ZERO 2013 brushless motor ( the 75-5 and 75-7)

Doctorbass

100 GW
I am looking for the max info on that new 2013 zero motor including precise spec and dimentions etc.

It exist on two versions: the 75-5(regular 44hp ) and 75-7( higer power 54hp and bigger)

If anyone of you have info on that or own a 2013 zero, please post any info you have on that motor or take some measurement please!

Original 2013 zero with that new motor installed:

2013_zero-s_detail_motor_.jpg

Luke's death bike using one(i think...) :twisted:

IMG_20120917_131113.jpg

file.php

file.php

file.php

liveforphysics.jpg

Actual general spec from zero are:
•Available in two configurations: 75-5 and 75-7
•Capable of as much as 54 hp and 70 ft-lbs of torque (LIMITED BY THE CONTROLLER SEVCON GEN 4 SIZE 4)
•Impressive torque and a broad power band
•Designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles to be the best electric motorcycle motor
•Efficient, powerful, compact, brushless and sealed
•Requires no routine maintenance
•Passively air-cooled requiring no complex cooling systems

It's a inrunner type motor with stator winding on the outside and rotor with magnets on the rotor on the center.
(this allow better heat transfer)

I know the designer is a Canadian

Doc

Small typo it is an inrunner

Biff posted a vid of 2013 on the dyno

I imagine
Once they sell the glut of 2012 powertrains and keep some motors for repairs
And get caught up selling 2013 bikes (big military order)
They will begin selling 2013 motors for the aftermarket

flathill said:
Small typo it is an inrunner

Biff posted a vid of 2013 on the dyno

I imagine
Once they sell the glut of 2012 powertrains and keep some motors for repairs
And get caught up selling 2013 bikes (big military order)
They will begin selling 2013 motors for the aftermarket

Typo corrected, Thnaks :wink:

yeah i remember i sat that motor on the dyno. i will look at the electricmotorcycleforum for Biff info

Doc

holy crap thats amazing.. LOL.... go luke!!

Doctorbass said:
•Capable of as much as 54 hp and 70 ft-lbs of torque

This is only a controller limit of a Size4 Sevcon, not a motor capability limit.

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:
•Capable of as much as 54 hp and 70 ft-lbs of torque

This is only a controller limit of a Size4 Sevcon, not a motor capability limit.

yeah, that's true Luke that's what i tought, that motor already prooved to be able to give 60hp on the dyno.. ... at the wheel with a gen 4 size 6 :twisted:

How much max power do you think it really can take without additional cooling?

Doc

Doctorbass said:

Doc

It operates with the identical set of physics that all the motors you've got years of experience playing with. If you can keep it cool you can keep pumping more power into it. If you have it in some little enclosed insulated box with minimal airflow, like any motor it will eventually melt with any amount of power entering it that exceeds the energy leaving it.

I've never found any point where more power in didn't make more power out if that's what you're asking, but of course some amount would saturate it's core and it would burn up eventually as all motors will do if you've got a big enough controller/battery to hit them with.

Also, deathbike's motor is not identical, just very similar. There is only 1 in the world of deathbikes exact motor. The Zero motor has many things better about it and various other differences.

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:

Doc

It operates with the identical set of physics that all the motors you've got years of experience playing with. If you can keep it cool you can keep pumping more power into it. If you have it in some little enclosed insulated box with minimal airflow, like any motor it will eventually melt with any amount of power entering it that exceeds the energy leaving it.

I've never found any point where more power in didn't make more power out if that's what you're asking, but of course some amount would saturate it's core and it would burn up eventually as all motors will do if you've got a big enough controller/battery to hit them with.

Also, deathbike's motor is not identical, just very similar. There is only 1 in the world of deathbikes exact motor. The Zero motor has many things better about it and various other differences.

I was curious to know if somone at zero... probably you, have ever tested it to the limit in normal operating conditions ( airflow,etc)

I guess that the one on your deathbike is one of the first revision of the zero motor that are now improoved for the production right?

For that price ( about 1200$ each) would you choose the 75-7 or if you would spend 1200$ on another motor than this one?... I guess it is the 75-7 right?

Doc

this motor has one great advantage compared to any bicycle hub with the copper coils as part of the casing

where can we buy this motor?

will it run on a infinion controller?..

-steveo

steveo said:
this motor has one great advantage compared to any bicycle hub with the copper coils as part of the casing

where can we buy this motor?

will it run on a infinion controller?..

-steveo

Probably would require a hall sensor retrofit, as I believe they run encoders.

Doctorbass said:

For a second or two I was thinking this was a deliberate deranged/exotic hubless wheel mount. Then I realize it's just a tattered mess of what used to be a wheel. Mission accomplished?

Yep, that's how LFP likes it, soaking up those unique experiences. Keep in mind that he was riding Deathbike one handed out fetching food, and the important part was that the food arrived intact. He did the same when he was down here 3 years ago on a road I don't like much riding during the day, and he brought pizzas back on one of my bikes running a pretty tame 12kw....at night...no lights. He's got some incredible night vision to go with his giant brass balls. :mrgreen:

rektide said:
Doctorbass said:

For a second or two I was thinking this was a deliberate deranged/exotic hubless wheel mount. Then I realize it's just a tattered mess of what used to be a wheel. Mission accomplished?

I'm in a dilema right now:

3 options:

basic power:
-75-5 motor
-size 4 controller ( same as the 2013 FX)
-44hp 420A 116V

Fun power:
-75-7 motor
-size 4 controller ( same as the 2013 S and DS)
-54hp 420A 116V
add 421$

Exrtreme power:
-75.7 motor
-size 6 controller ( same as TTXGP zero racers use :twisted:)
-63hp 660A 116V
add 879$

:roll: I hate these choice to do!!! I dont want to regret not having choosed the 75-7 or the size 6 controller... but total is pricey !!

One more thing: the sevcon controller are not as easy as other to program and to do that the programmer is about 900$ !!!
In that case i have 3 choices:
- choose a different controller ex: Kelly and install hall snesor in that motor.. ( will it work?? could i loose significant performances?) I remember Luke said it was tricky to adjust on his death bike!)
- get it programmed by zero for the 75-X motor like stock 2013 model : ADD 250$
- Buy the programmer and share the price with other that might be interested to share it ? or loan it to recover a bit of investment...

Any experience and help will be appreciated !

Doc

Doc.

Life is short.

We are a long time dead.

Go for the biggest baddest option! We can always earn more money (and seek forgiveness from our better halfs!)

Word.

:twisted:

Doc

If you are looking to buy controller and motor let me know

I may be interested in a motor and controller for a atv project

Gen 4 size 6!!!

Go big or go home $$$
Lol
Thanks
Steveo

Doctorbass said:
I'm in a dilema right now:

3 options:

basic power:
-75-5 motor
-size 4 controller ( same as the 2013 FX)
-44hp 420A 116V

Fun power:
-75-7 motor
-size 4 controller ( same as the 2013 S and DS)
-54hp 420A 116V
add 421$

Exrtreme power:
-75.7 motor
-size 6 controller ( same as TTXGP zero racers use :twisted:)
-63hp 660A 116V
add 879$

:roll: I hate these choice to do!!! I dont want to regret not having choosed the 75-7 or the size 6 controller... but total is pricey !!

One more thing: the sevcon controller are not as easy as other to program and to do that the programmer is about 900$ !!!
In that case i have 3 choices:
- choose a different controller ex: Kelly and install hall snesor in that motor.. ( will it work?? could i loose significant performances?) I remember Luke said it was tricky to adjust on his death bike!)
- get it programmed by zero for the 75-X motor like stock 2013 model : ADD 250$
- Buy the programmer and share the price with other that might be interested to share it ? or loan it to recover a bit of investment...

Any experience and help will be appreciated !

Doc

After experiencing the awesome power of all the setups. I would say that the 75-7 and the size 4 is the way to go.

Hey Doc,

The only reason for not buying the "big kit" if I'm reading this post correctly is money otherwise, you choose the big kit right ?

Then go for the big kit my friend because one day or another you will regret the other choices, i think, good day.

Black Arrow

With some light modifications the 75-7 WILL fit to my 2011 frame :wink: I made a foam 3D model shape of it and it should be ok.

Next step will be to install a 2nd 4kWh 2011 battery in the frame !! :shock:.. This should leave about 5 inch room spacing to the ground.

Doc

Fishmasterdan said:
did you ever get your Zero?? I am thinking of buying one. I am looking for real reviews from fellow eriders.

I had 6 Zero :wink: :wink: .. but 3 that work and 2 that i still have.

Last one is a 2012 Zero S. it is still stock because i had to wait for the warranty and i got my motor back from zero last week for some update on the encoder. I now have everything. next mod can be two things:

a Size 6 controller or a ZF3 battery that i add to it to get 10.5kWh real energy availlable.

Doc

Where do you find the Zero motors for sale on the web?

This can't be the price.

For that price ( about 1200$ each) would you choose the 75-7 or if you would spend 1200$ on another motor than this one?... I guess it is the 75-7 right?

Doc

Back