heard) a common motor used for both 25km/h version and 45km/h versions. It's 48V 1500W. It says on it : "BL48V1500W09060086D"

The controller is 48V 50A, which would mean Max 2400W. (correct me if i'm wrong)
So it would seem i would have what is needed to go beyond the 23km/h that is my max now. (15mph)

In the netherlands (where i live) you have 2 types of scooters and mopeds.
the 25km/h version, which which you are allowed to drive without a helmet
and the 45km/h version where you have to have a helmet on.

Almost all mopeds and scooters (electric and gas) come in these 2 versions and are usualy very simple to modify from 1 to the other version.
But i can't seem to find it on this one.

Am i wrong to assume that this scooter could go any faster?

Also the controller brand is J H ? Does anyone know who that is?
It says the brand of the scooter is "Ben Ling" type "BL-Metro"

I'd realy appriciate it if anyone could tell me anything about the companies who made this scooter / controller.
Or knows how to switch between these types, or just increase the speed.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Sorry for the delayed reply to this thread. I'm not familiar with that controller, but suspect that, as AW has said, the motor may well be running at the max speed it can on 48 V. 50 A at 48 V should be enough to give reasonable performance, if the motor really is drawing the 50 A that the controller can deliver.

I'd guess that the motor may well be available is more than one winding type, perhaps a high speed (low turn count) winding version for the higher speed scooter and a lower speed (high turn count) winding version for the low speed scooter.

It is possible that the controller itself is speed limited. Certainly this is something that's commonplace on European ebikes, with some speed limited controllers having a simple link wire that can be removed to de-restrict the maximum speed. One thig that might be useful is to look closely at the controller board where the pads marked "XS" are. These look as if they might, possibly, be related to a speed restrictor, but they don't look to me as if they are linked, unless they are on the underside of the board. It may even be that these pads need to be linked to de-restrict the controller, but before trying this it would be useful to have a view of the underside.

Hi Jeremy,

You are right, the XS is indeed related to the speed.... unfortunatly... it goes slower Lol :)
Picture of the bottom should also be up there (it is for me) but there is only 1 small capacitor.

I realy hope the motor is not the problem in this matter, and i believe other people have the same motor as me, and do 45km/h or higher.
It should have more then enough power to do so.

there is 1 cable that is on the outside. i tried unconnecting it, but it didnt seem to make a diffrence. I expected it to be regenerative breaking.
But maybe i should field test it (only tried with wheel in the air.

Regards
Mike

And with wheel in the air, what speed does the wheel spin at?

As I said before, knowing that will instantly answer your question to whether it is the controller limiting you or not.

I'm going to field test right now ! lol...

i cant tell what the speed it. speedometer (?) is on front wheel.

back in a bit :)

Do you have a bicycle or exercise bike with a speedometer? Or a friend with one? Just hold the wheel of the bike against hte spinning wheel of the scooter, and watch the speedo, and you'll know how fast it's going unloaded.

Or get a bike speedometer (borrow, buy, whatever) and isntall it on the rear wheel. It only has to be there for the test.

Well wasnt hard to field test.. im back.

regenerative breaking :(
It stil only goes like 24km/h (14mph)

Mike

It sounds to me like you're being artificially restricted by the controller, or else 48V is not enough to go very fast. You could replace the controller with something better, maybe from Kelly. Otherwise, figure out how to bypass the speed governor. On my original controller (similar looking to yours), this involved undoing one plug. That's it. The bump was modest though: from 32KMPH to an unrestricted, whopping 43KMPH (at 72V full charge). The limiter was then the controller and batteries, which couldn't output much power.

A 50A limit on your controller is not great either, but before you exceed that value, you'd do best to see if your batteries can take it. 50A on my bike now gets me way faster than it used to, but that's after a controller and battery replacement. I'm currently using the same 500W motor. On it, I can reach 65KMPH (30A cruising speed). At 84V full charge, this is ~2.5kW. Peak draw is >5kW, hence heat is a concern. If you link up a Cycle Analyst, you can learn more about what your bike's doing. But on a 1500W motor, you should be able to outdo me provided your controller and battery is up to snuff. I'd say increase battery voltage and replace the controller, but easier said than done, and $$.

This controller have 3 "gears".
You can select 1 of 3 gears in 3 pin connector
SLOW speed if u connect black and blue wire
MEDIUM speed if disconnect all wires
HIGH speed if u connect black and brown wire

Back